1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela must play more than 28 minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbie380, May 14, 2018.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He had ZERO personal fouls in 28 min and he’s our best defender and probably the best perimeter defender too. Tucker is great but Capela is the only one who has the size and quickness to deal with Durant. He didn’t look tired at all and I don’t understand why he didn’t stay in when he was never in foul trouble.

We have 4 nights off between game 2 and 3. Capela needs to play 40 min or until he fouls out for us to have a chance. Even if he does foul out I’m sure it will be after he has played more than 28 minutes.

deb4rockets, B-Bob, joshuaao and 9 others like this.
  2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

It was a head scratcher that he didn't get more PT tonight. Capela is one of the team's strengths and I didn't see a reason why he was limited tonight in his minutes.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the 4 nights off plus being down 0-1 means we will see a tight 8 man rotation.

i imagine something like:

capela (32)
    tucker (34) - moute (20)
    ariza (36) - green (10)
    harden (38) - gordon (32)
    paul (38)

robbie380 likes this.
  4. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

We need to stay big. Capela was only -3 and Nene +1. That's only -2 in 34 mins unlike -11 in 14min we didn't have a Big.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree with staying big but Capela is not a typical big. He can guard the perimeter extremely effectively. Rebounding was not a problem when he was out guarding Durant and we beat them on the boards overall.

And I guess he finished near 30 minutes played. Either way, he needs to play 9-10 min/quarter. He will be 24 in a few days. He can handle it.

ramotadab and DonKnock like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We need to play Capela and Ryno for the entire game.

Ryno in particular is a good match up for the Warriors.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

In terms of game management and lineup decisions, this is right up there with one of D'Antoni's worst nights in Houston. His lineups made no sense all night.

Durant, Draymond, Curry, and Klay all played more minutes than Harden and Capela tonight. Neither were in foul trouble. That is about as moronic as it gets.

8. threepointshot3

To me he is our second most valuable player now with cp0 being so inconsistent with his shot and failure iso plays

deb4rockets and robbie380 like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Anderson has been such a disappointment. Or maybe its our utilization of him. Missing 3-pointers is one thing, but this guy has offensive talent and he's just standing out there like a statue. We can't mix in some high post action with him, like the Mavs used to do with Dirk? I guess that's just not how we play, but it feels like such a waste.

B-Bob and robbie380 like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree but he’s such a head case now. If Ryno actually didn’t care and shot the ball with no thought like Gordon does then he would have value. He is an extremely good shooter but he passes up so many open shots and it’s like he forgets he is 6’10”. He gets exposed on perimeter switches on defense but it’s up to our coach to hide him.

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He has been, but we barely played him tonight to really see. Someone mentioned in the game thread, Ryno typically has very good games against the Warriors, we should really try it out more.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Luc continues to be a complete trainwreck on offense and GG doesn't at least approach serviceable on defense, Rockets only have 6 legit rotation players and zero margin for error.

They have to play with purpose, energy and desperation. Didn't see that in game 1, which blew my mind.

I'll say this again: Harden played like a r****d half the time (but he shot the ball really well) and it threw offense out of kilter. He was not all there.

robbie380 likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought they played hard but the problem is they are limited by Harden on offense which is really strange to say. A Spurs fan friend of mine called him Ginobili 2.0 on offense. I get where he’s coming from.

However, Harden has to be perfect in terms of decision making when he’s going against the Warriors. The passing lanes and attacking lanes he thinks he sees close up far too quick and he hesitates and it ****s him up. I don’t know if it’s a player issue or a coach issue.

ramotadab likes this.
  14. payaso

payaso Member

He will never get any rhythm in this series, either behind the line or with his Dirk-ish midrange fall-away he used with NOP, because he cannot recover from getting a look swatted back in his face, or getting the ball slapped away while trying to set up his mid-range. He's earned the title of Barnacle Boy on this team, and I don't see how a team can win with $20M committed to a chair on the bench.

OH... unrelated, but Steve Kerr is playing MDA like a fiddle... going small, MDA feels like he's forced to bench his best defender. How many times did Curry get to the hole? I lost count.

If Rocks can win against GSW without Lebron, it will be from Warrior hubris; it will be Jackson at New Orleans stopping the British from taking the Mississippi. A Rocky Balboa chance, and every game from now on will need to end like Rocky II.

ramotadab and robbie380 like this.
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Players have to realize early on when the opposing defense is particularly keyed up and they have to adapt. Harden has to: (1) Begin the offense sooner in the shot clock because the Warriors half-court D was off the charts and (2) Understand they are anticipating the usual passing lanes.

On defense, I think the Warriors were very prepared for the what the Rockets normally do and the Rockets were unprepared to do anything different from their standard vanilla offense.

ramotadab and robbie380 like this.
  16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Capela is part of our big 3. He needs to play around 36 minutes! Not 28 minutes!:eek:

17. Mr. Space City

capela has shown he can play in this series and be a positive.

he offers rim protection, alley-oop potential, offensive rebounding, even perimeter defense (did d'antoni not see him lock up curry and strip him on the perimeter?}

going small doesn't work when guys can't even hit a shot.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is also a difference maker on offense because he is effectively an extension of Harden or CP3 on offense. No one else can do that.

**** the warriors

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

2 of our Big 3 played less minutes than all of the Warriors 4 All Stars

D'Antoni should be embarrassed

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Capela had some defensive highlights tonight, but in the end, 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks in 30 minutes is not good enough for a player that is about to get a max contract. If Morey is truly obsessed with beating the Warriors, he can't give big contracts to players who don't matchup well against them. He already has a huge mistake on his hands in Anderson.

robbie380 likes this.