1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancun Cruz

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by seemoreroyals, Feb 20, 2021.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Is there not anything illegal about basic dishonesty? Especially when it is used to incite an insurrection. That is basically what Cruz, Hawley, and Trump are all guilty of. They knew perfectly well that the election was not rigged but instead they sold their base a boatload of crap that led to five people losing their lives. The far right was just looking for an excuse to try to create anarchy. Trump, Cruz, and Hawley just enabled them. They were dangerously close to being successful. Since the leadership of this is not being held accountable next time there is a good chance they might succeed. They will surely find more extremists and Hitler youth to do their dirty work for them. Kind of like the same way Al-Qaeda works. That is what the Republican party leadership is turning in to.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Coconut Cruz

3. Major

Major Member

That's not what you asked in this thread...

That said, the Constitution identifies what groups of people can be impeached, and it doesn't cover Congressional representatives. Congress, however, can choose to eject members from its own body. It's pretty rare - I think the last time was right after the Civil War.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes Senators aren’t impeached. I don’t think it’s defined what standards the Senate can use to eject a Senator but Like impeachment I’m guessing it’s a political and not a legal exercise.

That said I agree that it’s extremely unlikely Ted Cruz gets kicked out of the Senate over this.

5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Moscow Mitch himself mentioned that probably the best way to deal with leaders of an insurgency such as Trump would be through the court systems. Same case could be made for Cruz and Hawley. Not sure if he was implying bringing a case through the Attorney General 's office once we get one appointed or in some other type of federal court. Since the impeachment process has basically become a partisan procedure even if charges were brought there are not enough Senators willing to put their country ahead of their political ideology to convict. Hence Trump's belief that he could shoot someone on Main St. and get away with it. Same thing for Cruz or Hawley.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Him not being eligible to get impeached should not upset you as much as people actually voting for him.

Talk about dumb people voting against their own self interests.

Blatz and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Major

Major Member

McConnell said this to save his own ass and give him an excuse to not vote for impeachment. His reasoning - that Congress can't impeach someone no longer in office - doesn't hold up at all. Even more so when we know people have been impeached in the past - including during the Founding Father's times - while already out of office.

That said, the court system is always an option for criminal charges. But that also would not remove from them from office - there's nothing legally stopping someone who is convicted of a crime from still serving in Congress.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

CoCo Nutt Cruz

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I get the feeling that even if people wanted to change how power is distributed, Cons will paint the energy issue with the guns issue.

Just another overreach by Big Government to take away your gas and coal!

It's pretty much hillbilly madlibs places like Fox News and am radio has hammered into their army of gullible simps.

jiggyfly and Reeko like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Brilliant.

Fled Cruz

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We need him in Texas to hand out water bottles and take pictures! Damn him!

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For as awful and tone death Cruz is I don't see anything he did as illegal. Leaving during a crisis to go on vacation isn't a crime and as legislator while Congress isn't in session this isn't a dereliction of his duty.

None of that means that there isn't more he could or should've been doing the past week. He still is a representative of Texas and wields a lot of influence and connections those could've been used to help out his constituents. For charging him with a crime though I'm not seeing it.

ElPigto, dachuda86 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He made a very bad optics move... he could have gotten out and "led" his community by handing out bottles of water or something but I think this is some hackery to take him down a peg. That said he should have leaned into it... stayed a week longer... rolled up with a nice sunglass tan... and say what'd I miss with a confident **** eating grin.

15. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Local ABC news just showed Lyin Ted pulling carpet from a “friend’s” house that flooded. They then interviewed friend “Mikki Moore”... who is former playboy playmate and scout Mikki Chernoff Moore. A little Facebook stalking shows she lives in Katy. Ol Ted lives in River Oaks. Interesting choice to head out to Katy to help a “friend”

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

He sure is “busy” trying to repair his image. One thing that would work for me is him renouncing and refusing to accept any money from oil and gas. If he does that, I raise him up to a normal level Republican.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would find Ted Cruz not taking oil and gas money more shocking than the Texans going to the Super Bowl.

ROCKSS and Amiga like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

nobody like Ted Cruz in Congress so he stands a better chance of being kicked out. But of course, no one would bother wasting their political capital on him either. He’s damaged.

it needs not be criminal and there is NO standard for removal

“Under Article I, Section 5, clause 2, of the Constitution, a Member of Congress may be removed from office before the normal expiration of his or her constitutional term by an “expulsion” from the Senate (if a Senator) or from the House of Representatives (if a Representative) upon a formal vote on a resolution agreed to by two-thirds of the Members of that body present and voting. While there are no specific grounds for an expulsion expressed in the Constitution, expulsion actions in both the House and the Senate have generally concerned cases of perceived disloyalty to the United States, or the conviction of a criminal statutory offense which involved abuse of one’s official position. Each house has broad authority as to the grounds, nature, timing, and procedure for an expulsion of a Member. However, policy considerations, as opposed to questions of authority, have appeared to restrain the Senate and House in the exercise of expulsion when it might be considered as infringing on the electoral process, such as when the electorate knew of the past misconduct under consideration and still elected or re-elected the Member.”

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For as unlikeable as Ted Cruz I still don't see any realistic chance of him getting thrown out of the Senate. Given that there have been several on Right who have defended him including DJTJ I doubt that the Senate can get to 67 votes to remove. If there is actually a resolution to see Cruz removed my guess is you will start seeing much of the Republican Caucus, Rightwing media and etc. rally around him as the Democrats trying to "cancel" another figure they don't like..

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mariachi band brings Mexico to Ted Cruz's home

Ted Cruz's vacation to Mexico was cut short, so Mexico was brought to his Houston home on Sunday afternoon in the form of a live mariachi band. A big chef's kiss to the folks behind this brilliant stunt!

Their statement:

We are concerned patriots who felt terrible that Ted had to cancel the vacation that he so richly deserved, so we wanted to show him how much he is loved.