1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: “It should be banned”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 8, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Interesting you brought up Nazi stuff, from my understanding, in Germany supporting Nazism is very much canceled.

Canceling cancel culture is cancel culture. NawMEAN? People have the right to get together and say "F this guy" and that is ultimately freedom of speech.

Again, I completely support freedom of speech. The nuance is to this, why don't you consider cancel culture freedom of speech?

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We actually agree 80% on CC I just think its different for a 50+ year old man posting something recent than and 20 something who did something in the heat of the moment or dredging up something somebody said years ago.

I think the sqiudbilly guy deserves being fired what actually would he be learning or anybody of that age and vitriol?

I don't think it is dividing us more its just people showing how divided we really are.

Sometimes people are victims of circumstance and sometimes people do just really dumb ****.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True people were divided before and cancel culture didn't create out divisions. I don't think it makes it better and thinks it makes things worse.

Yes people are dumb but I doubt any of us have never said or written something dumb or regrettable. It's just human nature though that people tend to react poorly in regard to threats and out of fear. That cancel culture is actually about cancelling people is threat and fear.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

See I just can't get behind the argument of ever have written or said something dumb and regrettable, some of these people should have known better considering it is 20/20, you don't get out of jail because you did not know the law.

I don't think Cancel Culture is that cut and dried and we don't know if it there was not a cancel culture, would these people still have jobs, there is a lot to unpack in every instance.

#24 jiggyfly, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Canceling Goodyear^

What will we ever do if Trump and basso_S_ Tragicomedy and the rest start complaining online about things they don't like, cancel culture will blow up in our faces!

Time for a new strategy, let them do whatever they want. The alternative is too chilling to contemplate

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Isn't that what these people want though? I feel that's what a lot of them want.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

We have a difference in definition of cancel culture.

To me, cancel culture is wanting somebody stricken from the history books, or wanting somebody fired from their job. That's where the line is crossed. That's not freedom of speech. I support freedom of speech, in the sense that people should get together and air their grievances. But, once again, that is not cancel culture to me.

Cancel culture as I define it, as in getting somebody fired from their job for something they say online, which may be ignorant or just taken out of context, should be cancelled. If you disagree with that, then I think you're not so Pro freedom of speech.

It's also to me, be bringing up and athletes passed on draft night. For instance, someone said something offensive when they were 14, and now it's brought up the night they get drafted, we should be the greatest night of their life. To me that's absurd, and reeks of jealousy.

As far as cancel culture and historical figures, I have no idea what the fascination is there. Nobody wants to take those historical figures in the context of their eras. It's a whole lot of ignorance with no supported endgame, in my opinion.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There really is no set definition of cancel culture but the underlying theme is to yes cancel people from the culture like everything else some people abuse it and some people use it as a tool for relevance and to have some type of power.

Like everything else it will balance out and some good people are gonna get ****ed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

I just don't see how people promote something like that as if it's a positive thing. I don't see how anybody can say that wanting that to not be a thing is somebody being against freedom of speech.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Promote what?

And people promote all kinds of bad things everyday?

You are choosing to believe "cancel culture" is a bad thing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

What I'm saying is I don't see how people can choose to believe that it's a positive thing. In America we have freedom of speech. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you're going to be loved by everybody or even liked by everybody, but it also means you have the right to voice your opinion, no matter what it is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wpw... can republicans get any more pathetic?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's already protections for mental people.

Redundancy is also known as "government bloat"

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lol from legalinsurrection.com?

Y U no Stop da steal!!!

Afraud of Jewish space laz0rs?

Nothin that shooting your ak in the air won't fix...

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is a difference between Free Speech and Spreading Lies that cause an insurrection.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does this even mean?

Talking **** about those networks is violating free speech? Conservatives are the party of projection. Like it is an abject fact that they are the party of snowflakes.

Oh no Gina got fired and still lives a life of luxury and fame with thousands of worshipers. She's a victim....

**** me this is absurd.

What about the free speech to talk **** about those networks?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/07/among-cosbys-most-high-profile.html

excerpt:

This would have been a good time for Howard to say that the rights of the criminally accused are just as important as enforcing the criminal law, but Howard's statement asserts "Survivors of sexual assault will always be our priority."
    more at the link