1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop this trade speculation stuff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Aug 20, 2010.

1. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I do not want my Rockets to turn into the Texans. Just happy to be mediocre. I think any right minded GM will look forward and know they need a superstar. Hence is why Morey went all in for Bosh. I am pretty sure he would do the same for Melo but maybe not so publicly this time. And if you really think a current Rocket is a Hall of Famer then well....

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yes, looking forward is difficult. But what a player will be known for when he retires is irrelevant. Whats relevant is that we dont have a guy playing at a "hall of famer" level NOW.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

my sentiment exactly ... if we dont talk about trade stuff .. then we might as well shut down this section of the site and wait till the season starts .. wht else are we supposed to talk about ??? maybe each day we can analyze a different statistical component of the rockets and compare it to years past and see how many additional wins we can have with a, for example, a 3% overall increase in FT percentage ..

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

100% Correct.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yao Ming would be the one closest, but if this team goes on to win a championship or two, and players like Martin or Brooks thrive in it, they might have a shot....

I mean it is easy to look back and make comments about teams that won championships with only a superstar player.....but the Pistons proved it could be done, the Sonics mentioned here as well, the Kings under Adelman almost got it done.....

So, it can be done.......but it certainly helps to have a great player, that is playing the team oriented game.....no doubt about it.

But to completely dismiss this team, when there are so many question marks about Yao etc.....is silly.

If Yao is healthy (and all indications are that he is) then this team is going to be really really good, all up and down the roster.....especially when you consider they all compete so fricken hard......their record is going to be very nice....

DD

6. dharocks

dharocks Member

Clearly you haven't read his sig.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

I disagree. I really believe that Rockets need a superstar in the league so that we can take the load off Yao during late-game decisions. Carmelo will demand double-teams and so will Yao. That way, they can get someone open in the three point lane.

It's a reason to be excited. When will a player with the caliber of Melo come along? This is the player that Morey has been piling up assets for. You think we should just let the Yao experience play out and see if the draft picks will help? I don't think it should be that way. They have to win NOW. ANd if Morey is thinking about trading Yao if it doesn't work out, at least you will have Melo to be part of the process, God forbid that Yao goes down again or it doesn't work out....

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Neither Brooks nor Martin is close to sniffing The Hall.

Yao has an outside chance, he needs to stay healthy and put up SEVERAL strong years.

Carmelo has a much better chance of making The Hall than all of them.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Is Tmac a hall of famer? Because that is where Melo is right about now in his quest......

And you may be right about Martin and Brooks, we are just going to have to watch and see what happens to their careers.

DD

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I said players in their prime, not players past their prime. There, I said it.

:confused:

The question marks about Yao are exactly WHY I'm "dismissing" this team.

I'm dismissing their chances of winning a championship, not of having a fun and exciting season, BTW.

And LOL at everyone saying we can win without a superstar because one team in the last 30 years managed to do it.

11. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i think this statement is sort of overated bc if i remember correctly none of them might have been considered superstars but once they got the recognition most of them turned into all stars .. billups, hamilton, prince were all all stars and worthy of all nba teams hamilton shot nearly 50 % from 3 point line in those playoffs and averaged 25 points .. .. billups the following year was second all nba defense ..

add wallace at the 4 and 5 and you had a really really good team .. ben wallace was a 4 time defensive player of the year and was first nba defense that year .. i cant say we have neone on our team (even battier at his age) that can do that .....

bottom line is, while at the time of them winning the championships, they were a bunch of no names .. they were actually really really good players .. can the rockets duplicate that? one would hope so, but only time will tell

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But just because you said it doesn't make it right, he might be just as healthy as ever, or he might go down hurt again. He played more than 80 games before the slight crack in the bone 2 seasons ago...and now has had it strengthened and more than a year to heal...

Ok, and I think if Yao is healthy they are right there as is....

All 30 years of data are completely irrelevent to this discussion, the one team you mentioned did it, and if you go to 31 years you have 2 teams that have done it...in Seattle and others that nearly did it in Sacremento.

All...irrelevent....just got to see how the year goes and what matchups happen, as well as injuries to the Rocks and other teams that effect the playing field.

One could argue that if the Nuggets hadn't beaten the Sonics the Rockets might not have gotten their first championship, they were not the favorites to win it that year.

So, get in the mix, and then see what happens.....this team....as is...will be....IN THE MIX.

DD

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

DD, I'm glad you weren't the Rockets GM in 1995. You probably would've never taken a chance on trading for Clyde Drexler.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Uh.....ok......not sure how that is germaine to our discussion, but..whatever.

DD

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

You really don't know how that relates to this discussion....

[​IMG]

You're basically saying let's just stand down and see what happens. I and others are saying let's take a big risk in hopes of winning a big reward.

You honestly don't see how that relates to the Drexler trade?? Maybe you need to brush up on your Rockets history over the weekend.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree with you in part. The part about C Anthony being not your personal favorite and we would be better off with him? I dont agree with. Your never a better team without a superstar. Never.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No because that Rockets team made the trade at the deadline because they had found out that the former champions were lacking something.

We are in a similar situation with Yao, we don't know if he is going to be terrible, average, good, or great.

So right now, making that move and tying the team to a disgruntled star player with a large contract in a situation where the CBA is expiring is very very risky.

If Melo was a better player, someone who dominated more than just in scoring than I would be more inclined to take that risk, but all he does....is score, the rest of his game is average to below average.....lots of good players are overpaid because they can score the ball.....but are not guys that are really worth building around.....that is how I see Melo.

Find out about Yao, find out how the team fits around him, and then go from there....all I am saying is excercise a little patience......

DD

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

He also just declares that 30 years of data is irrelevant. Why? Who knows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

i agree with all of this until the trade deadline in february rolls around, by then lots of things will have happened; 1.We will know Yao's health standpoint alot better, 2.We will know whether or not our younger players are going to pan out the way we hope, 3. Denver should have a G.M. by then, and last but not least it should be more clear whether or not Carmelo Anthony wants to be in Houston, so lets wait until the deadline to do any more trades.

1 person likes this.
  20. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

EXACTLY, spoken like a man of genius :grin: