1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we put a fork into the "it's china's fault" and "it's not Tilman's fault" takes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Oct 28, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth
    Pure
    Truth
    Pure
    Truth
    Pure

2. tinman

Supporting Member

He didn't anticipate the China problem. This is what happens when you completely market your team as China's team and not Houston's.
    Also the home crowd is because of the previous regime's pandering to China and Corporate seating.

Tilman has to switch the marketing of the Rockets pronto

Best thing for him to do is tie the Rockets to all his businesses, have Harden do commercials at the Golden Nugget and have Russ eat something at Rainforest cafe

napalm06 likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what's the motivation for the NBA to get involved though, that's the part of the theory that's definitely been squashed ... now that we see NBA is fine with Morey having a very prominent job still.

as for Tilman ... you don't think his disproportiately huge covid losses and increased debt play into cost-shaving measures? That's way way more than China sponsorship here.

napalm06, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trying to understand the cacophony inside Tilly's pea sized brain is a wasted exercise.

His ego is running a once proud and championship contending franchise into the dirt.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That is very likely what it is. But if so, that doesn't mean China forced Morey out with some conspiracy.

6. napalm06

Completely agree. Clearly I didn't word my original post well. I was coming at this from the perspective of people thinking China's nefarious hands were directly in this move.

DreamShook likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Dont let anything distract you from the fact that Tillman is indeed still garbage and his dopey son has his hands in decisions that are above his intelligence level.

D-rock likes this.
  8. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Step 1. Get rid of Morey
    Step 2. Get a Chinese mascot(Hello Jeremy???)
    Step 3. Profit

Ultimate destination= Mediocrity

9. napalm06

Not really, in the context of the OP. Morey left because his relationship with Tilman soured. The China thing was one of multiple reasons but China and its useless communist grandstanding didn't actually push Morey out themselves. That's giving them way too much credit.

The Utah Jazz just sold to a local tech flash in the pan (Ryan Smith, whose Qualtrics was bought by SAP for an unreasonable valuation a few years ago) for $1.6B.

If the Jazz are worth 72% of the Rockets ($1.6B vs $2.2B) in a Market 17% the size (1.2M vs 7.0M), China can't be the only factor.

From this fan's perspective we lost our GM and coach because a self-aggrandizing hick with an over-leveraged fried food empire scraped under his couch cushions to buy his hometown team.

#29 napalm06, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm in no way saying that was the one reason. But I think it played a role in all this for sure. You can bet that the Rockets are trying to work on Chinese deals again.

Roomba, D-rock, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

i know it's one factor but a factor never the less

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

that means it's ok for beijing gamblers to go back to the golden nugget

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm saying Tilman might have been motivated to part ways with Morey to get that China coin back.

14. napalm06

I think that's probably 100% the reason.

I'm taking a break from work and just did some quick research, but I'm using this reply to post it, lol.

Ryan Smith (just bought a majority stake in the Jazz this week) is sitting on that $1.6B liquid. In 2018 his Qualtrics was purchased by SAP for $8B. I can't find data on his share but as a founder I do know his family was sitting on a pretty majority of it. I live in the SLC area and they are a fixture at Jazz games.

Now... If we look at Landry's last available financial statements (here's one from 2010: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/908652/000119312511068593/d10k.htm)

• The balance sheet shows a working capital deficit.
    • $1.2B in long term debt against $1.7B of assets (we're talking buildings, real estate, not liquid.) Very highly leveraged, even then.
    • Of the $1.7B in assets on Landry's balance sheet - $131M (7%) is liquid (current). (Fairly common... for the restaurant industry)
    • Tilman was taking a salary of $1.5M; $2.2M total compensation.

Yes this was 2010, apply some growth rate, whatever - it can't be better than this during the Covid days. In 2010, these players were making $2.2M: Terrence Williams. Jared Dudley. Brent Barry. Shannon Brown.

He's sitting here watching Russell Westbrook make $40M/year.

Dude is a G-League call-up as far as his social circle (NBA Owners) goes, and his awkward spin-doctor public persona combined with beggarly decision making is really something.

That's why Morey left.

And right after Tilman sort of dragged a veteran, affable, highly-respected coach (D'Antoni) through the mud and made age-ist allegations during what could've been a closed doors negotiation. Sleaze I tell you!

#34 napalm06, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I always said letting Morey go was stupid. It was clearly proven as before his final day as Rockets GM has finished news broke out that he will get hired by the Sixers before the weekend is over. Thanks Fertits.

Also, F the CCP, free Hong Kong!

tycoonchip, D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

By firing Morey does all the China money come flowing back in or was the bridge burnt and will have to be rebuilt from scratch? If it's the latter then firing Morey out of spite seems like going from bad a bad situation to a worse one.

17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Morey wants to have freedom of speech. Tilman just wants to save money.

18. hakeemthagreat

I'm glad Morey's gone, we'll be better & a more complete basketball team without him

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

#1 Reason: Morey was done with Tilman
    #2: Morey was going to move on eventually
    #3: Tilman finances/COVID/team completely leveraged with Westbrook.

With China and Tilmans finances, it was mutually beneficial for both sides to end the contract and there was no real upside for either side for Morey to stay.

Tilman Wins
    Morey Wins
    Fans lose.

D-rock likes this.
  20. napalm06

I might agree, except.. Tilman. Morey built 2 championship teams.

D-rock likes this.