1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop this trade speculation stuff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

The problem with that is Yao, Scola, Battier, and Martin will be past their peaks by the time that happens.

Better to use our picks to acquire Melo and go for it NOW.

2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Yes.

It really bit us in the ass with the whole "bosh2houston" debacle.

Made us look desperate and foolish.

3. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Okay, I try to be more like Beat LA and DD.

1 person likes this.
  4. karmapolice119

I agree I'm ready to roll with our current roster. Its the offseason so people will speculate like crazy and honestly I'd love to have landed bosh or carmelo. Special players aren't available all the time so when is, it's smart to look into acquiring them.

As for melo though he is a elite scorer, has shown that he can be a leader and winner, and is a top ten talent. If the offense didn't completely focus around him I think he would be more than willing to improve and play lock down defense. If he is serious about winning, all he has to do is look at mj, kobe, and all the other greats and see you need a firm commitment on both sides of the court.

As with everyone, Im excited to be a complete team with a yao back, martin courtney, cbud and jordan all fitting in better and continue improvements from ab, lowery, and scola.

5. Prince

Prince Member

Agreed. if Yao can play the same play he played before he got injured, this team can win it all. If you think it's not, you should find a doctor to get that tmac disease in your head removed.

6. solid

solid Member

Frankly, there is really no "solid" news, so boundless speculation is getting very stale. I wasn't excited at all about Bosh and have mixed feelings about Melo. No doubt he is a great athlete, but I wonder if he would really fit in here. Plus do we have to gut the team to get him? I would be happy rolling out what we have and see. Testing Yao is especially critical; if he sits down, possibly for good, that changes everything.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Can we please stop settling on mediocrity?

Time to cash in and stop hoarding "assets".

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Actually, as absurd as some of the rumors are, they do make time pass while at the office. So no, let's not stop :grin:

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Why do people think that Aaron Brooks is some sort of veteran that's been starting in the NBA for like 5-7 years??

Why do people on the GARM forget that last year was his first time starting in the NBA FULL TIME??

Nobody knew about Steve Nash until his 5th year. He didnt start tearing it up in the league until about his 6th season!

Steve Nash Career Stats

Aaron Brooks Career Stats

Stop being so quick to judge... the dude's only going into his 2nd full year as a starter!

By the way...If AB doesn't have Ice in his veins.. then does he have Blood in eyes? Either way you look at it... Rockets havent had this kind of clutch play since 04-05 T-Mac.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UaV130DG6Pw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UaV130DG6Pw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5aKHrtpiws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5aKHrtpiws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvsR64GMdNs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvsR64GMdNs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tos_PvTNhlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tos_PvTNhlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bSdhTH8NLQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bSdhTH8NLQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Whether or not you agree with the trade, what the hell is there to discuss at this time of year? Let's see Courtney Lee's number, Shane's karaoke, Yao's foot, Morey's evil genius plan to take over the world, hunting and fishing with Brad Miller, hair styling tips from Luis Scola, celebrity look alikes Part 27: Chris Rock and Aaron Brooks, tag team cage matches with Chuck Hayes and Kyle Lowry, Surf's up starring Chase Budinger.

The offseason is the time for random trade speculation. Once we start playing games, then there are a whole lot more topics to cover. We can actively gauge how good this team is and how they match up against our competitors. But for now, I expect one hearsay sentence reported second-hand from CNNSI to generate over 80,000 page views and scores of threads. This has actually been one of the more entertaining offseasons in quite a while. I want to venture from the Hangout and read GARM for a change.

And for the record, if Yao's foot holds up, this team as currently made up will be scary good.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am anxious to see what this team, as is, can do also. But really and truly folks, does anyone think they can beat LA in 7? And before someone goes off on how we did against them year before last, that would never happen twice with the same mix of players. Simply put, LA didnt take us seriously, they played awful in that 1st game. Then Yao went down. Then Mutombo. LA greatly underestimated our tenacity and team play, and our will. Dont kid yourselves. This would not ever happen again. If we are to beat LA, their is going to be no sneaking up on them. Were going to have to it the old fashioned way and have the superior team. And as we stand, even with Yao at his peak, we are not superior. Competitive, yes. Could it happen? Sure, the better team doesnt always advance. But for those looking for the Rockets to play in the NBA finals, no stone should be left unturned to improve the team. And sometimes, that doesnt give you the chance to choose the timing of it (i.e. lets see what this team as is can do). Im certainly not saying Melo is the best or only answer. Surely it doesnt deserve 50+ pages of speculation. But it certainly deserves some speculation and consideration.

12. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I would agree, I like our team as is if Yao "is" healthy. I will be cheering win or lose. But when you have any chance to get a player such as Melo or Bosh, you go for it.

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

I agree with your post except for the last sentence. Detroit won a championship without a superstar. Our team is very similar if not better than that team.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

We can't contend as is. And, we're not really trying to contend if we keep stockpiling players on rookie contracts. We're not "all-in" until Morey does acquire a star player.

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Member

I'm sorry but we will never stop this trade speculation stuff.......
    that's pretty much the only reason why i go to clutchfans :grin:

i'd rather die(account) then do what you say

[​IMG]

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Besides Detroit, what other team has done it in the last 30 years?

Name one championship team (besides Detroit) in the last 30 years that didn't have a Hall of Famer on the roster.

17. RV6

RV6 Member

Let's stop being ignorant.

"we cant win without a superstar"

PISTONS.

Does that mean we should stop trying to improve the team? No, but let's not act like a well balanced team can't win either. It all comes down to the guys on the team and how they feed off of each other. Simply having a superstar doesnt guarantee anything on it's own. The biggest reason why teams that win usually are centered around one or two guys is because that's simply the model team follow. That changes with time and isn't a fixed formula for winning. Its difficult to build a team that's balanced and deep most of the time because of money issues, both from the team and the players. A lot of things have to lineup perfectly to put together a team like this and also keep it together. In the end, it all comes down to how the team plays regardless of how it is built.

I think the bottom line is acquiring melo with a signed extension is a great move, as long as it's not stripping the team so much that we can't contend. Otherwise we're better off going with what we have.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who is to say the Rockets do not have a hall of famer on their roster RIGHT NOW?

It is easy looking backwards, not so easy looking forwards.

DD

19. dharocks

dharocks Member

Considering that the Pistons are one of two teams in the last like, 50 years to win a title without a superstar (and the '79 Sonics had a Hall of Famer in DJ), I'm not sure that argument gives me a ton of confidence.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Oh, Lord....

What player on this team is currently in his prime and a Hall of Famer?