1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets are back! Houston hits the road when they take on Zion, Ingram, Valanciunas and the Pelicans in New Orleans tonight. Join Clutch at 6:45pm CT for pregame as we watch the game live!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Pelicans

[candy] Remember what Monterey House, in dickinson, put at the bottom of their chip baskets?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by likestohypeguy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. likestohypeguy

Similar to some of the brown sugar/milk candies you see at mexican restaurant registers now, but the biggest difference is their texture was kind of light, dry, & crumbly; not shiny & dense or chewy. Also didn't have nuts.

Anyone knowledgeable about this type of candy and/or remember this restaurant have any idea where to find something closer to what I'm talking about?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. likestohypeguy

Searched mazapan & recognized what I gather is one brand of it that I have tried, the round de la rosa packages. Definitely not the same, if that's what you're talking about.

This will be a loooong shot.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I remember this. It was at all Monterrey Houses though, not just in Dickinson. Pretty sure Casa Ole even did it for a while.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Probably dulce de leche, or leche quemada. :eek:

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i remember it, but not in the chips.....i thought it was what they gave with the check at the end

8. likestohypeguy

Now we're getting somewhere. I could already tell from the photo & how she kept describing it as creamy that it's different, even before I got to the goat's milk & the following comment (apparently monterey house had two versions, the dry crumbly one under the chips, and a different creamier one at the register):

^she's describing it exactly. Unfortunately none of the critics actually counter with their own recipe, & after googling leche quemada I came across a brand that I've already tried. But I know to stick with leche quemada now, maybe one with goats milk apparently.

Thank you!