1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Watt win DPOY this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its a hype award... in every sport. Realistically, Rodgers won the MVP around week 8, and merely had to "not screw it up" enough to lose it.

There have been much better QB seasons than what Rodgers has had this year. People who buy into the "QB is everything" hype is part of the problem.

On the contrary, what Watt is doing is close to unprecedented... and that will eventually be reflected in the annals of "all-time great football players". And like you said, more seasons like this from Watt will keep him in the conversation, and eventually get him the "hype".

2. conquistador#11

not taking anything away from rodgers but if you don't think mike mcarthy has anything to do with his success then you haven't been watching the national arena league.

nick foles had not five, not four, not three but two ints with 27tds in 13 games. a system is that important to a qb. i bet matt flynn could get that team 11 wins only on the packers.

I would rather see the mvp go to mike mccarthy

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just seen post game, AJ said if JJ doesnt win MVP the NFL is out of their mind. Glad he put it out there and surprised ESPN showed it.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Hope this is sarcasm otherwise you're out of your mind with this comment lol.

Watt deserves MVP moreso than Rodgers and I've watched every single game of both teams this year. I love Rodgers and he has been incredible this year but honestly, this year is kind of the norm for him. He's kinda like LeBron in that regard.

I hope Watt gets it but I feel like falling short of the playoffs will ultimately doom him.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Not to take anything from Justin Houston, but this better be a unanimous vote of Watt...Houston had a great season individually, but I cant believe that we may actually have a chance to see arguably the greatest Dlineman to ever lace up...and Im just thrilled to know that this man will always continue to fight every day for us. That huge hug that Andre Johnson and JJ Watt shared was iconic...an image that should last in the mind of countless Texans fans. Andre has officially passed the torch to JJ, who know hold the keys to this city. The mantel of responsibility for this team is now with JJ. This 2014 football team should be very proud of what they accomplished on the field. It does suck that we couldve had control of our own destiny if we found a way to win one of the many close games we had this season. Going from 2 wins to 9 is amazing in it self...but this city and our fans have to believe that this coaching staff is on the right direction. Bill OBrien is the right guy for this job...I just hope that we can find a good young QB (perhaps Mallet, perhaps Savage, or some other QB down the line). Congrats on a great season... Hoping JJ could find a way to hoist that MVP trophy along side Rodgers...that would be nice(but I wont get my hopes up). GO TEXANS!!!

6. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

That fake injury was about as bad as Paul P. Injury in the finals 08... seems that Rodgers needed to play his ACE since wyatt had a killer game.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

That Watt and Andre hug had me in my feels man

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

and eff Rodgers and that fake as$$ injury. Shame he's going to win it.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

You can't on one hand and say QB is the most valuable position to justify MVP as a QB, then at the same time hold a 9-7 record against Watt when we had terrible QBs. Switch Rodgers with the next three or four best QBs and the Packers have the same record. Switch Watt with the next best defender and we're 5-11 at best.

As for the guys in dallas, if you have two MVP candidates, you don't have an MVP candidate.

It kills me when people try to argue against JJ when their points actually help his case.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The argument should solely be who had the better season. Is Rodgers setting benchmarks for his position that have never been met before? No. Is Watt? Yes.

Rodgers only leads the NFL in one stat. TD/INT ratio. Only that one. He doesn't have the most yards, or the most TDs. Doesn't even have the best passer rating. He doesn't even lead ESPNs made up QBR rankings. Is he phenomenal? Yes, Is he playing as the best ever QB? Not even close.

Watt on the other hand is on his way to becoming the best defensive player in NFL history. 2nd in the league in Sacks, 1st in QB hits and hurries, 1st in D-lineman in Passes Defended.

Amongst all these accolades; http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/105095964/jj-watts-stats-and-charisma-are-enough-for-the-mvp

There really isn't an argument for any other person to be the MVP other than Watt. If he doesn't get it, the award is a complete joke.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

12. Classic

Classic Member

Part of me wonders if the media is just trolling with these A-Rod for MVP talk. GTFO here with that non-sense.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Here is a nice article by Bill Barnwell from Grantland on the MVP race... I liked this part

14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

This. So much this. Repped.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

People who say "just accept the reality that this is a QB league" are the one's with the weakest arguments.

"Just accept that I'm the bomb" doesn't imply that I should have sex with your girlfriend.

16. Mattician

Mattician Member

I think if the Texans would have made the playoffs one of the quarterbacks would still win MVP.

Defensive players have to settle for the DPOY award and it's unfortunate.

Quarterbacks need their own award and/or there should be an award for best overall player.

17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not a texans fan but if i had a vote, its JJ Watt for nfl mvp
    Dont really care that his team missed the playoffs and are not that good.

On the same note, I definitely also have ADavis for NBA MVP ahead of Curry & Harden for now.
    Dont really care that his team is currently out of the playoffs and not that good.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

He'll get votes but I don't think he'll win. I know i'm in the minority on this board, but I don't think he should win it either. Rodgers played against some really good teams with really good defenses. Their running game is better but it is still less than average. It's unfortunate but the QB has the ball in his hands for almost all the offensive plays. There are maybe three games that you can argue Watt won by himself but that is less than half than you can say Rodgers won. Even Romo had a few games he won by himself. Right now, no one is better at his position than Watt is. No argument there. But that's not what the MVP is about.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Its the media who drives the whole thing, I can almost guarantee that if espn went all in on Watt that he would win in a landslide.

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Not to sound patronizing, but if you watch the game, JJ is a factor on almost every play. I get the QB touches the ball, but we're going to ignor e the 20 or so plays for the RB? What about those less than 5yd passes? Texans led the league in takeaways. On damn near every one, Watt forced a bad throw or moved the pocket for others to make plays. Somehow it's gotten acceptable to believe one guy on offense is all a team needs. Where would dallas be without their O-Line for example?