1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: OMB Director nomination nipped due to mean tweets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given how much Biden has talked about changing the culture of Washington this was an easy decision to pull Tanden's nomination. Tanden might be intelligent and capable but the Admin had to know that her tweets would become an issue given the environment we're in. In the end this is a very small step by the Biden Admin. to appease both Republicans and Progressives and Young is certainly capable of filling that spot.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Republican senators noted that Tanden tweeted three years ago that “Russia did a lot more to help Bernie than the DNC’s random internal emails did to help Hillary.”

While Sanders did not rehash specific tweets, he noted that Tanden has publicly disparaged him and other prominent political figures. “Your attacks were not just made against Republicans,” he said. “There were vicious attacks against progressives, people who I have worked with — me personally.”

Tanden expressed regret for her harsh words. “I feel badly about that,” she said. “My approach will be radically different.”

Pressed repeatedly on whether she “meant” the tweets, Tanden told Kennedy, “Senator, I must have meant them, but I really regret them.”

Republicans have raised concern that Tanden’s past criticism of lawmakers could impede her ability to work with Congress on major policy and funding issues that require bipartisan support to clear both chambers.

During Tanden's first confirmation hearing Tuesday, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) noted that Tanden “wrote that Susan Collins is the worst, that Tom Cotton is a fraud, that vampires have more heart than Ted Cruz” and called Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell “Moscow Mitch and Voldemort.”

Tanden also has faced scrutiny for the millions of dollars in corporate donations her liberal think tank has accepted. Sanders said Wednesday that his affirmative vote for her confirmation will be contingent on assurance that the money the Center for American Progress has taken in under Tanden's leadership will not undermine her duty to “create an economy that works for all of us, and not just wealthy campaign contributors.”

in case anyone is wondering what her issue was

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nipped...She had a wardrobe malfunction?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really don't know why she was put forward in the 1st place, seems she was just a bomb thrower.

don't feel sorry for her, actions have consequences.

ROCKSS, dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

the Repugs were ok w Trump's mean tweets, as well as those of the Acting Sec of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf.

her tweets were relatively tame.​

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe to give Joe Manchin something to point to as evidence of his independent thinking?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not just a Republican thing she went at Bernies head as well.

This is politics nothing about this is fair.

She knows how things work.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard some speculation that the Biden Admin. knew that Tanden's tweets would be an issue but they felt that it would actually be good to have a controversial nominee that could attention from other nominees. Tanden might've been a shiny object thrown out there that Republicans and others could focus on and then the Admin. pulls her name giving the critics a win while the Admin gets other nominees through.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Twitter. What it is good for?

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually kind of wondered that at first too just because she was so prominent on MSNBC. Looking at her resume though she actually was pretty qualified, but it was probably her relationships with the Biden folks that prompted her nomination. I'm sure her and Ron Klain go way back.

Basically the moral of the story is there's a double standard with the parties in being able to be partisan media people and still be able to work in government and Democrats if they want a position in government aren't allowed to be featured in the media, or even be talked about in the media (see people like Sally Yates who is awesome but couldn't get confirmed now because of FoxNews, or Peter Strojk who by all means other than an affair seems like a pretty damn good FBI agent).

However there are so many good people behind the scenes that aren't talking heads on MSNBC or CNN or the subject of FoxNews' smear campaign of the week so it doesn't bother me one bit for her to be a sacrificial lamb in this case.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Weird how they suddenly give 2 ***** about Tweets.

DD

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So I guess wen it comes time to limit the filibuster to pass the Voting Rights act and, in no uncertain terms, save democracy, Manichin can look at this, and his dumb arbitrary cut-off moving for COVID relief and say he got what he wanted.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't give a crap about whether someone is nice or not, but on a governing front Neera Tanden is a human turd. Good riddance.