1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela progressing rapidly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Lol. Dude's on the decline now unfortunately.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm 100% positive that those "kindergartners" would destroy me if I tried to play basketball against them.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

TJones and DMo were killing it too. Like many have pointed out, DLeague defense is much worse than Euroleague, let alone NBA.

Off topic, since there is some discussion of whether DMo should be a 4 or a 5. Do you guys think that Hakeem would be labeled a 4 in today's NBA?

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm sure by now @dmorey has forwarded this YouTube clip to every GM in the NBA (maybe twice "on accident" to the Phoenix GM).

Seriously, could you imagine being able to grab Dragic without having to deal away Motiejunas? Capela could have a lot to do with that.

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

Not really since Hakeem isn't a stretch 4 and doesn't shoot threes or long midrange. The young Hakeem that didn't have shoot outside as much would be considered a true center. His skills are mainly postup which is identified as a center's skill.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They lost.. so did he have a positive impact??

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol. Bring him up and let's see how much he's improved. I'm not saying he hasn't, but D-League defenses are horrific. Even in those highlights, it's like the defender was nowhere to be found, reaching for the ball, or swimming on the floor for some reason. I want Clint to do well, but he looked lost in his minimal NBA time and you don't go from that to a monster like he's showing in the D-League in a matter of days unless the competition you're facing just sucks. I hope he does well, though.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I believe he will be something nice, just let him keep getting better down there.

9. kemah

kemah Member

Remember though that the defenders can't even beat out the scrubs on a NBA team.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

Appears he is still on limited minutes. That 31 points was in 23 minutes, which was the season high for both.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Physically, CC reminds me a little of a smaller Sampson, but he looks to be less "stick-like" in comparison. Ralph couldn't really add a lot of weight, certainly in his lower body. He just wasn't built for it. Capela looks like he could, at least to me. Given a couple of years work, I think he could beef up quite a bit. Look at Donuts, who is far stronger now than when he came in, and hasn't lost any quickness and leaping ability at all, best I can tell (a tribute to the Rockets staff). I'd love to see them playing together someday for the Rocks. It'd be a trip to watch. The kid has a ways to go, however.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He defined himself as a PF when he played in Europe and the 3pt line was shorter

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Good point .Actually , Dmo can be the young Pau if Dwight decided to play more like Noah (D 1st)

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Wait till post-season.

Even on the decline, he can put up 20/10 easily.

Let the team continue to gel and we need some losses to get the team going.

In time....

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Robert Covington was D-League MVP and Troy Daniels holds the record for 3s in a season even though teams knew he wasn't going to shoot unless it was 3. Neither will amount to much in the NBA. I take D-League statistics with a grain of salt.

16. Nivos

Nivos Member

D-leauge numbers doesn't say much but he did put on some muscle in the short time he's here. Seems like every player that get to the states from Europe is putting on significant muscle volume on a very short time.
    There's no steroid tests in the NBA is that right?

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

why do I picture Morey grinning and rubbing his hands together, while thinking "that's it, increase your trade value before the deadline..." lol

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't care about how small of a sample size it is. That dude has looked more lost than just about any basketball player I've ever seen when he's gotten minutes in the NBA during garbage time. He's got a long way to go before we even begin talking about him starting for the Rockets, much less playing.

19. Dankush

Dankush Member

Not to mention he is very small. 6'9 220 is not going to cut it.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So... Yeah... No he's actually nearly as tall as Donatas. I know this because I stood there when they were standing side by side. Maybe an inch shorter at the most. He's def taller than Dwight that's for sure. And that length... The guys arms looked like they were down to his knees.

Yes he has legit NBA center size. If he doesn't than neither does Dwight or DMo or nearly any NBA big man not the size of Yao.

In the NBA you are as big as how you play. We will see how skilled he gets to be able to play the 4, but right now he's all 5 which is good for the ease of him picking up the Rockets plays if he's called up. The 5 should be easier to grasp on the fly.

It's just a matter of is he strong enough to play against NBA 5's or just DLeague 5's. I think he can handle some NBA bench bigs but obviously he's not going to bode well yet against starting caliber 5's. I think he will get some burn after the trade deadline for sure so he's still got some time before we should place judgement.

#60 dobro1229, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.