1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela, Jones, Smith, and Goudelock...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 23, 2016.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capela was great tonight both on offense and defense, and I don't know why he didn't get more minutes. The hacking factor might be the reason, but I wish he had come back in for the final 2 minutes. Why so much small ball again? Then again, why does Beasley get so few minutes?

I don't know what the deal is with Smith, Jones, and Goudelock. I know Smith came back rusty, but it's been awhile since he has played, and I miss all the alley oops he hit Howard with, which don't happen enough anymore. Smith is a good passer, and had good chemistry with Howard. Jones always seems to have something wrong with him, and is frustrating because he seemed to have so much potential. Goudelock......well, I have no idea what the plan is, but he must have been signed for more than another bench warmer. I just think about all the what ifs when JB keeps going small ball and we still lose.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hey Debbie!

You promised me some pics. Please PM me.

3. supercoolBeas

supercoolBeas Member

I posted this on the other thread, again I am baffled why Capela gets such few minutes. He's a solid big who will only improve further, why not give him PT? Same thing with Mini Mamba. It's not like Jet's shooting lights out. And don't even get me started with Brewer ha.

Beasley's case is kinda understandable. He usually subs for D-Mo during the 6min mark of the 1st or later depending on the play of the starters, then gets subbed out mid-2nd then the same for the 2nd half depending if he's hot. Tonight, the same thing happened but he was out there in like the final 2 minute line-up before being subbed by Brewer for "Defensive purposes" (HOU proceeded to give 5 points to Utah after making such substitution if I remember it right LOL)......Beas is slowly coming down to earth again and at this point guys, this is who he is. That guy who can give you 12 points but on 12 shots. Not too bad I suppose, given the offensive output of the other guys in the team. But clearly, coach still doesn't trust him to close out games due to his defense. He still gets lost on switches and makes some questionable lapses but hey, so does the other guys so Beas doesn't deserve to be crucified that much.

I won't be surprised to see Smoove back in the rotation soon. Jones on the other hand....ehhhh

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bev and terry scored 5pts between the two of them, while getting absolutely torched by shelvin mack. can goudelock really do much worse? can any other PG on any nba roster?

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly!

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As much cap as you guys give Jones, he is still a better option at PF than Dmo.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've given up trying to understand rotations and minutes - JB is just an idiot - end of story...

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Don't get me started with Terrence Jones that guy is terrible.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Call him terrible all you want, but on any given occasion he is going to get you points, double figure rebounds and some blocked shots. All of which help you win games. Can't say the same for Dmo and he's a 7 footer.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This organization needs to grow up and bench Dwight... start Capela send a message to this coward.

1 person likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure why you grouped Jones and Smith with them. Smith maybe, he has ups and downs, but Jones is a massive scrub. He's one of the worst players in the league. Don't let the occasional good statistical game fool you, his complete lack of awareness on both sides of the ball is shockingly bad. D-Mo has not been good this year, he's actually been bad for the most part, but by merely being in the right place more often than not he's a huge upgrade over Jones. If you believe in adjusted plus minus, Jones has actually been the worst PF in the NBA, and there's a huge gulf between him and the guy 2 spots ahead of him. It's not a perfect stat by any means, by when the number is that stark it is very telling.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/RPM/position/6

I certainly do want to see Goudelock ahead of Terry at this point. Terry brings nothing to the table. Goudelock may suck, but at this point we can't do any worse. Capela could use a few extra minutes as well, but from what I've seen his production tends to drop with more minutes. His body still isn't ready for extended run.

12. Remlap

Remlap Member

Agreed with most of it, but you lost me at "Jones seemed to have so much potential"

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! More stats? Where's the stat the explains how he helped his team get as far as they have been in a while last year? Find the stat that explains how the so called worst pf in the NBA was starting on the 2nd best team.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

What I meant was that Jones played more as a rookie, and was getting better after he finally came back from that bizarre medical problem that kept him out most of last year. Now he doesn't even get minutes, so I didn't know if it was from more injuries or illness, or simply not being good enough to replace our starters when they need a rest. He isn't even mentioned by the broadcasters any more, and the paper always says Coaches Decision for the reason he did not play.