1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car purchase advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Oct 10, 2015.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm not a car nut and have been carless since I moved to Manhattan in 2004. Prior to that, when I lived in Houston, I had an Infiniti G35, and before that I had a series of Jeeps.

I just moved to the suburbs and need a vehicle.
    I would basically only use it to go skiing on the winter weekends (my daughters have theater and dance on winter weekends so I have free pass to ski), and soccer practice/baseball practice in the spring/summer/fall. I take the train to work as its way more convenient and I can enjoy happy hour guilt-free. I will not drive the car during the week at all, but my wife might use it to zip around town while the kids are in school. When I go skiing I go fairly deep into the mountains in Vermont so I need AWD. And I need to be able to carry my skis with me (I can put down the trunk into backseat if need be)

I'm willing to spend 45 grand or a monthly lease of 500.

Any recommendations?

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Any suv with awd will work.

2016 Lexus RX is nice.
    [​IMG]

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

gtr seems to be fine in the snow.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

by the way it's AWD :cool:

5. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

You could take a look at the Acura RDX and max it out (with AWD) and stay under budget, they start at around $35K. The MDX is the next step up but you may have to dial back on the bells and whistles.

I've driven both and I'll probably get one as my wife's next car.

http://www.acura.com/RDXLanding.aspx?model=RDX#gallery

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

WRX Wagon

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Whenever I am in Denver or Salt Lake City...I see nothing but Subarus...

But as the poster said above..an MDX with AWD is a good choice.

8. what

what Member

Why in the world would you spend nearly 50 grand on a vehicle? Does make a whole lotta sense to me, unless it is just a status symbol.

You could get a perfectly good vehicle for 30 and under. At 50 you can basically get what you want.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

And it only comes in manual, the only proper way to drive. Less distracted driving.

10. fchowd0311

Some people like nice cars with performance.

There is no practical need for this:[​IMG]

But if you drove it with no legal limits for 5 minutes, you would understand why someone would want it if they had the financial means to buy it.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Might be cheaper to rent what you need when you need.

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Just get a jeep wrangler unlimited sahara or altitude edition. both topped out are only 42K sticker if that.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I still don't think I get it. Where do you drive where there are no legal limits in place, and how often would you drive there?

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Every time I visit Vermont, it seems like almost everyone drives a Subaru. Maybe there's something to that?

15. fchowd0311

The track is one place. Also, canyon carving. Taking a Cayman GT4 on some secluded windy mountain roads is exhilarating. I'm sure if you tried it you would love it bearing in mind you can drive stick as that car only comes in a 6 speed. It's not just about acceleration and speed with these cars. It's how telepathic and instant every input is, from the quick steering response, to immediate throttle response, to a short shifting notchy manual transmission. It's like driving a really powerful gocart with bluetooth surround sound stereo and leather bucket seats. Yes, if you buy something like this, there is a good chance that you will break the law on multiple occasions. I'm not denying it.

Watch this video. Maybe you might not find it fun, but at least after watching the video, you can see why it might be fun for some. It's a hobby, an expensive hobby no doubt.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y1LhUzL3qdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#15 fchowd0311, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  16. fchowd0311

This is true. It's because of their excellent symmetrical awd system.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Go with a WRX

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

Ignore all the weak posts of Subarus..... There is only one choice for awd...... What I drive.... Mitsubishi Evo X......

[​IMG]

19. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Go with Subaru.

I live near Squaw Valley, CA (Tahoe northshore) and most of us drive Outbacks and Foresters. I bought my 2015 Forester 2.0 XT Touring with an all-weather package (got snow tires somewhere else for $1200) for $28k (incl. TT&L).

Highly recommend getting certified dealer pricing from cars.com before test driving. Always good to have the average dealer selling price (often below MSRP) for leverage in negotiations. I started negotiating at $5k under MSRP and drove out 2 hours later at $7,400 under MSRP.

Not sure how strong the Subaru market is in Vermont, but I imagine dealers are competing hard for the same target customer.

Best of luck!

20. fchowd0311

Excellent choice for winter driving. Only downfall is that I believe it only comes in manual which might be a no for the OP.