1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela progressing rapidly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Put it this way: it may not mean much that he's dominating the D-league, but it's much better that he dominate it than not. I'm pretty sure if you don't dominate the D-league, then that's a bad sign.

In statistical terms, dominating the D-league has a low positive predictive value and a high negative predictive value for becoming really good in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  2. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Very well put. Dominating the D-League is what any NBA level talent should do, but doing so doesn't necessarily prove that a player has NBA level talent. Basically, it's a crap shoot. T-Will, Dorsey, and Brooks are 3 players that come to mind that all played well in their D-League stints when assigned there by the Rockets. Out of those 3, one is a very serviceable backup PG who I would gladly take on this team even now. Dorsey shouldn't be sniffing an NBA court, and Terrence Williams was so talented, but he just wasn't able to put it all together on the NBA level. A couple of triple doubles showed what he could do, but he was too inconsistent to make an impact on a good team. It is still a useful tool for teams to get their younger players on the court regularly who wouldn't be getting minutes on the NBA level, but it doesn't serve as the best measuring stick for NBA readiness.

1 person likes this.
  3. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Yes, he looked lost in his NBA debut, but dude is wicked fast around the basket!

Looking forward to see him back in a Rockets uniform.

1 person likes this.
  4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

^^ he will be traded in feb

5. dragician

dragician Member

fools gold.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

TJones, DMo, Canaan, Covington, Daniels

7. Textroets

Textroets Member

This. I am 100% a Rocket supporter but I feel after watching Capela in action in 10 or so games that this guy will never be of any importance to the Rockets or the Nba for that matter. He'll be another one of those guys who can put up decent numbers in the d league but can't cut it in the Nba.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

No offense, but the kid has played 7 total minutes in the NBA. And he's only 20. Let the kid grow into his own before you declare him as nothing.

I'm not saying he'll be a star, or even that he'll be good. But you've got to give him time before you come to the conclusion that he is not an NBA player.

He has the size and athleticism to clearly be a relevant big in this league for years to come. He also has time to put it together, seeing as he's ONLY 20 years old.

Some people are so quick to judge. He may not contribute for a year or two...but who's to say he won't be good in 3-4 years, when he's 24?

9. bongman

bongman Member

10 games and you are sure? Rockets need to hire you as one of their scouts.

Have you heard of a hall of farmer named Mutombo who's contributions are mainly blocking and rebounding? Rodman, Ben Wallace, Birdman and Tyson Chandler were major contributors to their teams championships. If the clippers ever get there, Jordan would be a major contributor.

1 person likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't remember the last time a player was assigned to the D-league and didn't put up great numbers.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't really get this comparison. He reminds you of Sampson.....because he's tall and black???

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

Machado. He couldn't shoot, defend or pass.

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

don't know if it was intentional or not, but can't stop laughing! :grin::grin:

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

These D-league highlights look terrible. 80 points at halftime? Also I have yet to see defense (except for the occasional block).

That being said Capela is doing what he should and that is dominate. How well it translates in NBA games is yet to be determined, but I did not expect him to have an impact this year or the next, so he has some time left.

15. FeaR

FeaR Member

Reno is an abomination of a bball team. Also Vipers have only Capela(6"11) . Everyone else is <6"9. They can't defend.

16. bongman

bongman Member

It wasn't but definitely got me laughing too. Thanks, I needed that. :)

17. dje243

dje243 Member

I can't be the only one excited about the future possible front court pairing of DMO and Capela right? We really need to hang onto both.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'm guessing you did not watch Ibaka his rookie year.

19. Zbed

Zbed Member

That's a HUGE front line I am also pumped

20. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

According to Coachbadlee Machado was the future haha