1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can't argue with results!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Dec 22, 2010.

1. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

But it's your freakin' money! Wanting to keep more of it is not selfish, especially since we already have a progressive tax system.

You sound like the dude in George Harrison's Tax Man:

Should 5% appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

But you're not rich, so we're not really talking about you cubical boy.

;)

Anyway! Have a wonderful Christmas all! Heading up to the house for a week of rest and relaxation. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What I find most ASTONISHINGLY HUMOROUS about this post, where you call me selfish:

YOU HAVE NEARLY 20,000 POSTS ON THIS WEBSITE, HAVE BEEN ON HERE SINCE 1999, AND HAVE NEVER CONTRIBUTED TO CLUTCH.

...and you're calling others out for being selfish? Self-reflection time brah

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I would agree its selfish to want to keep your money to live a hedonistic lifestyle. It is also brutish and thuggish to force this moral view on others (which is what you condone).

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

And what spending would you cut to balance the budget. Last time the rich paid 3% more, we had a surplus and they were doing just fine.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

I think its easy for people to believe that government should tax more to help the world and as Biden said "Give their fair share", but its pretty well known that conservative people give more in charitable donations than liberal people.

So a conservative person is less willing to give the government money but more willing to support causes he sees as right and efficient, whereas a liberal person wants more taxes but is tighter fisted with his own discretionary money. Hmmm.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Thats pretty funny. I act in my own self interest, which includes wanting the best for my country, but at least I admit it.

All these people claiming not to be selfish and 'everyone needs to pay their fair share (Biden)' while giving no charity and donations.

8. Granville

Granville Member

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of Lil Sammy celebrating the fantastic results with his homies.

1 person likes this.
  9. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

The budget ain't gonna be balanced anytime soon.

10. ChievousFTFace

Way to add something productive. Raising taxes is one way to slash a deficit. Why should tax cuts/hikes be permanent when spending always varies?

11. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Yeah, remember when Bill Clinton gave his used underwear to charity? Very generous, Bill.

12. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

You want to raise taxes in the middle of an unemployment rate that is near 10%?

13. ChievousFTFace

Then who better than the rich to take a 3% bump in income over 250k... heck make it personal income over a cool mill.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You haven't been been posting long enough for me to speak about your motivations.

But my my fundamental point is that for people like bigtexx, this sort of explanation would be a vast intellectualiation used to cover up this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/agLwIxiEk_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=105"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/agLwIxiEk_c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=105" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

For many of the people who can spout off these arguments about free markets, etc. when you probe their position a bit, it really is all about the most primal of selfish concerns.

15. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Now is not the time to raise taxes.

16. ChievousFTFace

Nah it def was... But I guess I'll settle for less bigotry in the military, extended unemployment benefits and a 30% of nukes in Russia.

17. rtsy

rtsy Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ozoCxNj7eI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5ozoCxNj7eI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

But who doesn't act to maximize their own individual utility? Who doesn't act within their best interests and self-interests?

Just because one acts in their own self-interest doesn't mean that they're short-sighted in regards to their increased income. One can be 'greedy', but be long-term greedy in regards to their wanting the most for their country, their family and themselves.

Even someone that gives all their possesions away to their church maximizes his/her own utility as that is what makes them satisfied inside. Just as one may give up energy consumption and monitor their carbon footprint as they believe they are protecting the earth and in that appeasing their own set of Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs.

We all act in our own self-interest, whether to appease our pocketbooks, our moral conscience or our ego.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Future headline: Karma Runs Over Dogma

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#80 Ottomaton, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010