1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Window Tinting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Dec 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

Any suggestions for a place in Houston area?

What should I/should I not get, about how much should I be spending on a sedan?

Know nothing about it, obviously, any suggestions appreciated.

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Executive Tine on Hilcroft. Check out their reviews, they have something for every budget and offer the best of the best. That's my 2 cents.

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Executive tint *****

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think you will average around 100-200$ for car tint from what I remember.

Make sure you look into what type of tint film the place uses and what percentage of tint you want. Going too dark of a tint I believe will get you pulled over and a fine.

The scale goes by number then percentage IE 5% tint. The higher the number the lighter the tint is.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

based on the numbers of swangers I have to dodge whilst lane splitting I think that is an unrealistic fear.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My brother has a car audio shop that does window tinting. Car Tunes. It's located in League City (Clear Lake Area).

8. AB423

AB423 Member

Has anyone failed an inspection for darker then legal tint?

9. AB423

AB423 Member

or gotten a ticket for dark tint?

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

yes I have.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm looking for a tint as well. Did some research and came across Ceramic being the best for the best sunlight protection. Also kept coming across Huper Optik as being the best brand along with 3M.

Anyone have any insight for any of this?

I think I might just go to Executive Tint unless I can find somewhere cheaper.

12. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I have gotten a ticket and failed inspection. It's annoying but it's a risk you take. i had 15 on the side and 5 on the back. It looks clean but definitely makes it tough to see at night.

13. faraza84

faraza84 Member

There is a place on beltway 8 near spencer hwy that does work for the infinti dealership so I took my car there and they did a great job.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If you're going high end, expect to pay $600+ depending on the size of your car.

Huper Optik makes great ceramics. 3M's Crystalline is another very good ceramic, one of the better TSER with high VLT ratios. Llumar Pinnacle Formula One series is also good. These three were very comparable depending on how dark you wanted, but 3M was a bit more than the others.

I went with Photosync. It's a relatively newer film and one that many owners with high end cars like Teslas go with. It's very expensive, but it has the best TSER:VLT ratio if you don't want your car to look dark.

15. ItsMyFault

I have a coupe, so it's not really that big. When I called Exec Tint last time, the guy quoted me $350 I believe for Huper Optik.

Is it worth getting Photosync in your opinion for the heat rejection alone? That's my biggest thing being in this Houston summer weather.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I like my Photosync. I drive a small SUV with large windows and a moonroof so my car gets plenty hot.

Honestly, I'd say it depends on what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it. I wanted the best heat rejection with lightest tint I could, and Photosync is the best for that. Houston's Photosync dealer is EVS Motors, and they quoted me about $1300 for all the windows + windshield. In Austin, it's Sun Tint and they quoted around $1000 for windows only, no windshield. I drove to Jay's Detail in San Antonio because he quoted $1000 for everything and he did a great job. Being in Austin, I had options so I could easily shop around.

$350 for Huper Optik's ceramic on a coupe is a fair price. It's more of a charcoal look whereas Photosync has a blue hue, if that matters to you. The negative to Photosync would be its high price and that it's from a relatively unknown new player to the tinting field. All of the numbers it boasts haven't been independently verified, and most feedback is anecdotal only. If the price sets you off, the company makes a better-priced tint called Ceraluxe. There are some Photosync comparison tests on YouTube, but take it with a grain of salt because it's also anecdotal. For me, Photosync has made a huge difference in the heat rejection and I like it.

1 person likes this.
  17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Executive Tint is the place to go. I have had all my vehicles done here and they are amazing. It isn't cheap if you want some heat blocking, legit tint; but you get what you pay for.

18. The Boz

The Boz Member

Had my truck tinted with SunTek carbon tint 12 years ago at International Audio in Deer Park. Came with lifetime warranty, although not needed. It has been outside since then. The tint looks like it was done yesterday. No fading, no cracks, no bubbles.

19. ItsMyFault

Thanks for all the info!

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it's posts like the one you quoted that make this site so amazing.

:)