1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cap killing superdeal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RT45, Jul 1, 2000.

1. RT45

RT45 Member

The deal:

To Houston - Dikembe Mutombo

To Atlanta - Walt Williams, Bryce Drew, Carlos Rogers (we use the trade exception)

Why we do this deal - We get a top center for one year after which we can either sign to an extension or renounce thus freeing up $8,500,000 more towards free agentcy.

Why Atlanta does this deal - Atlanta frees up $5,550,000 more (around $7,500,000 total) towards free agenctcy this summer allowing them to pursue one or two solid free agents.

------------------

2. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Sounds good to me. Where do I sign. Even if we don't get Webber (if we want him) having all that cap space gives us all sorts of options. My question is whether or not Atlanta would go for it. Do they want to get rid of Mutombo? Do they think that they can't resign him next year?

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Phoenix tried to get Hawks management to trade Mutombo for Gugliotta and change. The Hawks refused, asking for Jason Kidd instead. Mutombo is their franchise player - no way they trade him away for three chumps like that.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Atlanta will get much better offers than that.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

If the Hawks go for thi deal I say do it yesterday! But realistically there is no way they settle for a package this weak!

------------------
    "And On The 8th day god Created Basketball, And on the 9th He Created The Dream To Play It"

6. RT45

RT45 Member

Something to consider:

The biggest suitor of Dikembe over the past couple of seasons has been the Raptors. Now that Wilkens has taken over as coach of the Raptors, isn't it a strange coincidence that the trade talks between the two clubs have ceased. Atlanta is looking to build for the future and a deal like the one above does just that.

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

RT45,

What was the relationship between Lenny and Mutombo?

If Atlanta said to tuck a draft choice or two behind Walt's ear, you still want to do it?

The Pacers have a trade exception also and have a bigger need for a center than Houston.
    Yes, the same conference stigma on doing deals.

The Hawks 2000 draft says rebuild rather than a "win it this season" mentality.

Better offers are out there, but Indy is the only other to have a trade exception.

What Free Agents are interested in going to a rebuilding Atlanta?

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Smeg will be assimilated.

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

8. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

wow, did I miss something?

When was trading for an overpriced SF that's pushing 30, a PG that's only marginably a starter (and they have Terry anyway), and a bench PF considered building for future?

Portland will be offering things like Stoudamire/J. O'Neal for him

New York will put out a package starting with Allan Houston and Marcus Camby

Detroit will go after him enticing with Jerry Stackhouse.

Walt/Bryce/Rogers does not build for a future. Unless of course your franchise is the Clippers (shoot, in a few years, we won't be able to constantly diss the Clippers [​IMG])

------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 01, 2000).]

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

So give me your early projection on the uniform that Mutombo wears next season. I had a thread in the NBA forum about Portland considering him and since the Hawks have a rebuild posture, it seems more likely that he he will be traded.

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Smeg will be assimilated.

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

10. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I think it's possible he'll still be in a Hawk's uni, due to lack of offers. I'd have to think Portland would be a favorite. They can offer a package starting off with Damon/O'Neal (especially since they got an ABSOLUTE STEAL in Barkley all the way at 28. I'm still scratching my head how he was there, best PG in draft IMO) which would give Atlanta something they need-talent. And a replacement center. They may even be able to include Bonzi Wells.

I don't think the Suns are after him anymore. (Anyone else wishing that Orlando had gotten the pick from the Suns, and then gave it to us? Tsakalidis for like 1 mill per? That would've been pretty awesome to get)

Maybe New York wants him (they're hating Ewing).

Detroit's possible (They'll offer Stackhouse up)

Dallas wants him (Cuban tried to get the media to think they could get him for Pack, Bradley, and someone else [​IMG] )

I wouldn't be surprised if he remained a Hawk until at least the deadline due to complications.

1 more reason he won't be a Rocket-Him being around hinders Cato's growth, or gets in the way of Dream's retirement tour, or both.

------------------

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

LOL [​IMG]
    I agree

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by davo (edited July 01, 2000).]

12. RT45

RT45 Member

It's the current cutting of cap that is the future, landing Williams, Drew, and Rogers allows them to free up $5,500,000 more dollars this year to pursue guys like Ben Wallace or even Rashard Lewis. Mutombo isn't as good as people on this board are advertising. Right now the Hawks can cut salary and land free agents in a buyers market (if you are under the cap), trade him for another package (they will not land stackhouse for him), sign him (even though he is old and the Hawks are rebuilding), or lose him for nothing. Who cares if Mutombo gets in the way of Hakeem's farewell tour or slows the growth of Cato for one year, he will get us more wins and after the season, $8,500,000 more money for free agents.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RT45 (edited July 01, 2000).]

