1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can You Be a Fan of a School's Team If You Didn't Attend That School?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 21, 2009.

?

Is it right to root for a school you didn't actually attend?

1. yes

70.4%
  2. no

29.6%
  1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

school. no.
    professional team. yes

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Then don't.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

the fact that any of you gives a damn about who someone else roots for shows what a sad human being you are. get a life, especially you ffb. i highly doubt you were even able to get into texas tech with the intelligence you show on this board, you ****ing sand aggie. i bet you were too drunk to even understand the words that were coming out of the persons mouth you were talking to.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Growing up, I never leaned either way between UT and A&M. I had friends that went to both (I went to SHSU). I had a friend that played football for A&M in the early 90's, so I watched them more than UT. Now, I live in Austin and I find myself following UT sports more and more. Especially because there are no pro teams here (other than the few minor league teams). I still hope that A&M and UH do well, but if they're playing UT, I pull for UT. I couldn't care less about Rice, Baylor, and Tech. Not because I hate them, I've just never had any attachment to them whatsoever.

With the fact that the line between major college sports and professional sports becomes more and more faded every day, there is absolutely no reason someone can't become a fan of a school whether they went there or not. How many fans on this board have never even been to Houston? Is there a difference between those fans and those that are fans of schools they never attended?

5. Major

Major Member

Given that most college athletes and pro athletes (at least in the two big sports - basketball and football) are black, I'm not sure how race is involved.

6. Major

Major Member

According to who? Who is the person that gets to determine what group of people an organization represents?

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The word prefacing the team's name.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Texas Longhorns

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What about:

Country, State, City, College - in that order? :confused:

EDIT: I disagree with people who root for a certain team just because... you must have some ties to it. :eek:

If you disagree for people who are going for UT just because their last season was good, you will also have to disagree with people who now go for the Rockets just because they won in '94 and '95, in my opinion.

#69 SwoLy-D, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  10. Fatty FatBastard

Lol. Such language!

The sad part is that you don't get that UT alums view you the same way as your above comments.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

don't you live in chicago now?

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you asked the Rockets, they'd probably say they represent the fans of the Houston Rockets, regardless of where they come from.

That is, unless you believe the thousands of fans on this bbs who aren't from Houston and probably have never been to Houston should just leave.

13. s land balla

I thought the other thread clarified that UT and Texas are interchangable terms, when in context of the Longhorns.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I saw a guy in the student ticket line for UH/Tech wearing a UT t-shirt. I wish he could have gotten yanked out. You're going to wear that in the AAC? Have some decency.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

please. i've met more ut alums in my years of going to ut football games and living/working in austin and i haven't heard one person say anything even remotely similar to what you're lying about here, you sand aggie.

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

We do? Did any other alums attend the meeting where we voted Fatty as our spokesman?

17. Fatty FatBastard

Really? They say you're the exception?

Shocking...

18. s land balla

I do. I should have specified past and present in my earlier post.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you're either lying (which i'm guessing is the case) or your ut friends are dumb****s.

actually, considering you, it's a toss-up.

20. Major

Major Member

Interesting. So the Texas Rangers can be followed by anyone in Texas, but the Houston Astros are restricted to Houston fans? Sucks for all their fans in the valley and areas surrounding Houston. :(