1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the team win a championship without T-Mac?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redwhiteone, Jan 9, 2009.

1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

With all the frustrations and bashing about his recent "style" of play, I cannot blame the haters for their comments about my favorite player. I still believe that he can pull himself together and gel with the team to rule the playoffs and then...the championship. But then again, I have respect for the people that think T-Mac is the black hole of the team. I cannot deny his luckluster play as of late and I still believe that he is injured but then again, why force yourself to play?

It's difficult if you're the best player on the team and you're struggling.

Please do not post comments here based only on his performance as of late. Consider his abilities and everything that he has done for the franchise. Include also the fact the he has never been out of the first round of the playoffs, to be fair to everyone.

I still believe in T-Mac and on what he can do for the team. His abilities are not to be ignored because when he plays in full force, he cannot be stopped. I just really hope that he heals completely first before playing all the way. As I have said again and again, the team needs him for them to win the illustrious championship. I still support him and I still hope the entire team does as well 100%. But then again, for discussion purposes, I and the others as well may be disputed.

Don't turn into bashing mode on this thread. Keep a cool head and post something logical for us to agree/disagree with comment(s).

This thread about a championship maybe to early but it's better to be prepared when the time comes.

I now turn over the floor to the clutchfans community. Have a nice day everyone :) .

2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

One word answer....No.

3. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Two words question.....Why not?

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No if there is not a roster move

Maybe if they were to get great value in return for him via a trade (not going to happen)

5. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Uhh....talking about championships already? Let's get outta the first round first.

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It's not just a healthy T-Mac. T-Mac has got to play the offense. He's got to be on the same page as the rest of the Rockets. That means cutting hard without the ball. That means passing the ball, keeping it moving.

Sadly I don't think T-Mac can break his old habits. His knee might heal but he can't play basketball the way he thinks it should be played on this team, with this coach and this system. And one guy refusing to play the motion offense will throw the whole thing into the crapper. We've seen the results--in Philly and Toronto. What's even more dangerous is that his dissatisfaction might be poisoning the atmosphere in the locker room.

At this point I don't think the Rockets can win a championship with McGrady. I'm not even sure they can get past the first round.

7. sunsnow

sunsnow Member

8. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

We can let somebody else take tmac's place well. tmac is not the only answer to Rockets..

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No, unless we get something back for McGrady.

Though even though if we can get equal value back from McGrady, you have to consider the breakdown of chemistry, making this team just as good in a short period of time etc.

Basically, no matter what people say, It's best if we stick with McGrady this season. We're not going to get the best of his value this season, nor are we better off winning if we DO trade him for good value.

Artest could leave next year, so many things could happen next year. This year is the only year we got. So might as well hope McGrady comes back like he did last season.

10. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

no, t-mac means too much for our offense.

without him, more or less we are stuck with yao-offense, which is dumping the ball to him most of time and have some pick and roll with him and rafer/brooks (average finishers, shooter and passer).

with t-mac, our offense is much much more dynamic, we can post him up, drive him, having him running through picks to get easy jumpshots, he is also an amazing passer and a very high bball IQ player. Our offense runs amazingly if t-mac plays well. Every one especially yao gets a lot of easy baskets feeding off t-mac.

11. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

no we cannot win the championship without t-mac. It's because he's the only one on the team that can create a "decent" shot for himself even if he gets double team. If he really can't do the motion offense. Why don't we start him as a point and let him decide whatever he wants to do with the ball and start AB0 at the sg or even BB. That way the motion offense can evolve around him.

12. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

three word answer

Do you watch?

13. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

IMHO this team cannot win a championship with or without tmac

Legitimate, scoring PG, SG and a tall backup C is needed for a serious run.

14. i3artow i3aller

Our Rockets, as currently constructed, could not win a championship without McGrady. With that being said they could also not win a championship with him playing as he is now. This to be the main source of so much frustration. It's difficult because McGrady has a very unique ability to make his teammates much better than they are. His game is so advanced that he can intuitively dissect opposing teams thoughout the course of a game. He is able to do this because his individual offensive game, his passing and his basketball IQ are all off the charts. The team and management knows all of this, and it is a big reason why he is still with us. The other part being that we would never get anything resembling equal value for him, and that may very well end up being our saving grace in the matter.

Another very real concern, which now once again looms its ugly head, is his seemingly fragile psyche. T-Mac, being an introvert, is prone to getting entirely too down on himself. He'll clam up, crawl into his shell, and literally torture himself for not being more. Now I know that may seem alarming, but McGrady has always responded to this by digging deep down within his very being and screaming out "NO, NO MORE! I will not stand for it any longer!" It's quite literally as if he has to beat himself down, and tear himself apart, before he is able to build himself anew. Noone can be sure what exactly he must tap into. Perhaps losing so many of his closest friends and family members has left him feeling alone in this world(He has lost at least one loved one each year he has been in the league). We only see the brilliant basketball player who makes 20 million dollars, drives fancy cars, and lives in lavish mansions. It must be nearly impossible to lie awake at night knowing you were so blessed, while everyone closest to you has been so cursed. Asking why them? Why not me? Why was I meant to live this extraordinary life? Whatever goes on in his head and in his heart, he has always responded by elevating his game when needed most. Not once has he shied away from a big game. Never before has he had this kind of talent surrounding him. He knows this better than anyone on this board could ever know. This is it for Tracy McGrady. His finest hour awaits. Doesn't it make you feel the least bit confident knowing that he has always been there when it mattered the most?

I know I may have strayed from your original question, but I think this board needs to know that when we reach the playoffs McGrady will not allow himself to be the reason we lose. Not this year. Not ever. You can tell by the way he plays in those games. He does not play like a man seeking individual glory. It's almost as if the postseason is his way of giving back to all of those he has lost along the way. A special tribute to the loved ones he can no longer spend time with. Say what you want about the man, but Tracy brings it in the postseason. Only this year he has the team that can go with him.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

As i said before, as long as we have Artest Yao and Battier in the lineup, we don't need Tmac to win Championship. The reason being that Artest and Yao can command double team more effectively than Tmac does. Team can't double Tmac anyway because he played outside and shoot anytime he want. When Tmac pass most of the time it is because he wants to pass, not because he was being doubled. And Tmac is not an automatic basket guy anymore...and his defense is pretty weak. So i rather have Shane Battier taking over Tmac position and let Yao and Artest be the go-2-guys.

16. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Four words question......What did you watch?

17. lalala902102001

Absolutely not.

We need a healthy TMac, or we need someone who can replace him (which is nearly impossible).

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A Championship would be very remote or next to impossible. But if everyone else on team were healthy, they'd have an excellent shot at getting into the second round without him.

#18 GATER, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I don't think it's even worth discussing. What is happening is fans have run out of patience and management and the player are doing the wrong thing.

He needs to just come back after the All-star break and let the current team gel. Sure enough he will fit right in great players know how to insert themselves easier.

I want him healthy entering the end, not just on the court for ticket sales.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Nay.