1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. foh

foh Member

I've just summarized some 20 posts I've read on this thread. Are you saying that something I said is wrong? Is there no discussion about rap songs using the term that this woman used?

What are you trying to say by replying to me?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course she made a mistake and she is young, this is PRECISELY the time she should learn her lesson.

There is no irreparable harm done to her - maybe the University should have made her take diversity classes, or black history so she could understand the context of that word, and the plight of those people?

But in the end, this is just a hard lesson for her at 18 - so what...we all got those....

It will blow over for her in a matter of months......and....lesson learned.

Words matter !!!

DD

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not the hard R!:rolleyes:

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's actually not that reasonable, especially considering how much rap music is marketed to that demographic.

How at 15 years old in rural Virginia t to know it's fine to listen to that word in all types of media or ok to here black people say it to each other but you can't say it to your friends.

Not all black people think its should be banned from white people saying like me so it's definitely a grey area.

That's why her being the center of this **** storm is so crazy especially when it happened years ago in JR High.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Bruh...she lost a cheer scholarship to a state university, has to enroll in a local community college to further her education, and received death threats/hate mail/cyber bullying. No irreparable harm?

apollo33 and jiggyfly like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And who are you to say this?

I am a black man and I don't have a problem, why is what you believe better than what I believe?

Should we cancel Eminem, Action Bronson and Tarentino?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So if she had said the A instead of the R it would have been ok?

Is this your argument now?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No you have not summarized anything, nobody is arguing about appropriation, yes rap songs are being discussed but it has nothing to do with appropriation.

That's what I am replying to you.

Your post was totally off topic so that why I asked who was it directed too.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who am I to say that there’s no good context to some white kid saying the word n***er? I’m done here...

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes who are you?

I am black and I disagree so why does what you feel trump what I feel?

Don't run away now.

11. foh

foh Member

It's a known fact that the term used by the woman in the video that she was sacked for is appropriated by african american culture. When I was in American public education system I was specifically told not to use that term as a white person.

There have been many posters suggesting that because rap lyrics are perusing that term that kids have no mental wherewithal to know not to use the term in their speech.

Here is a quote by you on the first page that implies that argument:

So what I said was totally on topic whether you understand it or not.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tamir Rice was 12 years old
    The cops pulled up on him and killed him within 10 seconds

I think Ms Groves will be ok . . . .

Rocket River

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really my dude?

I can't believe you are equating this with Tamir.

I am learning a lot about people and it's not for the best.

SMH.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dumbest comment I've ever seen.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is what I said anything about appropriation?

I am currently in the American public education system and nobody teaches the use of that word at all.

It seems you are now just making **** up.

16. foh

foh Member

Ok, I'll clarify to try to put this to rest...

I think the gist of your argument (quoted by me) has to do with unwillingness to let the African American community to exclusively appropriate the non-PC word that the woman in the OP video was censured for.

Had you allowed for that, you wouldn't talk about rap songs using the term. Rap is synonymous with african american culture. So the term being used by rappers is just part of the african american culture. You can appropriate rap as a white person because it is a compliment to the originators, but you can't appropriate the non-PC word, because it is not perceived as a compliment. So just because rap songs use the term, doesn't mean that a white person should be able to.

I came up through NY public school system in 90s and it wasn't public educators who advised me not to use the term but another institution that prepped me upon entering HS. If you, as an educator, do not teach that to kids, personally, I think you should.

I think that kids who are 15 years old (that would be a senior in high school) are more than capable of knowing whether the use of that term in general and especially on social media is advisable.

Like I said before, she welcome to sue - in fact, I hope she gets reinstated to her desired school of choice.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Does it seem like cancel culture is mostly gay dudes or les girlies looking for drama and attention on social media?

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cant dismiss seeing more examples where they're doubly nasty and self righteous. It's like they diced up the potential dried up tears of their target and took a bump off of it.

Power and recognition is intoxicating

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Jews, Gays and women. They all have at least one very hurtful word, that when used, cuts to the bone. If you ever been on the receiving end of it, it's not fun. Even if you're the type of person that shrugs these things off, out of your control, it can creep on you randomly and then f-up your day.

Don't want to get into an argument. Maybe I'm just old school and see this with less gray area. The N word ending in hard a 'r', is not something a non-black person should say. It's not a crime, but it's also about not being a dick. Recording yourself, then posting it on social media is more dumb.

At 15, she ought to know better. If she didn't, now she knows. Without consequence, usually behaviors don't change. People can debate the punishment's severity. In some instances, cancel culture runs-a-muck, but on this one, if I'm honest, I just don't feel that bad for her.

Chappelle had this old bit about age 15:

"While you guys are busy worrying about if R. Kelly even peed on this girl or not… you’re not asking yourself the real question… that America needs to decide once and for all. And that question is: ”How old is 15, really?” No, that’s a good question. I’m not saying that a person is as smart as they’re gonna be at 15. That’s not what I’m saying, man. But I am saying, 15 to me… is old enough to decide… whether or not you want to be pissed on. That’s me. If you can’t make a decision like that by the time you’re 15… then just give up, motherf*cker, because life is way harder than that. I make tougher decisions all the time. You don’t wanna get pissed on, get out of the way. It’s not even a decision. "

At 15, if she doesn't know recording yourself saying the N-word is bad, then is she elite college material?

#299 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021