1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't think of a catchy title so "Met Alvin Gentry and Dennis Johnson" will do

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I went down to Los Angehleze over the weekend for the Grand Opening of our newest dealership in Southern Cali. Anyhow I didn't expect much as Victorville is an average size town in between Vegas and LA. Well I was wrong, not only did the whole town show up but almost every city official came. Ok that has nothing to do with the Rockets. Well we own a couple of other dealerships in LA and thus we sponser the ever so corporate friendly LA Clippers.

Anyhow we gave Alvin Gentry a car to drive so he could advertise for us. Well it turns out Alvin is a really nice guy and so for our Grand Opening he tells Dennis Johnson, who suprisingly lives in Victorville, to come too. Well in comes DJ with Alvin and man the only thing I could think about was the 86 finals. Being the Rockets fan that I am I had to let DJ know that he had a ring that belonged to the Rockets and he started laughing. He actually said that he thought we would have won that series if Walton wouldn't have gotton his missed layup. For the most part I let them do their thing as I had other people to meet.

Well after the ribbon cerimony we started taking pictures, and when one of the camera men requested us to smile I suggested a Cato for #2 swap which brought out an evil laugh from DJ and Alvin. DJ countered with "Kelvin retired two years ago but he forgot to tell you guys". I tried getting some draft info from them but they didn't bite(yet). We started talking about the new players and the difference between the older generation and they both agreed that shooting is a lost art and that defenders are given way too much credit for this. You still reading HP [​IMG]

While discussing the change of the NBA, we got into the MJ part III thing. I said I thought he was too old when they began to giggle. They said they saw him two weeks prior to the rib injury and that he looked better now than he did three years ago. They said the only problem was that they questioned his ability to stay healthy for the entire season. Now here is where they slipped. Alvin Gentry said he talked to MJ the day before and that MJ was asking if the Clipps were going to trade with Chicago. Seems Chicago is scared that Curry will be gone by the time they picked.

I don't remember how it was said but DJ implied that Battier was the guy the Clippers liked more specifically the guy Gentry liked. I can't remember if he said Jordan was going after Shane or if Atlanta was targeting him. The way I think it was said was that they wouldn't trade with Chicago because then Atlanta would take Battier. Maybe it was a smokescreen, who knows?

Well I have plenty more to tell (a lot of it very funny) but since its not directly related to the Rockets I will end here.

I just know I'm gonna get a wrong forum post in this thread, so before you say it, I know. [​IMG]

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

wrong forum

[This message has been edited by RocketKid (edited June 26, 2001).]

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

------------------

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Great post, scarface. These first hand accounts are my favorite type. Thanks for the info and good story.

------------------
    Team Heypisser, you're goin down!

5. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Awesome Scarface. I'm LMAO over the Cato quote. That's terrible!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the (the Rockets first pick in the draft) fan club.

6. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Scarface, interesting story.

I don't think you post it in the wrong forum, because you managed to slip in "Cato for #2 swap". [​IMG]

Man, that "endorsement" by DJ about Cato really makes me worry about the chances of unloading him.

I'm not really surprise that MJ maybe interested in Battier, because Battier is deemed by many as a "leader", something that MJ is and is something that not too many players can achieve.

If Chicago has set their mind on Curry, I wonder what are they willing to pay the Clippers to swap the picks?

Scarface, how about telling us the funny stuff in the Hangout forum, I would love to hear them.

And thanks for the scoop!

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Great post Scarface!!!

A Celtic living in Victor(y)ville [​IMG] isn't it ironic?

Shooting is a lost art. Today's defense is no better than any other era. Players just don't work on the mid-range jumpers as much anymore. It's a 3-pointer or a dunk or "I don't make the sportscenter highlights".

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Scarface-
    Why don't you tell Oscar to come home so we could get our weekend and late afternoon games on? Tell him the best reason to open a dealership in the Houston area is to sponsor the Rockets. I could just imagine the commercial. Scarface and Cato playing one on one. Remember those commercials- Chevrolet with Clyde and I think his mom. Scar, its about time for some Caprisun!

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I hear you bigboy, I think the only reason the Rockets haven't won a championship since I moved to Cali is that we haven't had the Caprisun/Nacho's combo together.

Oh I just remembered, DJ said that he doubted many teams would actually be using the zone. Makes you wonder.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

[This message has been edited by Scarface (edited June 26, 2001).]