1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we have a serious discussion about Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jVgOwnsYou, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

GARM,

I understand the unproductive nature of most JLin threads but I would like just once for true Rockets fans to have a serious discussion about this player.

I have been a huge fan of this team for years, but simply can not get behind the idea of Jeremy Lin being a part of this team's future, especially after his showing during the playoffs. He was absolutely horrendous in game 1, we played better when he was out in game 2, and tonight(I was at the game) he played SCARED. I don't know the extend of his injury, but his minutes cost us big tonight. Our 8 million dollar PG brought absolutely nothing to the table, and got benched for a journeyman who nearly brought the team all the way back. It's easy to point the finger at Harden for his failures at the end of the game, but if we had a PG who was actually worth 8 million $, maybe we could have gotten into our offense instead of asking our 2 and 3 man to initiate.

Admittedly, I am bitter over this loss, but feel like it's time to come to terms with this GARM. Jeremy Lin IS NOT a starting PG on a contending team, and I really feel like we need to move on from him, but how? Start Beverly next season? Go after another PG? Or are we really just stuck with him as our starter for the next two years?

2 people like this.
  2. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Really? If 25 games of linsanity is too small of a sample size, 2.5 games of linsuckity is enough to dump him?

If you want better production from the PG, it will cost more than $8m.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you are talking about the playoffs, SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. Everybody played scared in Game1. Lin played decent in Game 2 until he got hurt. He shouldn't have played tonight because he was clearly not able to function well with the injury.

There. That's his playoffs career. Let's start judging him from that.

1 person likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Lin should not be playing in his current state. We know that Lin playing tentatively does not help the team, and how else could he play if he's in constant pain?

When healthy, Lin has shown himself to be a solid, if generally unspectacular, starting PG. He can absolutely be an important piece of a championship team. Its unfair to judge him based on his output in this series.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

By "his showing in the playoffs", then, you mean "his first playoff game ever, plus two injury-ridden clusterf***s"? Too small of a sample size and too riddled with odd circumstances to extrapolate his worth to the team.

How about using the 82 game season we just saw? That tells ME at least that he's a mediocre to average starter, but is also 24 years old and capable of improving (just look at the in-season improvements in his three-point shot).

No doubt, if you're the architect of this team PG is the second weakest position and if Chris Paul is walking through that door you take him. But Lin did fine this year.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

should have never let Dragic go

3 people like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

lulz

No, we can't have a serious discussion about Jeremy Lin.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Sigh. OP says we should have a serious discussion about a player & then uses a 60 minutes sample of a 24 year old players first experience in the post season as a basis for saying he isn't a starting PG for a contending team. Laughable.

1 person likes this.
  9. figment

figment Member

Just take an arrow in your knee and go.

10. conquistador#11

you would see israel and palestine playing endless games of soccer friendlies before your suggestion of having a "serious" discussion.

11. jVgOwnsYou

The 2.5 biggest games in the last 4 years tells me a lot more about him as a player than his 25 game Linsanity run which honestly was not that impressive to begin with. Too many turnovers, and really bad performances against good competition.

12. coffeelover665

I feel the only time we can seriously make this call is after next year's playoff run

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't know what to say about the Lin's situation. I don't know if injury have any effect on him or whether because we're way behind that they need to try some other players. Really, i can't gauge the matter cuz i don't know. And i don't think you know.

I do know this: When healthy, Lin is one of the driving force and run this offense by pushing the ball harder than anyone beside Harden.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I've been a die hard Rockets fan since 1991 and i say, GIVE THE KID A BREAK. We can discuss this after atleast 2 to 3 years.

15. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Biggest games for who? We know he doesn't play for you.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

All this thread needs to be even more hilarious is the OP citing +/- as evidence or making a graph like JCDenton.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Yes I hate him as a plkauer please Daryl Get rid of him in the offseason on a Snt

18. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

You're either willing to invest some time into developing a young, raw player with some good upside and be patient doing so or you're not and therefore if Les or Morey is the latter they SHOULD trade him to a franchise that is willing to do the former.

19. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

And to add to my post above I've never thought the coaching staff is willing to invest the time and energy into developing Lin just like I didn't think Woodson's coaching staff was willing to either.

20. jVgOwnsYou

Ok so are you suggesting we ignore what is easily the most important 60 minutes of his career? I mean he has been awful. I was at the game tonight and freaking D fisher was locking him up on an island. This can not happen. Am I supposed to expect nothing from him because he is young?