1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't win a ring with CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tmacfor35, Oct 30, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Facts:

Howard has multiple DPOY awards, took Lebron out in the playoffs with the Magic, and is the best PNR big in the league. Multiple All-star/All NBA selections

Cousins-Potential Potential Potential

Guess who else had potential, Stromile Swift!

I can't argue with someone who claims that Demarcus Cousins all 17% body fat is a better fit for the Rockets than Dwight Howard.

Howard makes Cousins look like Tractor Traylor on the court(who by the way played good minutes for Cleveland at one point).In all seriousness, I would tread lightly with the pairing of superstar and Demarcus Cousins.

2. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

Asik is gonna be gone by February and they are 2 deep at every position. Their 2nd team ****s on ours and their first team is slightly better. But CP3 goes HAM in the playoffs and he's a proven Rocket killer, so I'm not betting against that overall team in the playoffs this year.

3. tmacfor35

Is Kevin Durant a better player with Derek Rose as his PG or Chris Paul?

I don't know what is up with the CP3 nut hugging, but this league isn't meant for his usage rate. He needs the ball to be effective.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

his win shares are ridiculous. in terms of advanced stats, it's not even a debate who the best point guard in the nba is. i wanna say he finshed 3rd in PER, WS/48, and RAPM last year (but that's off the top of my head without the stats in front of me). pretty much only lebron and durant beat him in advanced stats. and that's been true for several seasons now.

it's possible the advanced stats overrate him, but he does things that advanced stats love. he has a very high TS%, gets a lot of assists, has very few turnovers, gets a lot of steals, and gets his stats on teams that are usually fairly slow-paced.

and while i think we certainly have to start questioning his lack of playoff success, his individual numbers in the playoffs are every bit as spectacular as in the regular season. because he's not the athletic dynamo that a rose or westbrook is, i admit there are times when he feels much more stoppable than those two, but then those two never seem to have his efficiency and occasionally his ball-handling, change of direction, outside shooting, and passing make him seem almost impossible to contain.

and there are times i feel he is trying too hard to get everyone involved instead of putting the scoring burden on his own shoulders. i'd rather see him be a 21/8 guy instead of a 17/10 guy because he's so efficient.

and then there's the fact that for a while, his new orleans teams were the most efficient late game offenses in the league so he seems to have command of big moments. and on the olympic teams, he was clearly 3rd after lebron and durant in terms of who the team turned to when they needed something (like the 4th quarter of the gold medal game).

so while i think playoff success is about to become a much bigger part of his story, on paper it's hard to argue he's overrated as the best pg and 3rd best player in the league.

5. tmacfor35

We have a Clippers homer on our board.

Beverley/Paul
    Harden/Reddick
    Parsons/Dudley
    Howard/Griffin
    Asik/Deandre Jordan

Beverley ball pressures CP3 and coast him in to Howard and Asik. Love the matchup.

6. cw3k

cw3k Member

So I guess what you were trying to say was Rockets will win a ring because Rockets don't have a ball dominates PG but a ball dominated SG?

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Obviously Chris Paul would complement Durant much better than Rose would.

8. tmacfor35

His win shares are overrated because of the team he is on. He is the only PG on that team. I like a lot of what you said, because there is some truth to it.

But you pointed out my biggest flaw with CP3. He is to passive as a ball dominant guard. Exactly why I take Westbrook/Rose over him all day. They put so much more pressure on a defense than CP3 does. CP3 has been so bad in the playoffs. Tony Parker made him look awful. Heck, id take Tony Parker over him right now too.

I just think this league isn't the place for players like CP3 anymore who excel in half court situations. He doesn't get it done like he should, and it is all because he is too passive in big time situations(playoffs).

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. This is insane. CP is the best PG in the league. I would postulate that a better thread would be that Blake will never win an NBA championship. How could a NBA team whose second best player is as flawed as Blake ever win a chip? With or without CP. People focus on the incorrect causative factor so many times it would be funny if it was not so tragic.

Put CP on the current Rockets team. Just imagine.

10. tmacfor35

I don't think so, because you are then taking the ball out of Durant's hand more often than not.

11. tmacfor35

Bad fit for this team.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. Can there be a bad fit for the third best basketball player in the world? There is no team that CP would not incredibly strengthen.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Absolutely wrong.

CP3 has proven beyond a doubt that he's a willing passer. If Durant were having a good night, CP3 would keep feeding him the ball. Plus, CP3 is better than Rose defensively.

I find it laughable that you're trying to argue that Durant would have the ball more with Rose, a shoot-first pg, than with CP3, a pass-first pg.

14. what

what Member

Howard can't shoot and he will never be able to shoot. Cousins can shoot. Defensively, Howard is better, no question. But the game is won on the offensive end of the floor. Howard is inept from anything past 5 feet.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

CP. Need I say more? You are exactly right. His decision making process on the court is up there with the great HOF point guards. His problem is the flawed roster around him. Thin front line, dominated by score first and then zone out players. I wish him the best but the Clips are his own special purgatory.

16. NotChandlerParsons

You can't put two ball dominant players together! It never works!

[​IMG]

17. tmacfor35

He would have more space. Rose puts more pressure on the defense offensively.

18. tmacfor35

Won on the offensive side of the floor? No sir. If that were the case, the Phoenix Suns would have dominated the league in Steve Nash's prime.

19. tmacfor35

Both facilitate well. But it wasn't so pretty at times. It took adjustment and Dwayne Wade/Chris Bosh had to take there foot off the gas peddle for the Heat to win.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And yet Howard somehow outscores or equals Cousins offensive output year after year. And the rebounds and defense, well has that ever been in question? Do not try to compare a good center with the best center in the NBA. A HOF center.