1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Canon 5D Mark II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pickymen, Apr 28, 2009.

1. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

I have a one-year old Canon 40D. Recently, I got a Nkon D300 as a gift, but it's not compatible with my Canon lens.

My friend suggested that I should sell both and top up a few hundred dollars to get a 5D Mark II.

I'm undecided because I'm not making money out of photography and it is just a hobby. I'm intrigued by reviews and what 5D can do. But I'm also starting to love the Nikon.

So would you keep these 2 good cameras or trade for 1 great one?

2. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

That's one hell of a gift. The D300 is a very impressive camera. If you're not making money professionally, I would just keep the Nikon. I'd even sell the 40D and get lenses for the D300.

If you sell both, you still have to pay extra to get the MK2, and then you'd have to pour more money into quality lenses to use to get the most out of the Canon. That is, unless, you already have a ton of glass.

Just my $0.02

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i have the D300 and i love it. i'm a nikon guy but i'm sure the 5D Mark II is awesome, and it's full frame. but like pgsxdjp said, it depends on what kind of glass you have. if you have kit lenses the who cares, keep the D300 and spend your $ on lenses.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

What do you want to do with the camera? The 5D II is a great camera, but the shutter is a little slow for shooting sports or action. It's an awesome portrait camera and most high end wedding photographers are using it or the first 5D.

I have a 20D now and would love to have one.

5. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

1/8000 is too slow for sports? Just curious.

6. pickymen

For Canon, I have a 70-200mm f/2.8, 17-40mm, and 50 f/1.4. For Nikon, I have a 18-200mm f/3.5 bundled.

I shoot mostly special occasions for friends, family gatherings, and my company's events. I get paid sometimes, but prefer not to have the pressure of delivering. I also use the camera and a backup compact camera for walk- around photography.

The 40d is giving me problems recently: I replaced the shutter button last month (only 3 mths after warranty) and sent in again yesterday because the shutter can't work. As such, I'm inclined to sell it, even if I don't get the 5d.

I love the Nikon and it's also a gift, but that means I have to replace the lenses eventually. If I sell it to get 5d, I'm not convinced enough as an amateur to get an expensive high-end camera.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm talking about frames per second.

8. conquistador#11

Your friend is insane and probably just wants to buy one of your cameras at a good price! I would keep the 40d and the nikon.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The 5DII will give you the best resolution/image quality money can buy, but you have to have good glass for it. It also has rediculous HD video capabilities. Video guys are buying them just for that feature alone.

The last thing you want is to two different brand cameras. Pick a system and buy good glass for it. You can't go wrong with either one.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

the 70-200mm f/2.8 is pro glass. that lens cost as much as the D300 body. if you decide to go with the nikon, you'd have to spend at ~$1600 to get the nikkor equivalent. is there a reason you are unhappy with canon? most people are pretty staunchly either nikon or canon. however, if you do make the switch you could sell your canon lenses and use that $ to start collecting nikon glass. the 5D Mark II is a more expensive camera than the D300 and is full frame but IQ probably isn't much different between the two. a screw it, just sell everything and buy the nikon D700, 14-24mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, and 70-200mm 2.8 and be set. :)

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.vincentlaforet.com/

Shot by a great photographer with the best lenses. I've seen the work of some amateurs that make the camera not look as good when I know it really is.

12. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Lol. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind. I shoot Pentax, and 3fps is best I get :( . But they have some of the best primes around.

Going back to the OP, what rockbox said is probably the best advice. Stick with a system and get good glass. I chose Pentax over the big two. I've played with some high-end cameras, but I'm still very happy with what I got. Just get out and shoot. You can't go wrong with either.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Any interest in the [thread=165281]T1i[/thread] :confused: ?

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

All 3 of those are Canon's 'L' pro-quality lenses. That's good glass! I plan on buying a 5D mk II soon myself and only have the 17-40mm that is good enough to make use of the camera. I really want that 70-200 zoom you got, but with IS.
    As for switching, I agree with those that say just choose one and buy good glass for it. I think Nikon is a great system and I've read really great things about the D700. However, I'm already a Canon guy so I'm not switching.
    The general assessment of the 5d mk II is it is the best of both worlds. The low light abilities is not quite as good as the D700, but very good. The resolution is not quite as high as the new Sony but very close. And in general, most people think the Canons have better IQ. And the Nikon have a lot better autofocus.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I didn't realize you had those lenses when I posted. It should be a no brainer to upgrade to go up to the 5dII. The full frame capability will allow you take advantage of that 17-40.

To replace those lenses to get Nikon you would have to spend over 3 grand at least. Nikon doesn't have a quality wide zoom like the 17-40 unless you want to spend 1500 bucks. Their 70-700 and 50 is equivalent with yours in terms of price and quality.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

Damn we have a lot of DSLR enthusiast here.. I just got my 50D this week (Finally upgraded from a RebelXT) and love it. I wish I could come up with the money to get some of those L lenses you guys have lol... My next Lens (which won't be till next year) will be that 70-200mm L IS...

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I didn't go straight for the L series right away. But now I am starting to salivate over them... I started from the bottom and then will work my way up that's what she said... currently:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 50mm 1.8 II
    and EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Zoom

:eek: Working to get some L series.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't have L lenses... just a camera and a few lenses that I don't know how to use... but I can throw specs out with the best of 'em!

19. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

To the OP:
    How much will you let your 40D go for?

20. pickymen

Oops! I should have been more specific to all: it's a Sigma 70-200mm, probably less than half the price of Canon's.

17-40 is my workhorse so far. While shooting for others, I'll usually borrow another 40d from my friend to fit the 50mm so that I don't have to switch lenses.

Maybe it's a mentality thing, I can't convince myself to get a high-end camera (IMO), given that 40d already serves me well.

I always considered myself a canon guy too until recently. I was sort of blown away by d300 as a first-time Nikon user. And the 40d has broken down twice these few weeks.

I'll probably go down to a camera shop this weekend to have a feel of the good things in 5d.

#20 pickymen, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009