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'm lovin' ya right about now, RT45.

Hell folks, think of this:

Next year, both Mutombo and Hakeem will be free agent (Well, Hakeem will retire) -- thats 16+ Mil of cap releif right there.

Let me say that again -- 16+ Million of Cap Releif

One more time, nice and slow-- S-I-X-T-E-E-N M-I-L.

Thats Webber and then some, right there.

On at Atlanta's end:

I could see Detroit pursuing Mutombo as a means of convincing Hill to stay, maybe even offering Stackhouse except that would require Mutombo to commit beyond next season. Even then, who says Grant won't move on?

On the surface, a Stoudamire/O'Neal package certainly looks appetizing but what is Atlanta really getting? An overhyped bean pole disguised as center? A headcase of a point guard with a just a wee bit more talent than altitude?

Williams, Drew, and Los aren't the most talented kids on the block but Drew and Los both smack of potential. The 4.5 million allows Atlanta to enter the free agent market with chance to nab a second tier free agent, maybe a even a first tier left without a chair once the music days and the big money's gone(Mo Taylor, anyone?). I'd even throw in the Magic pick to get this deal done.

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

14. CaucasionSensation

Not a chance that they would do Drew, Los, and Wiz for Mutumbo. I'm betting that Portland or Toronto will be the team that makes the right deal for him.

Think if your Portland, you got Shaq to stop every playoff race and once a year in a fated playoff matchup, not to mention the world's most decked out team to trade lose ends with.

It could be interesting to see if Rider's situation affects Dikembe's at all.

------------------

15. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Actually if we drop Los, Bryce, and Walt, it's 18 million.

Why don't they just wait one season, Mutumbo's a free agent, and they can pursue Webber, Finley, or whoever they please?

So, you're saying Mutumbo is worth 5.5 million, and a *chance* to land Lewis for the Hawks? According to bskball's info, Atlanta is .5 million over the cap. Chop off the 4.5 exception, and they're 4 million under the cap. Oops, say goodbye to Lewis (Restricted Free agent, Early Bird contract in Seattle would give him 4.1 million)

Mutumbo would make Portland a championship team. He brings something that's rare-defense that can legitimately stop Shaq (Shaq averaged a pitiful 16 ppg against the Hawks). You put Mutumbo on Portland for O'Neal, Stoudamire, and Wells, and assuming no injuries, their lineup is Mutumbo-Wallace-Pippen-Smith-Barkley. They've got Sabonis as well. Grant may or may not come back. But, they've got a team that can beat LA or anyone.

Drew doesn't bring them any better than they got. Jason Terry is much better.
    Rogers is an injury bug waiting to happen.

If you put Stoudamire on a team, and tell him to be "the man", he'll do that and then-some. But, he's been removed from even really playing PG, and they have Pippen playing it, or Smith, and if you watch him, he's just sort of out of it.

Walt, Drew, and Rogers are roleplayers. None of them have the skill to be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd offensive option, and none of them have the defense that Mutumbo has. OK, so let's pretend Atlanta manages Bo Outlaw for that 4 million. Here's there new team-
    C: Wright
    PF: Bowdler/Rogers/Henderson
    SF: Williams/Outlaw/Jackson
    SG: D. Johnson/Glover
    PG: Terry/Drew

------------------

16. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Hey NIKE,

Go reread my post with your Rockets blinders ON. It'll make more sense [​IMG]

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Nikestrad - I think drew will become the 3rd string pg again now that the hawks have SCOONIE PENN.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

18. RT45

RT45 Member

Nike,

The early bird is at $3.9 mil if the press is correct and word is that the cap has also increased, thus putting the Hawks under it.

------------------

19. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

RT45-The Early Bird is believed to be around 3.9-4.1 million. To my knowledge, there has been no official release.

Then next year, as they attempt to rebuild (and get farther under the cap), they all of a sudden encounter a bloated contract of Walt Williams.

You're also forgetting they have picks to sign....there goes a good 2 million, maybe more.

Why would Atlanta go for a 2nd/3rd string PG, an injury plagued forward, who even when healthy isn't that great, and below average starting SF with a bloated contract, when they DIDN'T accept an all star caliber forward (Gugliotta), a superb talent (Marion), and a guy with a somewhat bloated contract, but is a guy who plays a position of need (Longley).

------------------