1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Then why are u asking me if black kids should get the same treatment? They don’t use that word. If a black kid got exposed for using some Asian racial slur or something and got a college offer rescinded, I won’t be on here shedding tears either. Watch what u post on social media. People lose college offers, job offers, med school acceptances, etc all the time over it. This is nothing new. I know a few people currently in Dental school, and some of the things they post make me cringe and have me sitting there hoping nobody goes on their page when they’re applying for jobs.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you believe the fallout doesn't match the deed?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

She wasn't kicked out of school. I don't know her character but I can make a pretty damn good informed guess. Based on what she said in her own video, based on the school she attends, and based on the town that she lives in she's quacking and looking like a damn duck.

4. fchowd0311

No you can't make an informed guess especially at her age of 15 when she did the deed. Personalities change a lot during that age bracket. People grow more mature. People have changing views. People at her age are exposed to new views especially in college. Also the fact that she was proponent of BLM before this came out(from her public social media posts), says that you probably don't have an "informed" opinion of her character. Humans are more complex than singular words expressed when they were 15. When you grow up, you'll learn this.

Astrodome and Tomstro like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's probably the best defense one can come up with for this. Personally, I'm not so comfortable with the "ends justifies the means" defense of cancel culture. There has to be better ways of dealing with the problem than turning people who commit offenses due to really bad judgment into victims.

Nook, DVauthrin and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Oh no doubt you enjoy this story.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. CometsWin

Well I will go with what she said in her own video, where she goes to school and what happens in that school, and where she lives and you can stick with white teens from racist schools in racist towns make enormous character changes between 15 and 18. Maybe next year when I grow up I'll have a better grasp on how racism is linked to maturity and all the old ass mofos in my neighborhood that are plenty mature and plenty racist.

8. CometsWin

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

10. CometsWin

Obviously. Troll town Trollstro.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Another completely racist rant from you

12. fchowd0311

Do conservative racists support BLM? Liberals are supposed to be above making assumptions based on stereotypes.

jiggyfly and Tomstro like this.
  13. CometsWin

Completely. Like totally.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is it just me, or is this some Grade A Premeditated Snitchin'?

Something wrong with that guy.

The mixed messaging continues to set a bad precedent for other downstream issues. I get the initial use of the word is supposed to take away power from the oppressor, but the selective taboo nature means it still has as much power as before, except it's now monetized by creatives and their IP owners.

Pronouncing it with "a" vs "er" is a ridiculous red herring. Non-blacks can't say neither in a public setting. It's more a selective pass to use when it's someone you like or know. Or maybe when someone who needs some damage control to save their bacon.

These little word games are "empowerment traps" for marginalized classes without real power. We can play this till the cows come home but it's not gonna put food on anyone's plates.

#214 Invisible Fan, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Nook, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. CometsWin

That's like do old rich white racists date black chicks. Sometimes, yeah. The racism in this school is a fact, not an assumption and not a stereotype. Frankly I don't like any of it. I don't like what she did and I don't like that this guy was lying in wait to nail her for it. This is what happens when some people use their power to screw with other people, sometimes there's payback. You're just upset with the payback though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/26/...cial-slurs.html#click=https://t.co/cgIsjgMKp3

A report commissioned last year by the school district documented a pattern of school leaders ignoring the widespread use of racial slurs by both students and teachers, fostering a “growing sense of despair” among students of color, some of whom faced disproportionate disciplinary measures compared with white students.

“It is shocking the extent to which students report the use of the N-word as the prevailing concern,” the report said. School system employees also had a “low level of racial consciousness and racial literacy,” while a lack of repercussions for hurtful language forced students into a “hostile learning environment,” it said.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

low level of racial consciousness and racial literacy

The hell does that mean?

17. fchowd0311

Wow, because her town has racial issues, she's racist. And, no, supporting blm isn't the same as saying "I have a black friend" because the former makes a explicit declaration on what type of ideology and principles you stand by and the other is a defense mechanism someone uses when they are called racist. She expressed support for BLM well before her supposed friend released the video so it wasn't from a motive of her trying to save her ass. It was a sincere expression of support.

Tell me how these draconian reactions positively effect the black community?

You really are trying to grasp at straws here and are failing in basic tenants of liberal thought such as using individual merit to judge someone and having basic empathy.

Nook likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This thread has gone full retart.

19. Major

Major Member

Maybe, but they aren't. She was.

That's her choice though. It's also not like if she goes to another school, it won't follow her there. For all we know, the 18 year old will go re-release it and try to make it go viral at the new school.

Nook, Invisible Fan and DVauthrin like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 6.24.31 PM.jpg

jiggyfly likes this.