1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we win a title without any superstar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matthappy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. matthappy

matthappy Member

this team runs well right now though without any superstar in the lineup.But still we are not competent enough to be a title contender.

it is commonly recognized that without superstar u can never win a title ,which again prove the importance of elite players in this league.our rotation is constituted with only role players ,no one even carl landry couldnt be recognized as a superstar level player, though he got phenomenal performance during the past months.if our role players make the most of themselves .can we have any chance to break the routine and win a title?

To me I think we should add someone who can provide consistent production in scoring in SF position instead of trevor ariza, sit trevor on the bench and request him to help us on defense end.---best choice maybe kevin martin(actually a 24th overall pick in 2004)

another type of player we badly need is a beast in down low with height and muscle who can protect our defensive rebound --best choice could be gortat

with the adding of these 2 players,I do think we could change into an instant title contender .I don't know what u guys opinion.

2. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

See Exhibit A:
    2004 Detroit Pistons

Great players, but no superstar. Great defense and team ball.

I don't think this current Rockets team is a title contender as is, but I do believe it's possible to win the title without a superstar

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We need to use TMac's contract to trade for some thugs to get to that level. This team is too nice since Ron Ron left.

4. fumduck

fumduck Member

2004 Detroit Pistons

5. matthappy

matthappy Member

yep,detroit has set a good example for us,I mean with the adding of kevin martin and marcin gortat can we change into a instant title contender.

6. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

let's get this straight. rox never had a superstar since dream. tmac, francis, and yao at best were all stars.

other than the champ pistons, it's very hard to win a title without at least an all star let alone a super star. seeing lebron (superstar) and mo williams (all star) come short from a title is an example of how hard it is to win it all.

7. Hball

Hball Member

Only reason Pistons won without a superstar, is because lakers had too many superstar players that cause chemistry problems.

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

some thugs?

WTF is that suppose to mean?

9. matthappy

matthappy Member

thug ---I love this word.

10. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Probably not, speaking of Ron, despite his personality I'd rather have him than Ariza.

11. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

no... Detroit Pistons had way better players. rip, chauncey,washeed wallace list goes on...

12. number22

number22 Member

No but if you wanna do it the detroit way, you'll need 4 all stars.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Houston is in a weird spot. Usually you get superstars and then add role players. We did this thing backwards. Although, not on purpose.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What about one of our current players turning into one.

Brooks

Landry

Budinger

All still have a chance.

DD

#14 DaDakota, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  15. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

Sadly, but I feel we're out in the first round. If each series was 1 game, I think we could. We're an easily scouted team. Once another team, plays half-court on us and limits their turnovers, I don't see how we can counter that.

Playoffs are about superstars. Unless one of our players has a cindarella type playoff, then maybe but highly unlikely.

That's why the trading of T-Mac is disappointing to me. I feel like come 4th quarter he may have the ability to take us far. Me and my friend were talking last night and he reminded me, that 22 game win streak would not have been possible if TMAC was not playing.

16. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

lol. you forgot mike harris.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would consider Yao a superstar. Many hold him to be the best center in the league.

Tracy was a superstar back in his Orlando days, now he's just a washed up POS.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

the 2004 pistons may not have had any "superstar" but they had 4 all-stars...

their team wasn't just 5 role players. people just think that team was just a team of role players because it wasn't just 1 clearcut superstar.

they had 4 all-stars including chauncey billups who is more of a closer than anyone on the rockets right now.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

2004 Pistons is the ONLY example in NBA history.

This team has the coach/talent/chemistry ...but not the experience, esp at PG. I love AB to death but I think he's a little too green. The last couple games AB has made boneheaded mistakes down the stretch causing turnovers. I don't think he's a championship PG yet esp given that he's our main initiator on offense.

That said, when Yao comes back, he'll be more like a role player. He won't average 25ppg ever again mostly cause we'll keep his minues down. But he'll still be an impact player.

If we can get Yao back and keep this core together, as these guys mature they will get dangereous.

The one guy I question is Ariza ...or at least I question how he's being utilized. I think Rick is still tweaking his PT/role and hopefully will find a sweet spot soon. He's a great player ...but he ain't no 2005 Tmac replacement for sure.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

budinger? really?