1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can we do with Budinger like we did with Greene?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsMAN!, Jul 17, 2009.

1. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Follow me on this one. The main difference here is the draft pick number. Donte Greene was picked in the 1st, and got a guaranteed contract. We netted Ron Artest with that pick.

In the case of Chase, when we sign him to his contract, is it possible to package him in a deal that gets us another veteran? Please discuss.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, I believe that is possible.

3. mob16151

mob16151 Member

Possible yes Likely no IMO ...Dorsey will be trade bait before Budinger but thats just my personal opinion.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would love them to do something with Budinger like they did with Greene but I think I am in the minority...Since Portland is desperate and I dont think there getting Odom I'd ring at Pitchard's door and say lets make a deal.
    Starts discussions there and see what happens but like I said I think il be in the Minority.

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

We're in a different situation now than a year ago. Last year we were a contender and did whatever we could to improve the team.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed.

7. ThaShark316_28

Exactly. Now we are more into a rebuilding mode. Well, not quite, but yeah.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Veteran? Definitely

Young player? Only with the Grizzlies.

9. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

If the situation present itself then I believe the Rockets would trade in order to improve the team for the future. It could also be possible that the player the Rockets get in the trade could propel the team back into the contender status. Anything is possible.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the real question is, do we want to?

chase might turn out to be a real steal as a pro. donte's greatest accomplishment might end up being that 40 point summer league game.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I believe that it can not be done. We coped Artest, no pun intended, so easily and for so little simply because of all the question marks surrounding him. No other teams were willing to take a big risk on such a player.

It also helped make the package light due to the fact that he had one year left on his contact.

So it could be done but for who?

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i really doubt people are lining up to deal for chase budinger at the moment. plus, what good will a veteran do for us this year?

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

If Chris Paul thinks he could get traded, then anyone could get traded.

14. dragonz

dragonz Member

Suppose we could, what would you do? trade for a veteran while the whole team is in a rebuilding (or partial rebuilding) mode? trade for a young player with theoretical upside of talent?
    The fact is, it is unwise for Rockets to add any bit weight on cap space before the summer of 2010. It's like settle for some hotdogs right before you about to get in a Italian buffet.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I know this guy wont be popular with alot of people but I really think he would be a very nice addition BUT he has a long contract with a hefty bump in salary coming.

Stephen Jackson

I know the Warriors want to play there young guys and he could be had for the right price. If only Yao hadn't gone down I think he could have fit in nicely. Those last few years are killer and with the direction the team is going
    now I doubt this is even possible.

Salary:
    09-10
    10-11
    12-13
    13-14

16. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Agreed, didnt Donte drop like 40 something in his first summer league game? Budinger isn't a noticeable player like Donte (Athleticism wise). Personally I think if Budinger were not white he would have more of a chance in the NBA. its not too often that a decent white player is talked about. I can only think of a few that are, Mike Miller, and Kirk Hinrich. There aren't anymore Larry Birds or Pistol Pete's

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i actually want to keep budinger. if we did trade him, 5 years from now we could be thinking, wow i wish we wouldve kept budinger.

he's 6'7 and a great shooter off curls like rip hamilton. didn't this entire board want rip hamilton just last season? we dont need a veteran if this guy is already playing like a polished vet. what better type of player to pair next to Yao than a 6'7 shooter with decent athlecism?

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I hope not!!!!!! :p

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Until an offer that is too good to pass comes then keep Chase and hope for the best.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He would been great, key word woulda, with Yao on the floor as you stated. And because of that right there his contract and age (not now but when he hits his 30's) it wouldn't be worth it.