1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't blame Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wiredog, Feb 5, 2003.

1. wiredog

wiredog Member

In the beginning of the season, I categorically put Stevie and Cat in the same basket labeled, "selfish guards". I say they have been surgically seperated. Can't blame Steve. He played well. He dished out assists, scored shots. He turned it over a few times, sure. But he's got the message way more clearly than Cat has. Let's make that clear. Stevie is on the right track.

#1 wiredog, Feb 5, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Gawd...just change the title of the thread to "Bash Steve Here!" and be done with it...

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

He didnt hurt us as much as Eddie or Cat but to say Stevie deserves no blame is unfair.

We live and die with Stevie. Afterall, he is our "franchise" With that said, with the title comes responsibility. He is our "veteran" leader. If Eddie is playing out of position (chucking up 3 point airballs), Stevie should get in his face and tell him to play inside. If Cat is playing too much ISO, Stevie should get on him and tell him to move the ball. If Moochie is dribbling too much, Stevie should get in his face and tell him to move the ball. If Yao is playing too soft, the same applies.

All I have said that needs to be done is not EASY but those are the DUTIES when you are placed as the "franchise" player. Jordan always did this. So did Magic, Bird and even KG last night. So if Stevie wants the status as the "franchise" player from the organization and fans, HE WILL NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL. Some may argue that this is not fair but I never said being the "franchise" was easy. Only a few get this label and it is Steves choice to take this challenge.

4. wiredog

wiredog Member

I agree that he is not perfect. Hell, almighty Yao should get blamed sometimes. I'm just saying, and may the Rockets fans and God forgive me for the comparison I'm about to make, I saw a bit of Stockton and Malone thing going with Yao and Steve. They understand each other more. See how many times they hook each other up. Yao will increase Steve's production, and vice versa. And these two will get others involved more also. You're right. They both have huge responsilities as leaders, and I'm not saying they are there yet, but they are on teh right track. I'm not gonna say anymore about Cat but he needs to join Yao and Steve.

5. wiredog

wiredog Member

A-Train..I was being sincere, my friend!

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I agree with everything you said except for the "They both have huge responsilities as leaders"

Although Yao will be a leader some day, Steve needs to be the current leader of this team. Yao is still a rookie while Steve is a 4 year veteran. With being deemed as the leader comes additional responsibilities.

This is the part of the game that I would like to see Steve improve on.

7. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

Agree!!

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yao wouldn't hold himself blameless so we shouldn't either. Same goes for Steve.

As those two players go, so go the Rockets. That is the way it will be for a LONG while so we should get used to it. Steve is learning as is Yao. Unfortunately, they aren't there yet but they will get there.

9. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Jeff,

Your a long time Rox fan. Like to hear more of your thoughts on this. Don't you feel that we lack a leader? I watched b-ball in since 84 and all the championship teams had a leader that would direct their team mates on the court. If Magic was playing with Byron Scott and Scott wasnt moving the ball, Magic would not put up with it and get in his face. Due to Magic's leadership, Scott would listen and change his ways. And if the Lakers lost, Magic being the leader would take accountability. Again, its not a easy job but those are the traits that I expect from a "franchise" player.

Thoughts?

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Exactly!!!

11. wiredog

wiredog Member

I agree that yao is a rookie, but sometimes being a leader has little to do with experience or tenure. look at David Carr. His playing abilities aside, you would agree that he was the leader of the Texans this year. I think the position "center" in the NBA has inherent leadership. Sometime someone who just steps up can be a leader. When i was a lance corporal (practically a private)in the Marines, I used to clean heads (toilets). But there were times when I was solely responsible for the safety and well-being of 500 Marines out in the field. Leadership is earned, but sometimes it's handed to you, and sometimes you gotta grab it.