1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can you guys name some early draft picks who were raw when drafted and panned out?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by WinorLoseMate, Aug 22, 2012.

1. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

It seems to me that drafting on athleticism and potential has never really been an effective method of finding a high quality player. Players like Hassan Whiteside,Hasheem Thabeet, Anthony Randolph, Tyrus Thomas.. and these are just picks within the last six years off the top of my head.

Who are some raw players projected in the lottery who panned out well?

2. prs325

prs325 Member

2 words... Akeem Olajuwon

2 people like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tmac Maybe

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Hibbert, Tyson Chandler, KG, Camby, Sam Bowie.

5. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Roy Hibbert is nothing great... I watched the entire Pacers and Heat series and he was virtually a non-factor. How he got paid max dollars is beyond me.
    Tyson Chandler is a good example I guess, but he is what you expect from a 2nd overall draft choice.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I think Bynum is a perfect example of what you are asking. Maybe Dwight too.

7. arubato

arubato Member

Jermaine O'neal. Even though he was not a lottery pick (17th pick)

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know if Tyson Chandler really panned out as he was projected to do. I remember ppl were saying he was going to be the next Kevin Garnett when he was drafted, but he never developed any kind of an offensive game.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

DeMarcus Cousins

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Hibbert was a big factor in the Heat series. He was one of the guys that the Heat actually had trouble with on both ends. Take Hibbert away, the Heat win in 4.
    It's the bench choking that killed the Pacers in the end.
    Hibbert was not impressive in Orlando series though, had a ton of trouble with Baby Davis defensively.

But Hibbert is a bad example for the question. He was never "raw". He was one of the most skilled big men to come out in the draft in the last decade.
    He just lacked physically. Strength and mobility. He had a lot of fat, so he had to drop weight and replace it with muscle.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

not 'raw'. Very skilled. Just stupid, poor attitude, fat.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

this.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

also, Luol Deng.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Bynum.
    Ibaka.
    DeAndre Jordan seems well on that path.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

*edit* i didn't notice we are talking lotto picks specifically, so Jordan, Ibaka and O'Neal wouldn't apply.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Dikembe Mutombo, pick at #4 in 1991 and was considered raw despite putting up nice block numbers and FG% at Georgetown. He immediately showed what he could do though, unlike many other centers who did well in college. I think if bigs don't show their talent in the NBA immediately (within 2 years), chances are they are not going to make it.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Antonio McDyess (I remember him being a late draft riser)
    Andre Iguodala
    Russell Westbrook
    Andrew Bynum
    Kris Humphries

Then there's high school drafted guys like Tracy McGrady and Amare while not considered quite "raw", high schoolers just arent easy to forecast so they're very "green", its about the same thing.

Not a lottery pick, not even in the 1st round.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but that's not true. If you had said that about Hakeem when he first arrived at UH directly from Nigeria, then hell yes. Many don't realize that Coach Lewis redshirted him his first year, and that he didn't play a hell of a lot as a redshirted freshman. Sure, he was raw and skinny back then, but by the time he was up for the NBA draft, Olajuwon was a skilled force of nature. Why do you think he was the #1 pick? On potential? Not hardly. He could already make the midrange jumper. He already had some shake and bake moves. He already scared the hell out of opposing coaches. Dream is not a good example at all.

19. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Andrew Bynum is a perfect example. Westbrook? Not so much. He was a high pick and played SG in College. He just had to learn to play the hardest position in the NBA, but he already had the necessary skills.. and to the guy who said Akeem, he was the first pick; can't get any higher expectations than that.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

your question was 'high picks who were raw'.
    But now you are dismissing Chandler and Westbrook (two guys drafted because of immense athletic talent that was far above their skillset) because they were picked high.
    What gives?