1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capitalism Vs Democracy World Wide Wealth Tax Needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Mar 6, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I merely answered in the exact same tone you chose. You cannot seriously throw a punch and then whine when you get one back.

You made a comment about what - in your mind - the culmination of capitalism would be. You cannot then go and say you are not interested in debating capitalism.

Seriously? :confused:

No, mine is based on widely recognized knowledge. Yours is based on...nothing.

No, you are exactly describing communism. This is exactly what the situation in the Soviet Union or in East Germany was: There was ONE massive corporation (the government) with branches in every industry and massive control of the labor supply. The barriers of entry were so high that no competitor was viable.

In capitalism, however, this is not true. One can see that even seemingly dominant players eventually get attacked by smaller, more innovative companies.

If your point is to say that capitalism needs checks, balances and "pure capitalism" needs to be curtailed, as by antitrust laws, etc., then I agree with that.

It should be obvious that I didn't mean to say that every left-leaning person everywhere wants a 100 % tax rate. I made an overstated counterpoint to a silly statement.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Whatever you say friend.

Have a great day.

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I accept your unconditional surrender. Have a great day as well.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I've read his works, but I don't really adhere to Nietzsche - I'm pretty much a fascist, after all, and anyone of intellect knows that he wasn't one, contrary to what popular culture dictates. But fascism as a ideology shamelessly picks and chooses what it likes from a wide variety of disparate thinkers such as Nietzsche, which is why it 1. can be such an incoherent ideology and 2. why it's practically impossible to shove it on a left right axis.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

What !?!? Fascist?

So, I guess I see where we stand then. No point in carrying the conversation further. Thanks for the discussion though. I feel I can work with / find common ground with anyone, but not Fascists. I can list the reasons why, but what for? Really, someone who is admittedly Fascist can only deal with non-fascists by means of coercion --which I am fine with. Hopefully we can meet each other in that regard one day -- it will be exciting.

EDIT: Also, wanted to thank you for pointing out Nietzsche was not a fascist. G__ D___ right he wasn't! It frustrates me to no end that people claim he was, even though he explicitly stated his hatred for anti-semitism, racism, conservatism and nationalism, as well as the proto-fascist groups of his day.

#45 HamJam, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not sure if srs.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

A one-time surcharge in France is indicative of the opinions of "leftists" in America in what way?

Apparently, I'm not the one who needs a more comprehensive understanding of the world.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I said "pretty much", which doesn't mean totally. Or rather, since fascism is an incredibly incoherent ideology, there's quite a bit of leeway in what is and isn't fascist - which is of course why you have all sorts of professors and thinker defining fascism every which way which naturally doesn't coincide with their ideologies.

Take democracy, for example. Should an American fascist oppose democracy because fascism has a problem with democracy, or should it support it because America values democratic culture highly and fascism also places a big premium on preserving cultural norms? My answer is the latter. So, "fascist who doesn't really mind democracy" could of course be contradictory, but it could also not be.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Apparently, you are the one who doesn't read before he posts. As was proven in this thread.

10. GladiatoRowdy

I missed your quote, true enough, but you still haven't showed how "leftists" are in any way calling en masse for 100% taxation, which is what you claim they all want.

Your statement is bull****, I admitted my mistake, are you capable of admitting yours?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would like someone to explain to me why raising taxes is inherently wrong. We had an incredible economic boom in the United States that literally raised up a middle class, funded a huge military, built the Interstate Highway System, funded NASA as we explored the Moon, among other things, and did all that with a tax rate far higher than the rates my Republican friends love to complain about today. How was all that possible? I was witness to much of that. Was I deluded by some great conspiracy?

Also, you guys sure get mad at each other!

1 person likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are still not reading the posts. Read more, post less nonsense.

13. GladiatoRowdy

It certainly wasn't as obvious as you seem to think it was. What you posted was hyperbolic nonsense.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not if one doesn't read the post, certainly not.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

They can't except for "libertarian" cultists who define taxation as theft. They have been had so badly by folks many pay grades above them, but they spread this meme around. I think it sort of like buying a lottery ticket for many. It makes them feel rich somehow or a peer of the billionaires their theories help out.

One could argue they are just being altruistically true to their belief system. However, since they claim no morality but their own individual interest you have to conclude they are just duped in supporting trickle up.