1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we stop freezing out Jalen Green?!?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Nov 20, 2021.

1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

It was really annoying to see the KPJ and Wood 2 man game, it doesn't look good at all. Too many possessions where KPJ was dribbling the air out the ball. He's too indecisive with what he wants to do then he will pick up his dribble. Then when he does there's like 8 seconds left in the shot clock. With wood, this man doesn't know how to set a screen. It annoys me when he is calling for the ball or looking for the ball after he sets a screen. It just seems like Wood gets majority of his points is when we are down big. The fit isn't it, there's too many selfish guys with huge egos on this team. It's funny when they are not playing, the team's ball movement is so much better (sixers game).
    Yesterday Jalen was making the right read he drove in the lane and saw the help defender then kicked it to the open shooter. I don't understand why it's so hard for KPJ to do that. But it really bugs me when Jalen isn't involved, there's just too many possessions where he is left out. Like how is he suppose to get in a flow. Even though we have no flow in our offense, because KPJ and Wood always try to iso their man.

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I know it goes over your head, but what is true one day may not be true months or years later.... doesn't mean it wasn't true then.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I said that would happen if he didn't improve on the areas he needed to improve on.

I know nuanced takes are beyond your comprehension so I forgive your foolishness.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Greens comps were Beal/booker/Levine. His archetype is 3 level scorer who can get tough buckets. He’s on par with what those guys did their rookie years. I bet he looks a ton better with a true PG next to him that doesn’t have the efficiency of a sub prime WB.

Some things that have been encouraging.
    - super elite first step. Literally haven’t seen one that fast ever.
    -finishing at the rim is the hardest thing for guards to do in the NBA. Go look up Edward’s, lamelo, etc. I’ve missed some games and haven’t looked up recent stats but I’ve seen green get way better at finishing.
    - 3pt shot is way to hot and cold. But when he’s gotten hot. It’s been the this is the best offensive guy on the floor and you can’t do anything about it level.
    - not sure what his ftr rate is but for a rookie when he’s having his good games he gets to the line fairly well. Much better than Cade. To me that’s a mark of a plus offensive creator.

things to improve:
    - has to attack the closeout better. In general his footwork needs cleaning up. Too often he catches and goes in the bag. He needs to catch and make a move.
    - handle and strength are shaky. If he can improve these aspects his finishing game will be more efficient

I honestly wish he’d get run without KPj and wood. Those guys decision making is so ass and they take up so much usage. I’d rather him run with AlP and Jaygup/augustin and see him take more possessions to get those in ball reps. He should for now focus on play finishing and with guys like wood/KPJ he won’t get that opportunity.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not a single word about DEFENSE? Not one? Can't he improve on defense? Or is he only going to play one end of the court like he is now - and that is all he will ever do?

To be clear, I think he is really coming along nicely on offense - and would like to see him commit a little bit more to getting better at defense, as I think he is really bad on D.

DD

BallaDoc likes this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah you’re absolutely right. Wood doesn’t really screen. He usually sets light screen and slips into the paint. This is usually predictable as he gets picked up by his man while KPJ is still guarded and there’s no play on the pick and roll. I’m not sure why KPJ isn’t making the same passes he made last year. It may be that he is making the game too complicated. I think his layups are exemplary of his overthinking where he beats his man but instead of just laying the ball up he has some weird angle or lays it up with two hands etc resulting in a miss at the rim. .548 at the rim is horrific.

BallaDoc and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  7. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

The team as a whole is terrible on defense. There's no help defense or paint protection. Everyone looks lost, there's no communication on defense. Wood just look so soft and clueless out there. Everyone on this team besides Tate, Garry, Nwaba knows how to play D. I know EG can D up but his effort isn't there on that end of the court.

Jalen is only 19 and he is still learning the game. This team has many bad habits and he seems like he is picking some up. There's no such things as a perfect rookies they all have flaws. But Jalen has shown great signs for the future. He looks very promising with his scoring ability and his elite first step. It will be even more dangerous going forward.

We don't have passers that will find him on cuts, maybe sengun but that's really it.

bj3175 and BallaDoc like this.
  8. DaDakota

KPJ seems to contort himself away from contact, and it causes awkward shots, he needs to play through the contact, take it on, and live at the foul line, ala Harden.

DD

Stephen_A, ThatboyPhuong and BallaDoc like this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

lol I’ve honestly given up on this team playing defense. What I will say is a team full of teenagers is never going to be proficient at defense. There are too many nuances to that end to say who is at fault. I’d rather look at our 6 year journey man big or 3rd year point of attack pg who’s getting touted for his defense before starting to judge green. We were surprisingly average to start the year at defense and have cratered since then. Wonder what changed or who’s missing from the rotation to account for that lol.

I’m biased because my honest belief is Id rather my bigs be defensive presences. It’s so much easier to have competent defenses when the backbone is set. Almost every winning team in this league last and present has a back line stud on defense. So id rather get a competent defensive big before truly assessing greens defense. I’m on record of saying early this season that the defense will be ass no matter what. Just try to develop communication, rotations, and focus on offensive efficiency.

to be fair though. He doesn’t rotate well. Doesn’t communicate on the X out. Isn’t putting body on defenders for rebounds. I actually think he’s pretty slithery around screens. He looks like he’d be best defending the point of attack (another reason I doubt the fit with KPJ) and being engaged than being lost off ball like most rookies his age are (this draft year being an exception when you’ve got guys like Mobley , Barnes, Cade, Jalen, Wagner). Hell seasoned veterans like harden, wb, Levine are terrible at off ball defense too.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

He isn't going up strong with his finishes either. But I agree he makes it harder than it really is. KPJ has handles but he doesn't know how to use it properly. It just seems like all flash. Maybe he is just thinking too much instead of letting the game come to him, He always try to force it too much. He hesitate alot with his decision. He really looks uncomfortable out there. Don't get me started with his poor body language when he isn't getting the calls or after a terrible turnover.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I miss Harden’s floaters. There isn’t one player on this roster that has a floater in their game. Maybe Nix? I haven’t seen much of him. Bring back the floater!

12. DaDakota

Sengun has one.....

I would love to see Nix given a real shot.

DD

bj3175 and Roomba like this.
  13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

It's weird because the game against the Celtics we saw Jalen use the floater, then we never saw it again lol

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know when a simple pass into the paint can get an opponent open for the gimme slam dunk.

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes because predicting that a rookie QB wouldn't improve at all is an intelligent take.

If that's the defense you're going with, then that makes you look even more ridiculous.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

don't know if it is freezing out, but I personally want to see Jaylen more involved in pick and roll.

I just dont like KPJ. Nice player but I dont think he fits.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Savage was never the better option than Watson, at any point of Watson's great but short career. Delusional to think so otherwise. There's a reason y he disappeared from the NFL afterwards

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You guys saw that wasted action in this philly game I’ve been talking about? KPJ once again holds the ball then hard dribble then pulls back and doesn’t shoot and goes no where then dumping it on the wing to Wood who holds the ball as well and tries to go one on one resulting in nothing.

19. Convictedstupid

Why are he and KPJ’s minutes not staggered at all? Why wouldn’t you want to get your 2nd overall pick rookie to get some time bringing the ball up initiating the offense? Doesn’t make sense to me.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member