1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Why not?

Why not? Member

As much as I love Capela and believe in his potential (like he’s no question better than Holmes right now), he was a total waste of roster space against Golden State. Holmes can’t switch on to Curry or Durant with any success either so it’s really a moot point. Capela’s value is during the regular season and only situationally in the playoffs.

I want him back but not at $100m. Not at the cost of our future. 5/$85m was a very reasonable and responsible offer. He has a long way to go before he’s really worth a $100m contract. Guys like Steven Adams only got what he got because of the cap spike. Capela and his agent are delusional.

I’m just waiting for a “we know our rights” comment now...

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we stop responding to the obvious troll? The only notable thing Jopatmc/basketballholic is how confidently he has been wrong over and over again.

Back to the topic at hand, I am worried the rational thing to do is for Clint to take the QO. There is a much bigger market next year. I hope I'm wrong and that we can settle around 5/95.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I just don’t think people realize the impact capela DID have against gsw.

Draymond was stuck to him like glue. HE outplayed him and out muscled him but he was absolutely focused on stopping capela more than anything else.

I don’t think people understand how important that was. One of the best defenders ever, made it his goal to try and eliminate capelas impact on offense.

Hes one of the best ever and he succeeded, that’s why we went small ball 5 it’s PJ so much. Not defense issues....

They stopped the lob. So we countered offensively with 5 out.

Capela being outplayed by Draymond isn’t a bad thing either. He bested towns and gobert but couldn’t best Draymond who is clearly the beat out of the group.

noppeper, Nook, dc rock and 3 others like this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's exactly why Melo is important as well. Melo is a handful for Draymond to the point it frees up Capela to dominate the paint hence why the Cousins acquisition was needed for GS.

5. dmoneybangbang

Hopefully a 2 year deal can satisfy both parties at this point.

Why not? and rockbox like this.
  6. basketballholic

Screenshot_2018-07-16-21-34-02-1-1.jpg

Why not?, BigMaloe and Fullcourt like this.
  7. basketballholic

Foolishness is paying capela and Anderson to watch the game when it's crunch time. Which is exactly what they'll be doing if we pay Capela and don't trade Anderson.

Why not? and cheke64 like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn. You must have more time to kill than I do, and I'm retired.

alethios likes this.
  9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Why is everyone even indulging in this discussion? Keep capela

10. basketballholic

So.........what was the results of the possessions where Clint defended Durant??? What was the points given up per possession?

Bottom line: This is minutia. We had to bench Capela to try to win.

11. basketballholic

That took 45 seconds.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Far out! Consider your fast action producing whatever that was applauded. Hey, I can read really fast, with high comprehension. I was tested. Ain't that the cat's PJ's? My significant other is allergic to cats, so I have to experience the animals vicariously, so to speak. I had a cool cat with violet eyes like Liz Taylor, a kitty that I named Banana back in 1970, at my rental house in Montrose. He would sit on my lap and stare at me for 15 minutes at a stretch. Got sort of difficult to concentrate on my reading after awhile.

See? It all ties together, like your obsession with Capela. An obsession isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm obsessed with seeing the Rocks win another championship. You can be obsessed with proving somehow that you were "right" about Clint. I won't hold it against you. Carry on!

alethios likes this.
  13. basketballholic

In light of you have zero stats to justify the "he canceled Green out" comment....I'll take it. Wanna look at drtg? There's like a 4 point spread between CC and PJ.

Forget all that. Go back and watch the games and watch the Warriors pick out Capela and burn him. It's nonsensical to even say him and green canceled each other out much less actually believe it.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know, do you know how to find those stats? All I know is every time I saw Clint switch on to KD I was pleasantly surprised with how well Clint guarded him. The only guy Clint couldn't guard on the Warriors was Curry. Clint did okay against Klay, did well against KD.

There are only so many players that can replicate what guys like Draymond and PJ can do. No real center in the league can guard small guards like Curry and Paul.

The only guy I could imagine being attainable, who could play that role of a switch everything small ball center effectively is James Johnson. I'd be all for that, we could probably get him with Anderson and a 1st considering his negative contract that extends a year later then Andersons. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to retain Clint on a fair deal, whether to keep him or move him for value later. I've already said I'd only want to keep Clint on a fair deal (15% of the 2019-20 cap), if not S&T him if we can or keep him on his QO.

joshuaao likes this.
  15. basketballholic

The obssession is with winning a championship. We simply cannot win a championship with the third and fourth highest paid players both riding the bench in crunch time. Against the Warriors. Every minute counts. And every salary cap dollar counts.

Got to get the roster balanced properly to beat them. Remember I said back in February we didn't have enough. Wet didn't hand enough players in our primary rotation to take down the Warriors. The strategy is there. We've got the formula. We need the players. We need ten guys that can play D, switch, and shoot, with at least 3 of those 10 capable of handing the ball and making plays. We need ten because we're going to have injuries and we need to keep the minutes down on our main guys. Last session proved this.

Capela at $20 million per season doesn't fit. He can't play switching defense well enough to offset his lack of shooting. And against the Warriors that's critical because their defense makes the pick and roll obsolete.

If we can't sign and trade Capela then we need to sign him to a three year deal with an option on the third season so wet can move of his deal expeditiously if needed.

16. basketballholic

Just rewatch the games. I have. And that's what I know. If your really a Rockets fan, a crazy home town fan, you should enjoy rewatching those games, breaking them down, and being confident about what your evaluations of the players is.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I watched the games. Clint guarded KD well, that's my evaluation. I don't know the points per possession.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't pay him $20 million. I think most think that too steep. We'll have to see what happens, but I think we'll keep him for less, and it'll be a bargain, in my opinion.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... have seen all the GS/HOU series three times now and that is enough. I think I am going to err on the side of what Morey and D’Antoni think Capela is worth.

Deuce likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Rewatch the games then. It's right there. Capela cannot guard Durant. That's a mismatch. You're fooling yourself to think otherwise.

Why not? likes this.