1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. opticon

opticon Member

Capela was savage last night! Sreamin at fools when he dunked on them, thorwing Mason to the ground.

Clyde voice: I like it!

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

On the trade for Cousins idea:

1) How many young star players are even remotely available? Basically no one.
    2) Any team willing to trade away a star would demand Capela. What else do we have to highlight a deal?
    3) Right now there isn't much behind Capela. If you traded Capela for say Paul George your rim protection would fall apart. Trading him for Cousins at least gives you a guy at the same position.
    4) Morey has drooled over Cousins since he tried everything he could to trade for him on draft night
    5) Cousins can now shoot 3s better than Ryno!? A stretch 5 who can shoot from anywhere on the floor and score in the post? Morey can only get so erect.

Guys I am with you on he's only 22, cheap, oozing potential, accepting his role happily, hard worker, not a head case, keep the chemistry, etc. etc.

This is a classic Morey trade and he won't hesitate if he could get it done.

ramotadab, Zergling and saleem like this.
  3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Theres the certain lack of EMPHATIC presense in Capela's game. Numbers are decent but its not difference making. But the Blazers game he showed a bit of what making an impact looks like. Not just the crowd pleasing dunks, just in being comfortable in establishing his presense and denying others presense.

On free throws, Capela in leagues NOT the NBA he's shot 55% and 60% in the D-League. For some reason he got twice as bad in the NBA. While its still not good %s, its still PROOF he CAN do it. The key is consistency though, not one month of 60 and another month of 25 and airballs.

Probably overreaching, little things like "A Capela" making an ass of himself shows he's confident enough in his own skin to not totally shy away from things.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dwight's better on D.

Caplea over a back-injured/pouty Dwight? A chance.

A healthy happy Dwight like now? Not even.

s3ts likes this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like cousins and would prob make the trade. You need talent to win the this league.

But cousins is not even close to being a better three point shooter than Ryan Anderson.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope he can make his singing obsolete, hope A-Capela improves that.

7. MistaK

MistaK Member

Agree, Dwight is definitely the better defender, the better athlete and if he played to his strengths, could be DeAndre on steroids and there wouldn't even be a discussion Capela v Dwight.

Unfortunately that's not what Dwight does - he wants his post touches. Capela seems to be happy playing the PnR and its paying off big time. Of course he is doing better than many expected, because of Harden, but he has improved defensively too this year.

Yes, a healthy and happy Dwight is the far superior player, nobody is going to say otherwise - but how healthy will he be going forward and how long will he be happy as a Hawk?

Just FYI, they've already had a player only meeting down in the ATL, probably talking about egos and how they need to be put aside :)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18156132/nba-power-rankings-marc-stein-week-6-ranking

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't believe Cousins is ready to win yet so I wouldn't want to gut our team for him.

9. basketballholic

A somewhat valid point that could be made about both men. Neither man has exhibited any willingness to give up the basketball for the benefit of the team. Both guys want the rock all the time and want to be the decision maker /playmaker for their teams. And both men would have to yield up some control to the other to make their combination better than each guy individually. I don't sense either Harden or Cuz is really ready to share.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, agreed with that. We need a 2nd banana, not another Alpha.

I would say the difference between the two is that a stronger case can be made for Harden being the guy than Cousins being the guy; so if Cousins did come here I'd want him to know his role. But, I don't think he'll do that.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Who in your opinion is the better player Draymond Green or Boogie?

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Warriors didn't have talent in 2012/13 and 13/14 then suddenly they won in 2014/5 without trading for superstar.

FTW Rockets FTW and macho GRANDE like this.
  13. Zergling

Zergling Member

I love what Capela is bringing to the team especially with his cheap cost, but I think this is pretty much his ceiling. An athletic finisher but will never have an offensive game anything more than Dwight. As a GM, you have to sell high.

Now that D'Antoni has his Nash in Harden, now he needs his Amare, and no one on the roster is close to that. You get Cousins though, and you got a better version of Amare that can hit threes.

4 shooters on the floor for Harden? Absolute nightmare for other defenses.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

That's because they drafted stars thanks to multiple lottery picks and finding Green in the 2nd round.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why is this Capela's ceiling? If you were his coach, and he has come into his 3rd season exceeding expectations, would you really be thinking this is it? He's 22 or 23.

Personally I think there is PLENTY of room for him to become a better defender he has the skills and the speed. I think he can get a bit stronger without losing quickness, which would help him in a lot of offensive and defensive matchups. I also think he can improve his FT's a bit, and polish his offensive game a tiny bit more. Is that all not potential? You seem to be very focused on offense.

Edit: I'm not saying we should never trade him or that Cousins is not someone we should target. Just questioning the notion that a 22 year old who has just made strides has hit their limit after performing for 15 games.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

There is zero chance we land Cuz. Boston is hungry for a star and has MUCH better trade pieces.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

True but nobody saw the Warriors coming the rockets were better than them the year before they won 67. And we don't have a guy like Draymond green on our team and TBH I think teams were catching up with GS anyways I doubt they win anymore rings or even make the finals this year without adding KD. There GM and coach new this. They got exposed in the wcf and finals. There's a blueprint on how to beat them.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah but Gobert ate him up tonight. Gobert made Capela obsolete.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Forget what I said

*knee jerk*

Trade the farm for Cousins

ramotadab likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Capela is still learning , and he's just not gonna bring it every night . That's what superstars do . We will learn about his potential and mental toughness depending on how he bounces back . He did not anchor the d tonight . When your team D is as bad as it was tonight that means that the center is at least partially to blame