1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Texans afford to fire Lovie?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 20, 2022.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This seems premeditated. Not mad at it though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Gannon HC
    Brian Johnson OC please
    Bryce QB

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not one bit

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s going to be either Demeco or Gannon

red5rocket likes this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

&& I love it

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sure this has been said but I’m not sure they can afford to keep Lovie.

I think there will be wholesale changes to the offensive coaching staff. So the question is whether it’s smart to hand out new multi-year deals to new assistants knowing very well it could all be blown up the next year. Guess the other question is what worthwhile OC is gonna jump hitch himself to Lovie.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Gannon will bring Brian Johnson with him as OC

red5rocket likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Is that good or bad?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Amazing.

Brian Johnson would be an incredible hire

And he’s from Texas went to Robert E Lee in Baytown

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I feel like Brian Johnson on staff could be problematic with his reputation as a screamer. Is that really what a young team needs? Also what if he has issues hearing instructions from the head coach on the headset - are we sure his hearing issues are behind him? Would he insist on bringing Phil Rudd with him? Dude has serious legal issues hounding him in Australia and I’m not sure Cal would be cool with that, even with Easterby out of the picture. Even if none of those are concerns, I still think we’d constantly have to worry about him potentially undermining the goals of the org in favor of his own ambitions while he continues to try to get out from under Bon’s shadow once and for all.

Rudyc281 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Kudos, much better than the post I was about to make.

TheFreak likes this.
  13. a time to chill

Hiring two one and done coaches is an embarrassment that no GM should be able to survive.

TexasRedd, JayGoogle and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

For the 1000th time Culley and Lovie were not Caserio hired

15. a time to chill

This is just a convenient lie Texans fans tell themselves.

Let me bring some facts. Here are some articles from "The General" John McClain on how the coaching hiring process went for both. On a side note, reading back through these articles - especially the one for Lovie - it is shameful for McClain to call for Smith to be fired while advocating that Caserio gets a third chance. Let me be clear, I'm down for cleaning house - new GM and a new coach. But the argument that Smith should be fired while Caserio gets a third chance to screw things up is complete rubbish.

McClain: Inside the Texans’ process to hire David Culley [Jan 30, 2021]
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...nside-the-Texans-process-to-hire-15910803.php

Some key excerpts:

Culley entered the coaching candidate pool from Caserio's initial list of candidates

Caserio had the power to recommend who should be hired.

McClain: Why the Texans turned to Lovie Smith, not Josh McCown, as head coach [Feb 8, 2022]

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ns-turned-to-Lovie-Smith-as-head-16839166.php

It was confirmed by John McClain that Caserio has written in his contract that he gets the final say in coaching hires.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You quoted John “ Pancakes “ McClain of all people I’m done

17. a time to chill

I don't like McClain either, but he does have an "inside scoop." He has favorites within the organization that he treats with kid gloves so he can get access to write stories like this. He probably sent those articles to Caserio and the McNairs to review and edit before he published them in the Chronicle.

What you're reading is the Texans' official story on how the hirings were made. In both accounts, Caserio was in charge of the process, so I don't understand why people want to believe Caserio was innocent throughout the whole process when hiring the coach is in his job description and contract. If Culley and Smith was forced down his throat he could've objected, instead he co-signed it. Look at what happened between Jim Crane and James Click. They had differences and Click had to move on. If Caserio was that in demand, he would've done the same. Why come to an organization where you have no real power when he could've gone elsewhere?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A couple of weeks ago someone asked you what your source is for saying these were all Cal hires and you just replied:

So in other words, no source. You just believe that Caserio wouldn't make those hires. I'll take McClain's reporting over a random hunch.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If Caserio gets to make a 3rd hire will you and everybody else agree that he didn’t hire the previous 2 HCs??

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Honest questions:

Why would we not hire Gannon last year when we had a chance?

Is that a sign of Caserio gaining more control of the old fans (wives) tale is true?

Also, I get wanting Gannon or Ryans, but wouldn't we want an offensive guy?

Rudyc281 likes this.