1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we afford Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Mar 17, 2005.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if he knows its his last real contract then why not go to a winner. he has never in nine years made the playoffs. his first two contracts were as high paying as anyone can get. he got top rookie salary, then a max deal. i don't think he is looking for a big contract anymore. on top of that i don't see anyone giving him one.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'm not talking about a max of course, but i'm sure at least one play off calibur team will offer him more than the mid-level. i just think that's too cheap for him. just being realistic. if we could get him for the midlevel that would be a crime we should gladly commit.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see your point. however, i don't believe that a playoff team will have the capspace to give him more. if they did have the capspace then i don't see them going after a guy who has been in the league so long. the only way for him to go to a winning team for more that the MLE is S&T. if you want to go that route the rockets have baker and spoons enging contracts to offer in S&T. that amount should pay SAR more than any other team would and offer the blazers two guys that won't take up the capspace they are looking foward too.

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

why would the blazers want out expiring contracts? they suck. they'd just let SAR walk, right? doesn't make sense why they'd do a S&T with us. i think they'd do it with someone else.

5. zhd80132

zhd80132 Member

I just don't like the idea signing a 30+ years old guy with 8m+/y pay check and only let him do a 5m/y's job.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else find this board to be one big broken record?

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Shareef doesn't compensate for Howard's weaknesses enough.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What we should do is lay out a max MLE (6/40something) for SAR day 1 of the offseason to let SAR and Portland know we are serious. But in reality a S&T starting at like 7-8 mil is more likely. Expiring contracts (starting with Spoon), a 1st rounder, and the NY 2nd should get it done. Win for Portland, win for Houston, win for SAR.

I think the teams with capspace will aim younger than SAR and DM, but when it is all said and done I can't see the MLE landing SAR. Team like us w/o capspace will have an interest in trading for him at a higher salary and working through Portland. Portland, in close to complete rebuiding mode, will think of themselves and move him for compensation.

#28 Desert Scar, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Portland's managment would find ANY value in S&T SAR for expiring contracts, especially when you're talking about all-IL guys like Spoon, Baker, and Mooch. Name me a S&T in the past 5 years that featured this.

It makes no sense whatsoever. Our #1 pick will be marginal at best, and wouldn't make it worth doing.

Evan

10. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Wouldnt expiring contracts give them some cap space in a year to go and sign free agents. Additonally even though our pick will be in the mid to late 20s, its still a first round pick and has some value. Dont forget they drafted Randolph late in the first round and that has turned into maybe the steal of the draft.

I would still rather go after Swift or Chandler and hope we can some how get one of them. SAR would be ok if we couldnt get one of those guys.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If we coughed up some #1 draft picks they'd do it.

Then there is the problem of BYC, so a third team would probably be needed, and so a sizeable trade. And I only see that if Portland manages to trade A-Hole #1 (Darius Miles) or A-Hole #2 (Zach Randolph) to a team like Atlanta that could use long-term contracts and can give up its own #1 pick (I think).

SAR would probably get a contract averaging $7-8 million. That's the market.

12. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I think Shareef would consider mid-level exceptions from contenders, but if we sign him, we have to get rid of Howard. They play similar games and IMO Shareef isn't that much of an upgrade over JHo.

I would rather have Kurt Thomas or someone with similar skills (rebounding, defense, ability to play center), but so would many other teams also so we'll see...

So sign Shareef and trade JHo + 1st rounder (+ whatever cap fillers to make it work) for Kurt Thomas. Would Isiah bite?

(I really don't want to see Juwan go because I think he deserves a chance to win a ring with us but I guess it would be wise to do that trade :( )

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a similar model to the Jamal Crawford deal last summer.

Here was the full Crawford deal...
    Signed-and-traded by Chicago, with Jerome Williams, to New York for Othella Harrington, Frank Williams, Dikembe Mutombo and Cezary Trybanski.

Trybanski was cut immediately. Williams has ridden the bench, Mutombo never wanted to play for the Bulls and was traded for Piatkowski- dissapointing bench player for dissapointing bench player. Harrington was not expected to play much of a role on a team with Chandler/Curry/Davis. All were expiring contracts, and they got rid of JYD's contract.

I guess that makes the question- would you take Anderson or Patterson (2 years left each) off their hands for SAR? If that expiring contract belonged to David Wesley? Tough call. But filling the PF void without adding to next year's team salary might be tough to tutn down.

PS to ROXTXIA- SAR would not be a BYC player.

14. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

What about Tyson Chandler? Averages 7 points, 9 rebounds, and 24 minutes a game. That's 16 rebounds per 48 minutes, 4th in the NBA behind Wallace, Garnett, and Duncan.

How much money will he get this offseason?

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shareef=sucks.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Trade Wesley, Spoon, and Baker plus a 1st and a 2nd for SAR at 7-8 mil and a contract (Anderson or Patterson). Sign Cat for the full MLE to take the place of Wesley. We upgrade at 2 positions and get younger.

17. zhd80132

zhd80132 Member

nooooo, don't want to see that cancer in rox uni any more.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I've never wanted Abdur-Rahim on the Rockets. It has nothing to do with numbers. The perfect PF next to Yao does what Van Gundy asked Howard to do early in the current season...play defense and rebound. That's not what SAR brings to the table.

If there were a way to establish a wager, my money would be on SAR being way down the list of Rox priorities. The management that gave us Sura, Mutombo, Bowen, Wesley, & Barry ain't given us Shareef. And I'm glad of that.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

What cancer?

SAR certainly brings rebounding to the table. While he is a mediocre defender, he can do anything on defense that Howard does. He is also a better shooter with more range. If the perfect power forward next to Yao does what Van Gundy was getting out of Howard, then SAR is the perfect PF next to Yao.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think he is talking about mobley.