1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we afford Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Mar 17, 2005.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Well, if he thinks Mobley is a cancer then I can't help him. :D

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

mobley would just mess this team up with his ego. he'd come back with something to prove.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Emjohn, if you were faced with 1) losing a player with some market value with no compensation, or 2) carrying 1 year of like 6-7 mil expiring contracts + late 1st rounder (ours) + early 2nd round pick (NY) what would you do?

SAR is not the ideal type but he is mid-career (28), efficient, and productive. JH is 32 so you expect his minutes to begin decreasing. We can try to sign DM for the MLE, but he will be 32 soon as well. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a 4-5 year contract with SAR.

I really don't think we need to take a bad contract (DA) to make this deal, especially not giving up 2 middle picks (late 1st/early 2nd) and taking on such a contract.

I think you could do a S&T with Spoon (about 6 mil expiring next year) + 1st + 2nd for SAR signed starting at 7 mil for 6 years. Make that last year a team option and it is 5/44 committed--pretty fair for all parties. Portland has little leverage because a full MLE (6/37mil) is not so far under SAR's market (plus he already is a rich man coming off a 70 mil contract) that he could not convince them he will just walk if they don't cooperate.

Like I said day one of this offseason let SAR he is the guy we want, and let Portland and his agent know a full MLE is immeditely on the table. Portland, SAR, and SAR's agent can decide what to do next--this might be Portland last chance to get ANY compensation for him.

#43 Desert Scar, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the fact that you consider a player who is a good defender, really good 3 point shooter, and someone who adapted to VG's system last year a cancer speaks volumes about your basketball knowledge.

care to back up your accusation?

give us one instance where it can clearly be seen that Mobley was a cancer...and Ill gladly admit to being wrong....

but I doubt you will..

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

They lose Redd they'll go after Alln or another Primere SG. why replace a SG with a PF. considering they allready have a solid one in Gooden allready?