1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela signs 5yr, $80mil deal ($90M w/ incentives) with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 27, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And some spread sheets.

King1 likes this.
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Imagine wanting Clint Capela shooting 15 foot jumpers.

3. basketballholic

1. Because I've already answered that question repeatedly.
    2. I do work and don't have time to instantaneously respond to everything.

Right now I want to savor last night's win and this recent streak. I truly enjoyed the game. Best game there has been in the Association this season. Harden is...indescribable. I don't have enough accolades. He's better than he's ever been. Love watching him. IMHO he's the hands down MVP.. should be a unanimous vote if held today.

Capela - he played great! Balls to the wall for 46 minutes. Very gutsy. Nailing those freebies....huge. defensive presence at the rim.....absolutely terrific.

House Jr. - Ballsy bunker fighter. Love his mindset. Has a nice piece of Tucker's grit to his game. So glad we finally realized what he was and we're going to let him grow while playing in the rotation. He's a difference-maker. I saw this one coming last year. Glad he's with us and not somebody else. Bargain.

Rivers - another steal. A gift fallen out of the sky. He's always been better than what he's been given credit for. The defense at the point.....H-U-G-E. Guys, he's as feisty defensively as Beverley. He's perfect for us in the playoffs and especially against the Warriors. Can't wait to see our defense with him after Paul gets healthy. He's a dawg. And he's very motivated to prove the detractors wrong. And we're the beneficiaries. Rivers still has untapped potential. He can be even better.

All that being said...........

I so wish last night's game was game 7 of the WC finals. But it wasn't. It was one regular season game against our nemesis in January.

What did we learn? We learned these guys are fighters. They're gonna fight tooth and nail. Love it, love it, love it.

What else do we know? We know very clearly that we can't switch Capela onto guards EXCEPT for specific game situations. Switching Capela has to be a surprise to the opponent thrust on them in a heated instant when they have limited time to make a play. As was clearly seen once again last night, on display for all of you to observe.... if we simply switch Capela onto Klay, Curry, and KD early in the game, early in the possession, where they have time to back up and iso him......it's a disaster. WILL NOT WORK!

So.......that's a known, a given. We know it. And you can bet the Warriors know it too.

So the Warriors now know when we are and when we aren't going to drop Capela. And they're professionals. Do you think they are working on a counter for that in the playoffs? I hope you do. Because they are.

And that's the problem. ....it's the same problem. The same problem as last year. Guys, he played great. I'm giving him full credit for grinding last night. He beasted.

But that won't work in a 7-game playoff series against the Warriors. They will counter our defense with Capela dropping and burn it. And we'll be right back where any smart basketballer ALREADY KNOWS we have to go to beat the Warriors. We have to go small, switch everything, and have 5 guys that can shoot the 3 to beat them in a 7-game series.

I'm not coming off that guys. I enjoyed the win. I acknowledge Capela is playing great. I've been saying for well over a year that our best defense with Capela in the game was not to switch him off on the perimeter. We've finally done that with him. And we are playing as optimally as we can with him in the lineup. And that's good enough to beat 90% of the teams in the Association. But it will not work, I repeat, it will not work over a 7-game series with the Warriors to beat them.

Look, it took a Herculean effort by Harden and co and a little luck to pull that off last night. We gave up a lot of points. KD and Steph both shot poorly. And the Warriors did not optimize their lineup. We only saw the death lineup for a total of 7 minutes before overtime. They're playing their death lineup an average of 6 minutes a game right now in the regular season.....which is typical. They were playing all sorts of goofy lineups last night....Looney and Jerebko together, etc. This is what they do every year....conserve the minutes of their death lineup during the regular season....then in the playoffs they're running the death lineup for half the game. By the way, they were +6 with their death lineup. Yes, we were short Gordon and Paul. I realize that. So it's not quite apples to apples. Nevertheless, when our guys return....for us to beat the Warriors the smalls will have to consume more minutes and Capela will have to play less minutes.

Remember, the Warriors have upgrades coming. I'm not talking about boogie either. They're going to make roster moves also that make their bench unit stronger.

Finally, this is as good as it gets with this bunch. I like our guys a lot. But we need to upgrade with a shooting 4/5 that can switch defend effectively.

#503 basketballholic, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. basketballholic

I can't imagine it either. But I can imagine being @Downtown Sniper and having some of the worst basketball iq in the world. Doesn't take very much imagination though.

#504 basketballholic, Jan 4, 2019
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol. " I work". So does everyone else here unless they're retired. That doesn't excuse being absolutely wrong about everything and writing Tribeca film festival screenplays trying to excuse the ignorance

fckbandwagons likes this.
  6. King1

What a clown

7. basketballholic

Are we going to beat the Warriors in a 7-game series with Capela playing top 6 rotation minutes with both teams healthy?

I'm telling you no. Very clearly no.

Have some balls. Answer the question definitively.

Or shut up.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Clint is the perfect roll man for Harden.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. basketballholic

And here's your clown, you silly doofus.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/relax.291195/

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

someone woke up with quite an attitude. I wonder why. last night turned out to be great for any true rockets fan. anyone upset is just bitter about any of their agenda doubts or whining whatever that may be

rinse, wash, repeat, recycle

topfive likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes, we are. Very clearly yes. We are going to beat the Warriors in a 7-game series with Capela playing top 6 rotation minutes with both teams healthy. Absolutely.

And my answer is just as definitive as yours (and more correct).

We just took down the "dynasty" at full strength, on their home court, with us missing 2 of our top 6 guys. And Capela played the most minutes of anyone on either team.

Most of the time you're wrong, Holic. Occasionally, you are very wrong. But this time you are spectacularly insane-asylum wrong.

The fact that you can't bring yourself to admit it is comical (and likely pathological, but that's a different story).

#511 topfive, Jan 4, 2019
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We need to get ballsy. Of course we had HC advantage and should have closed out but the team came close, and will come close again.

We still need younger talents for the next seasons though.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cousins is their new grim reaper in their death lineup. He can bring more toughness and finesse.

14. MystikArkitect

Durant already disrupted their offense. Can’t wait to see Boogie taking away Durant’s shots.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. King1

I'm completely fine with Clint playing in the series. Are we going going to beat the Warriors as currently assembled; probably not.

That's what the trade deadline is for and not your fictional nonsense

16. King1

I'm completely fine with Clint playing in the series. Are we going going to beat the Warriors as currently assembled; probably not.

That's what the trade deadline is for and not your fictional nonsense

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's a damn shame that the NBA doesn't allow teams to counter once they've been countered against. Otherwise, when the Warriors counter our defense, Bzeldik could throw a variation at them. *sigh*

Because they are they defending champs at full strength, and we were missing 2 of our top 5 guys and playing on their home court. It required a strong effort. What part of that is hard for you to understand, Mr. Basketball Genius? Context means something!

KD shot just barely under his season average, and Curry shot just over his. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to actually watch the game, 'cause it was very entertaining.

Again, it's a damn shame that the league has told Morey that he can't make any more moves this season.

#517 topfive, Jan 4, 2019
    Downtown Sniper and YOLO like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

He also brings another superstar ego AND will be doing his best to show he's worth a max contract this summer. The potential for major problems is even greater than the potential for smoothly working him in.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thus grim reaper, could be to their team and the rest of teams.

topfive likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Either way it'll be interesting, that's for sure.