1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cape space questions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a la rockets, May 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I already asked this question in a earlier thread and Castor27 tried to answer it,but I guess I'm a bit slow:D .
    Can the experts here explain to me the difference between MLE,MCE etc... please.Also how does signing one of our free agents(ex:posey) affects the mentioned cash options.
    Finally can we do a sign and trade involving one of our FA PLUS a player curently under contracts?
    I'll be eternaly greatfull to thos who relieve my troubled mind.:)

ALA

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Paging GATER....................

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've got one:
    What the hell is "BYC"??? I've been meaning to ask that for too damn long.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Base Year Compensation. I would try to explain it but I really don't know what the hell it means so Ill just give you this link:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#71

5. Summer Song Giver

capes are not fasionable no matter how much space you have;)

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I'll try it again :).I'll start with the basics and hopefully that will help everyone understand. Going by the rules of the NBA salary structure each team is restricted by a salary cap. The cap is really not a cap at all. It is a figure that the NBA uses for salary restrictions. Once a team reaches the cap they are restricted for what they can offer players. The reasoning for this is that teams may exhaust cap space on a limited number of players then they will be unable to fill a roster. The league has set some guidlines to keep this from happening (while also keeping player salaries in check, but that is a different debate).

The guidlines are basically the exceptions and some of the Bird year status stuff I explained the other day. Basically teams over the salary cap have the Mid Level Exception which is the same thing as the MCE. It allows teams to offer free agents a contract for the league average salary, which is about $4.5 million.Teams may offer it to more than one player and may offer the contract for up to 6 years. Offering it for multiple years does not hinder the use of it in future years (So basically you can offer a six year MCE every year if you can get a player to sign it).

The second exception is a misnomer. It is the $1Million exception(misnamed because it increases every year and currenlty is at $1.5 million). This is similar to the MCe except it cannot be used 2 years in a row. It can used for multiple players and can be offered as a 2 year contract.

There is also a rookie exception. Thius exception allows teams to sign first round draft choices to rookie scale contracts even if they are over the cap.

Another exception is the minimum player exception. It allows teams to sign players to minimum league contracts even if they are ove rthe cap. they can sign any number of these to fill out roster spots.

#6 Castor27, May 15, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no difference between MLE and MCE; the correct acronym is MLSE--Mid-Level Salary Exception. It is an exception for teams over the cap to use to spend on free agents up to a sum total equal to the league average salary...which is recalculated every year. Teams can use this on one player or divide it among several. We also get to use a $1 Million exception (but not in consecutive yrs) to spend on one or more free agents. These contracts can't be longer than 2yrs. (It is actually for $1.5m this year.) Also, Minimum Player Salary allow signing players to the minimum salary.

Posey has full "Larry Bird rights;" correctly called a "Qualifying Veteran Free Agent." He is only limited by the league maximum salary for a 4yr player. His signing has no effect on our ability to use the other exceptions at our disposal.

BYC is complicated, but is best understood by explaining the loophole it closed regarding the salary matching requirement of trades--that whole "trade accepted" thing of being within 15%. Before BYC, teams did salary matching by doing a sign n trade with one player for a player with a much bigger contract. They matched salaries by artificially inflating their SnTed player's salary to match the other player's. For instance, the famous Cato, Moochie, Posey trade for Garnett would work under the old rules by "simply" SnTing Posey to a $20m contract. lol.

That doesn't work now. When a player increases salary by more than 120%, then his trade value is limited to the value of his previous salary or 50% of his new one, whichever is greater. His full salary still hits the new team's cap, but the trading team can only take back a salaries eqaul to his previous contract or 50% of the new one.

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

BYC Explanation:
    When teams re-sign their veteran free agents under the Larry Bird exception for 20 percent more than their last contract and the team is over the salary cap, the player falls under the BYC category.

If a team with a BYC player wants to trade him straight up to another team that is under the cap, the BYC player's value is cut in half. That is because the team can only receive a player that's worth 50 percent of the first year of the player's new contract (plus 15 percent and $100,000).

So what it means in normal terms is that if Player Y is a BYC player in the first year of his contract. He makes 6 million a year and I decide I want to trade him. When we stick him in the trade scenario he only counts at 50% of his actual salary(or 3 Million). It makes it difficult to trade these players because I am only giving up 3 million so I will only be able to take on 3 million plus 15% plus 100,000. But the other team has to be able to take his 6 million plus 15% plus 100,000. It is very confusing to write out.

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Mon ami...ce n'est pas 'cape', mais 'cap'...Tu peut le changer avec 'edit',( alors, jai oublier que les Francais n'utilizes pas 'tu' avec des personnes autres que des amis......mais nous sommes amis, non?)

:)

10. heypartner

one more thing,

BYC is trade value of 50% current salary for trades during the 1st year of the contract, and 75% current salary for 2nd year.

further, BYC does not happen if you sign your player while under the cap. Thus, Maurice and Moochie were never BYC players.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe Cato was though, but currently he is past year 2 so he isn't anymore.

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

i don't care if cato was BYC or PYT or PhD or HNIC or ABC123, we need to trade his capsucking ASS out of here ASAP! :D

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Paging Newgirl! ;)

(all in fun, Newgirl!)

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, he is also "down wit' OPP" as well...

I could be wrong.

15. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I'm so very much impressed!
    Not only do you know the history of my country(better than me,I have to add!:D ),but u also know how to speak my language.
    (BTW sorry for the bad spelling,I guess my english is a bit rusty;that's why i'll let u go with your spelling mistakes in French!Nice job tough...)
    Et oui,nous sommes tous amis ici!

ALA

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Please ignore, should have read further down before posting....answered later.

Thanks HP, is there an expiration clause on this. For instance, Francis signed a 6 year 85mil extension on August 26, 2002, hypothetically when would Francis be tradable where we would get a player(s) with matching salary(ies)? I have heard from you or another poster that next summer (04) he would no longer be a BYC player--does that mean this rule expires after 2 years (for Francis 8-26-04).

TIA

#16 Desert Scar, May 15, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  17. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

With that big "R" on our new combination cape-jerseys, is there any space for a giant Clutch Bear on the rocket ship w/ happy smiling friendly teeth, or do the skulls with the snakes coming out of the eyes take up all of the remainder of the space on the cape?

There, how's that? :p

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Uh, thanks. Sorry for the previous post. Thus....

After 8-26-03 Francis has to be traded with 75% taken back, after 8-26-04 Francis would not have BYC restrictions.

19. heypartner

Desert Scar,

I went back to the CBA text to double check. The 75% thing in the second year no longer applies to the CBA. That part was only for contracts signed prior to June 1, 2001. For contracts signed after that, players are only BYC for *one year* at the 50% or previous salary value, whichever is greater.

So, Francis will be BYC for the first year of his extension, only.

On a side note, extensions are signed a year before they go into effect. For instance, Francis and Brand are still being paid rookie scale for their 4th yr option years, but Francis is signed for more years and Brand is not. During the 4th yr after signing an extension (before the salary goes into effect), the rookie scale player's salary for the purposes of trades is calculated as the average of the aggregate salaries of their 4th yr plus each extension year. Thus, trying to trade a rookie scale player in their 4th year after they signed a big extension, effectively operates like they were BYC. For example, had teams traded for Francis or Baron Davis this past season, their salarie hit going out would have been (~$3m + $85m) / 7yrs, but the Rockets/Hornets could only take their actual rookie scale salaries back.

20. heypartner

to clarify,

Francis will be BYC at 50% for the first year of the extended portion of his contract. That contract goes into effect on July 1st, 2003, so his BYC year begins then, and he goes off BYC status on July 1st, 2004.