1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Canaan or Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 22, 2014.

?

Who is more likely to earn a rotation spot?

1. Team Canaan

68 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Team Johnson

105 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is more likely to earn a spot in the Rocketd rotation next season?

2. traveler

traveler Member

Canaan because he has some experience. Johnson will be Dleague.

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Carl would have team Johnson as part of something he writes.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Canaan because he can shoot. That is the prereq for this team. Even Bev can shoot.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If only there were some large gathering of rostered players that played out over the course of several weeks -- a "camp," if you will -- during which time Canaan and Johnson could show their mettle.

Oh, well. I guess we have no better way to determine this than to take a poll in late July.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Both of them just finished the summer league. Just want to see what fans think after watching both play with and against other young pros and propsects.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The Johnson hype is real, but the edge goes to Canaan and his experience. Remember folks, it's not what YOU want, it's what MCHALE wants

9. newAge_Rockets

Nick plays better in the flow of the offense, doesn't often jack up bad shots, and is great at movement without the ball. He also has a little bit of Bev's determined hunger to wreck havoc on the defensive end.

I think Johnson is also an excellent off guard compliment to Harden. He doesn't need the ball to find opportunities to make easy baskets around the rim (kinda like the old guy that moved up I45) Johnson could also potentially guard 2's to mask Harden's defensive deficiencies.

I want to see him as the backup to Bev. Sorry Isaiah and Ish.

10. newAge_Rockets

I hope they don't bury Nick in the valley.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Canaan will probably win the job this year, but Johnson has a much higher ceiling IMO. Both will be decent bench guys going forward.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Oh we'll bury our Johnson alright

13. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Nick plays good D, is super athletic, and is a much more intelligent player. Canaan takes too many bad shots, but definitely has the potential to go off every now and then. I think in the end, they play similar minutes. Sort of like Casspi, Garcia, Hamilton, etc. at SF last year. Whoever's in form gets to play.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hope he's not inconsistent. After we pull our Johnson out, we might have to insert him back in!

15. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Johnson Better defender and better passer , Cannan is a better scorer but Nick is who you want in the game controlling the flow

16. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Nick Johnson is trade bait. Im sure if the rumored Phx deal for Dragic has any truth to it then we would have to ship him out in any package.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How the F is a player that literally every team in the NBA passed on in the draft, drafted to be trade bait?

Maybe Morey drafted him because he liked him as a player who could defend, play the 1 or the 2, and could contribute in year 1 much like a Parsons type.

Just my 2 cents, but sure.... Of course Morey drafted him to use as trade bate.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Canaan doesn't have the foot work or explosiveness to be effective. But for Mchale you might just be a starter.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Like Parsons did his rookie year, I think Johnson is going to get the nod over Canaan. Johnson plays defense. His hustle and athleticism make up for his inconsistent shot, much like it did with Parsons.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This season ... likely neither unless Morey just cant find a better option.

Canaan is Aaron Brooks lite. Either he's filling it up or he's hurting you , just doesn't possess skills other than scoring and his size limits him severely. Cant see him as a rotation player , seems like an end of the bench guy to me.

Johnson doesn't have NBA 3 point range , will likely spend the year in the D-League. Probably the better player long term.

Gun to my head , play one or the other behind Beverley ..... I go with Johnson as he has more tools to work with.