1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop this trade speculation stuff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Aug 20, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is completely irrelevent, it is like saying because a flipped penny has landed on heads 6 out of 7 times that it is more likely to land on tails.

The truth is that it is just as likely to land on heads again.

Meh, you don't care, and aren't interested in a real discussion about it....anyway.

DD

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

You're not making any sense. The chances of a penny landing tails or heads is always 50/50.

But the odds of winning without a superstar are small. It's NOT a coin flip.

The odds are always in favor of a Superstar winning a championship.

Hakeem says hi.

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really? How many rings does Barkley have? What about Malone or Stockton? Nash, how many? Kidd? How many?

Saying you need a superstar or having one means you will get a championship is stupid.

So many factors out there that matter, injuries, matchups, homecourt.....it is a lot more than whether a team has a superstar player...

And since you say Melo is a Superstar how many championships does he have?

How many playoff series victories?...2..yep a grand total of two, he is like Kevin Garnet a guy who was a star player, but not quite good enough to lead a team....or really build around...same thing as Melo....needs other star players to make it.....

DD

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I didn't say every superstar wins a ring. But you NEED a superstar to win a ring.

The last 30 years proves it. Or do you want to wait another 30 years to get a ring?

Last year's champ, Kobe, says hello.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Again, keep flipping that penny.

And Melo....IS NOT A SUPERSTAR...so you would still need one...if we got him...according to your theory.

DD

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Melo's career seven years into the league has been much more successful than Tmac's career was. Tmac might have had some scoring championships but he never made it out of the first round as we all know. Melo lead a team to the western conference finals just a year ago and led the Nuggets to the second best record in a tough Western Conference. Tmac has never proven that he can be a winner but Carmelo has.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Yes, he is.

Keep going for that 1 in 30 roll of the roulette wheel...

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

There are exactly one team without a superstar to ever win a Championship in the NBAs history. That was the tough Detroit Pistons with Defense. We are not tough and dont have defenders like them at every position. Its arguable that Chauncey Billups and Hamilton were both stars at that time. Its arguable that Yao is even a star anymore and we certainly have no stars behind him. Two solid guys who are almost stars in Brooks and Martin. No stars? No Championship ever. Thats a solid stat. Proven in every single sport. Its as important a stat as it gets.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

SPOT on.

10. RV6

RV6 Member

Like i said, it's rare, but if it's been done we cant say it's impossible. Its just difficult to field a team that's that balanced. Before there just wasnt enough talent to go around and now there's so much everyone is moving around trying to get paid and find the next best opportunity. Another problem is the team that actually had a shot at acquiring alot of talent didn't do it with a plan on mind. they went after pure talent, without thinking about fit, roles, and holes, and that's why many of them didnt work out. Morey did the opposite, and built this team based on a plan and went and got who was needed and fit.

11. acshen

acshen Member

OP, Amen!!

12. RV6

RV6 Member

did you actually go through every championship roster in history?

Was rip hamilton a "defender"? Has he ever been?

Kmart is pretty comparable to Rip, if you can consider rip a star, then so is Kmart.

You know what else was a proven and solid stat? Team don't come from the 6th seed and beat 4 teams with 50+ wins on their way to a championship.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Its pretty solid as it get. I dont want to start compairing us to the Pistons team that won the Championship up and down the lineup, because that would lead to some degrading of our teams players in some way. Then that will make me sound like a villain explaining how. Even though it would be the truth.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Calvin Murphy is in the HOF. Yao is easily in the HOF if he stays healthy. If Martin keeps putting up 22 ppg for the next 5 years or so and his team is successful, he will probably be as well.

Guess what - trading for Carmelo leaves the team in the same situation, because if Yao goes down again, the team STILL isn't a contender even with Carmelo. Even with Carmelo, it still all depends on Yao staying healthy unless the Rockets add a quality big somehow.

And besides Detroit, you have Sacramento who was robbed by the refs but was easily good enough to win a title, you have Boston who didn't really have a superstar when they won a couple of years ago, and then Boston this year was really close again. Detroit also took the Spurs to 7 a few years ago.

The thing is, it's not just a superstar you need, it's the right superstar. Paying the max to the wrong guy basically eliminates you from contention. I think Anthony has been in the league long enough for people to know whether or not he's that guy. If people are still asking the question after this long, then he probably isn't.

15. Homey the Clown

Somebody finally said it. All this delusional trade speculation has gotten crazy over the summer.

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

I dont know if that is a fair assumption. Lots of stars rise after their first few years in the league. Maturity, good coaching, and playing with the right teammates could easily effect how a star loses the 'he doesn't have it tag' or not. In fact, it may have happened with TMAC. Had RA and Morey been here in 05, maybe things turn out differently. Hell, had Juwon not been injured against the Mavs, things may have been different. Situations have a lot to do with it. KG got in a better position and won. Gasol, regarded as a softy, got into the right situation and won and is now labeled a top 10 player.

My point is, not that I'm in love with Melo, but to say that 'he's not that guy' is not fair. The Nuggets were in decent position to beat the Lakers 2 years ago, and if not for a couple of key steals from Ariza, maybe they would have.

Lastly, even if Yao were to go down, to me, Melo is still a top 7 talent at worst. We as Rockets fans surely know how hard it is to have that fall into our laps. Even with tanking several years, we may not get a talent such as this. We just have to cross our fingers (if we do indeed land Melo) that Yao stays healthy so we can truly compete. And if not, sure, I'll let Morey rebuild around Melo.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey has said time and time again that we need to add a star player and the reason he's collected assets is to do so.

He's NEVER said we are developing players to compete.

He knows what it take to compete and he wouldn't have went after Bosh if he had confidence our guys could do it.

Melo may not be the player but It sure isn't anyone on our team

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think Houstonians have a tough time dealing with moves. Its like that in every sport here. Its always about who they dont need in every trade scenario. Even the good ones. So I am tired of it to. If they had it their way we would ride out Yaos career no matter how many broken foots and how many Martin injured seasons we have. They grow attached to everyone here and then blast them when they leave or dont come here in free agency or trades. To me thats just petty. I think some trades make sense if we can do them. Remove all emotion from my team winning thoughts. Thats just me though. I understand.

19. anchel

anchel Member

Carmelo Anthony is one of the 5-6 betters players in the game.

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

It'd be mighty quiet around these parts if not for a little bit of trade speculation.

I have full confidence that Morey, Mr. Alexander, and the rest of the front office are working tirelessly to turn our little team into champions. Morey knows full well that our chances go up with the addition of a superstar to our roster. Thats why he went so hard after Bosh, and I believe he's doing all he can to land 'Melo. Problem is, there's only so many bona fide superstars out there, and Miami just picked up 3 of them. They know what they're doing. Let them do their job, and just stick to doing yours.

It's our job as fans to want our team to perform better. During the season, we do it by bashing underperformers, worshiping our heroes, and other acts of general fanaticism. During the offseason, we do it with speculation. We speculate how much our young players are developing, how our old players will hold up health-wise, how well our rookies will fare, and most importantly, how our beloved Morey will completely destroy his next victim.

As far as I can tell, all is well on the Houston basketball front. All that's missing is a championship.