1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Canned laughter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Jan 15, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They add canned laughter to the live audience during production.

Derp.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I don't watch any shows with a laugh track. It's one of the things that really turned me off from The I.T. Crowd, which a lot of people love.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Link?

I know they use audience laughter, but I haven't been able to find anything that indicates they also use canned laughter.

4. KingCheetah

How long have you been searching?

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't like laugh tracks and won't watch a show for long if it uses one. Laugh tracks should have disappeared with the '90's.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Almost every result on the first three pages of search results are just blogs showing that same clip without the laugh track. Then, I saw a website that says shows like BBT "get the accusations of "Laugh Tracks" more than shows that actually use a Laugh Track."

The only result that confirms what you said is from Yahoo! answers.

7. KingCheetah

Obviously you are not searching very well -- three pages of results should be your starting point not the point where you end your search.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I find it laugh tracks really distracting, but if the material is funny, doesn't really matter

Below are some Ali G clips, the british versions have laugh tracks and the American ones don't

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1fTkvlvkpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1fTkvlvkpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4RDtTst7Mo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v4RDtTst7Mo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. Steve_Francis_rules

If it was something really important to me, you'd be right. I'll just take your word for it that they add canned laughter to the audience laughter that they record during taping.

I would prefer the show without it, but it doesn't really bother me. I think How I Met Your Mother has a decent setup, where there's a laugh track in the background, but it's quiet, and they don't pause for laughter.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Scrubs had an episode where they did about 10 minutes of laugh-track sitcom. It was definitely exaggerated, but did a good job of demonstrating how cheesy and bad some of these shows are/were.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GRTCOvmf0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_GRTCOvmf0g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Apps

Apps Member

The canned laughter definitely cheapens the quality of comedy shows.

Are you guys sure I Love Lucy used fake laughter? On Wikipedia it mentions that the laughter was sometimes embellished when a joke fell flat, but for the most part they did perform in front of a studio audience. One of the reasons I always loved I Love Lucy was because you could sometimes hear the distinctive laughs of some of the off-screen characters.

I never noticed that Frasier had a laugh track, and was very disappointed when I realized it because I started to focus on it. I was able to get over it eventually, though. The show, I felt, was funny enough to not have to utilize fake laughter.

12. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Seinfeld rehearsed in front of a live audience but filmed on a closed set. The laugh track was recorded from the live audience present during rehearsals.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what about when something "juicy" happens like on Good Times and the audience goes "ooooooooohhhhhhhhh"

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Or on Fresh Prince.

Those were the days.

(Will Smith starts kissing the girl Carlton likes)

Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The best is on a Saved by the Bell episode where Zack makes some lame put-down and someone from the studio audience clearly says "busted."

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4q-v0JpRjc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4q-v0JpRjc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. KingCheetah

This seems like a very important discussion -- i'm surprised you're not putting forth a little more effort.

17. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Well it's still 'canned laughter'. Canned laughter='laugh track' = pre-recorded laughters as opposed to shows without jt

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It doesn't bother me. I'm old enough that this type of thing doesn't stand out. Hell, Seinfeld did it and I don't think it mattered.

That's not what a laugh track is. Laugh tracks are prerecorded but not actually recorded during the course of the show. So in this instance Steve_Francis is right, because BBT records the audience's actual response to the events on stage, though I imagine they (like most of the shows that use this) have to do some editing to get within time constraints.