1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have wondered how much more prevalent that word is nowadays compared to generation x, and what affect that has had. I'm not sure how many teenagers nowadays have heard or read that word, but it has to be exponentially higher than kids hearing it tossed around 30 years ago. I did a quick search for an article on the subject and this was the first one that came up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/n...ched-racial-slur-now-more-prevalent-than-ever

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was hardly dropping a N bomb.

So U of T should be kicking black folks out by the use of the word on social media as well?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t record yourself using the n-word with a hard er and post it on social media...u could face consequences u don’t want...period, end of story

DaDakota and DVauthrin like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That is a surprise to me. You'd think all the uproar over PC culture and word policing among young people would mean that its use would drop quit a lot.

I'm interested to see how its use amongst kids correlates to the political leanings of their community.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

White people have used it in a derogatory and demeaning way. That's why it's different.

Never said anything about rap music being only for black people.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Was that person 15? Did that person become a national story and was kicked out of her college for something she said 3 years ago at 15?

Don't beat up strawmen. I'm not defending the ability of a white person to say that word. I'm making a claim that a 15 year old saying the word and not out of maliciousness, but rather ignorance, having zero other history of having these type of incidents and apologizing doesn't deserve to be kicked out of school.

That is my claim. Debate that claim.

And plenty of white kids who listen to rap music say the term. Are they wrong for it? I guess, but I'm assuming it's out of ignorance rather than racial hatred.

7. durvasa

That may be true, but however it is pronounced hearing the n-word over and over in music will probably desensitize someone to its use in casual speech, even with the hard er. Again, we're talking about children here.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So are they gonna rescind offers from black kids doing the same?

How is this remotely, fair?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and only the dems callout people?

howbout the deaththreats? violent rhetorics?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How the hell is she a young casual racist because of this.

What the hell are you thinking?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Did she though? Let's judge by individual merit. Does she have history of racial sentiments? Does she espouse right wing rhetoric? Does she have any other racial incidents?

12. Nook

Nook Member

This level of extremism will cost the democrats elections in the future as this attitude continues to grow.

Space Ghost, Tomstro and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. durvasa

I meant the NYT article I read that covered the story was fair. Not what happened to this student.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

there’s a difference between saying n***a and n***er, and if you’re white, u shouldn’t be using either, but if u want to use the word with a hard er and post it online, then face your consequences

u should always watch what u post online if you’re gonna apply to anything, whether that be college, a job, med school, etc

plenty of 15 year old know not to do this...she’s dumb

15. durvasa

You're essentially just saying: "this is what happens when you do dumb stuff like this, deal with it". That doesn't at all address the point that's being made, which is that the consequences a child faces for doing dumb stuff, especially if they are apologetic about it, should be different from the consequences a mature adult faces.

Tomstro, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. fchowd0311

Except we are debating the consequences are not marching her actions given the context.

15 year olds don't have a clear idea of consequences yet. Hence why their frontal lobe is still developing. Hence why we have a different court system for minors and why charging minors as adults is considered immoral by congitive scientists who study brain development.

Your view would have some semblance of rationality if this girl has a pattern of behavior rather than a singular incident where she didn't even express the term towards someone in a malicious manner. She also apologized sincerely.

Your attitude is just going to result in young impressionable people digging their heals into the sand.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

I have no idea what death threat and violent rhetoric have tondo with any of this.

Those things should be condemned but this out of control PCness turns of a lot of people in the middle and turns them off.

There is a reason Trump gained traction with a lot of people.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of kids know not to use the n-word, and everyone knows the n-word with a hard er is something u don’t say

n***er is not used by black people...it is not used in songs...it is not used in casual conversation

black people have taken the word n***a and changed it to a term of endearment among each other...however, n***er is an extremely powerful word and is 1 of those words that simply should never be said

19. fchowd0311

So again, you believe a singular incident by a 15 year old deserves her life being turned upside down?

You know, you could be rational and say she deserves a sit down with someone in the black community and discuss the implications of the word. To me, that is suitable recourse for her slip up at 15. Having a lecture, not having her life turn upside down. That's draconian.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm black and I don't think the word itself is racist along with a lot of other black people.

It's not as simple as that.