1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omair, Jun 23, 2006.

1. omair

omair Contributing Member

I have a 99 Acura cl 3.0L
    Today as i was driving home all of a sudden transmission stopped upshifting and it would stay on 2nd gear and jus rev the engine. I turned off the car and turned it off but turned off the AC and it was going normal again, it was just changing gears at the wrong time it seemed.
    I went home and took it to auto zone but the computer read nothing. THen my car wouldnt start and wouldnt jump either. I figred the battery was old so i bought another one and then the car started working 100percent again. Problem solved! or so i thought. It was shifting like normal and everything.
    A few hours later im trying it out again and the problem starts again.

When in first gear, it wont shift to second until i brake almost completly, then it goes to second as im braking. It wont go to third.
    I pray that my transmission hasnt given out and hope that its the computer sending the wrong signals to the transmission (that would explain the AC and the new battery) But it doesnt make sense.
    What could it be?

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

maybe u need a new car?

3. omair

Thats true, but im a college student with lots of bills. This is the first problem i have had with the car.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

My GMC truck had a shifting problem in the transmission caused by some internal component. It only happened when I would drive on long trips. I would pull over, turn the truck off and then it would go away, but would come back when I would get down the road a ways.

What I'm saying is this - GM finally replaced just about every mechanical part. Fortunately, it was under warranty at the time. All cars are computerized. It was a mechanical issue that caused a computer state.

I'm willing to bet that you have an internal problem. The computer might have reset when you replaced the battery.

Check the parts involved in the transmission.

Sounds expensive.

Sorry :(

5. omair

Thanks alot, i noticed that too. After i turned off the engine for a while it went fine but after about 10 to 20 minutes the problem started.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Check the ECM. Had a similar problem a few years ago. I have a feeling that is your problem. Before someone finally figured it out, it was the most mysterious and bizarre car problem I ever had. It drove me almost completely mad for a 6 weeks.

7. omair

The 2000-2003 Cl had thier transmissions recalled.
    Sucks that mine is a 99 :mad:

How would i go about checking the ECM and determining if it is causing the slips?

#7 omair, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  8. omair

I am starting to think its the alternator or the regulator because i just went through my second battery in as many days. Could that have an effect on the transmission?

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Hate to say it buddy, but sounds like that car might be more trouble than it's worth. It might be time to move on. :eek:

10. updawg

updawg Member

you can pull the alternator and take it autozone and have them test it. not too hard. don't go to a dealership

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

If you put a new battery in, and its already dead, then it is definitely the alternator (in theory, once you start your car, you can take the battery out and still drive the car normally because the alternator is what is powering the car). When your alternator goes out, your car starts to run off the battery instead, which will quickly drain it.

I highly doubt the transmission problem is a ECM or TCM problem.

Did you drive through any high water?