1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can/will Detroit repeat?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sane, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Personally, I don't think Detroit should've won it, and I think there's no way in hell they'll repeat.

They are good, very good. Best in the East. But best in the NBA? I sincerely doubt it.

A healthy Lakers team would've won it. Minnesota, San Antonio, Sacramento and Dallas all would've been favorites as well.

That's my opinion though.

Anyway, assuming they re-sign Rasheed can they win it again? Okur is gone, but he barely played in the playoffs. There's nothing he did that a second-year Milicic, Elden Campbell, or a newly signed McDyess can't do. They also have a new draft pick to contribute, as well as last year's pick from South American who's apparently a very good swingman.

So assuming they're just as good as last year, if not very slightly better, can they repeat? Are they the best team in the league going into next season assuming no major changes in the big teams (i.e., nothing super lopsided goes on)?

2. Sane

Sane Member

Damn, I forgot to tick the poll option. Any way the mods can do it?

3 options:

- Hell yes.
    - Hell no.
    - They have as good a chance of repeating as any other champion.

If not, that's fine I guess.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Detroit was dominent to a degree that is rarely seen in the Finals. Bulls over Jazz wasn't the butt-kicking that happened this year. Spurs might have beaten them, but I doubt the Wolves or Kings could have matched the intensity that Detroit brought to the table. They knocked out both the Nets and the Pacers to get there, too. Was it a matter of timing and peaking at the right moment? Very likely. Still they came together and produced the best team basketball seen in the NBA in years.

Now, sustaining that into next year will be the real trick. I can't fathom at least a slight drop off. On the other hand, they're restocking. Carlos Delfino should arrive and could be a strong backup swingman. Dilic is likely going to crack into the playing rotation, especially if Milic is gone. Plus, they'll have leftover cap space to use to bring in another back up PG if they want.

Wallace should resign. Ben and Rip turning down the Olympic invites looked bad, but it'll mean they won't return with nagging injuries from playing.

Looking at the other teams, the Nets aren't going to upgrade their roster and could lose Martin soon. Larry Bird has been open about wanting to clear Artest and Harrington out to upgrade the roster, but who knows what he'll get. Orlando may be solid now that they have legit players at all 5 spots and even depth.

Yeah, I'd have to say that Detroit is the favorite to come out of the East again. Favorite to repeat as champs? Only if they maintain their unity and intensity and meet another flawed West squad.

Evan

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I wouldn't be suprised if they got back to the finals, but I seriously doubt they can win it again.

6. sun12

sun12 Member

If they get into the final, they will win again.

Look at the west teams, Dallas lost Nash, Minny and Kings get old and capped out, Minny has no inside presence anyway, Lakers no way, Spurs is going to lose either Gino/Turk. Rox has chemistry issue to solve first after the big trade, deadweight contracts to solve, no real PF, no backup C, no real PG.

so basically, Piston has a bright future, well-managed cap, very good talent evaluator, good to great young players signed into reasonable contracts, great GM.

In the end, organizations win championships. Organizations pick the right players, sign the right players to reasonable contracts. Inferior GMs might be lucky once to hit a lottery ball, but can't identify good 2nd-tier players.

7. Raven

Raven Member

No way the Pistons will repeat. It was a fluke Championship.

Just like the Rockets against NY.

:D

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Ummm. That is what a "Championship" means, isn't it?

They have just as much of a chance as any champion, to repeat.

9. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

orlando and miami will rock the east this year .......just a feeling I have

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Malone being out was the difference , IMO
    Malone was the main reason they killed us

I doubt they repeat

Rocket River

11. Sane

Sane Member

Lakers would have trouble beating US without Malone.

Of the 4 games we lost, 3 were extremely extremely close. Malone was the difference.

I don't think they'd beat us if we made it to the Finals next year.

Btw, a championship means you beat the team that made it out of the other conference. It doesn't mean you beat the best team in the NBA nor does it mean you are the best team in the NBA. VERY good measuring stick, but there are deviations... Just like in this case.

If Shaq goes to Miami, they won't even make it out of the East.

Can they really beat the Wolves if Cassell, Spree, Wally, Kandi and Hudson are all healthy? They didn't have that cast all of last year.

Can they beat the Spurs? I really doubt it. The Spurs are the same team, minus Turkoglu plus Barry.

The Rockets? It depends on who we get. If the roster remains unchanged, we have a decent chance. Can Big Ben stop Yao? Can anyone stop T-Mac?

One ofthe poorest teams to win the Championship in recent history. At least we had a dominant big man - the best one in the game at the time.

12. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

no way....so many changes!