1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets win with this team next year bringing almost everyone back plus a new coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 31, 2015.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Cool and right there with you....

I like JB... Just feel as if he was put in a no win situation....

T_Man

2. houtown

houtown Member

Let's possibly blame the player who has been possibly bailing out the coaching staff from day one as a Houston Rocket, rather than the coaching staff who has possibly failed him day after day in this league. Harden is not perfect, but he is capable player who can close games.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If this new coach can get Lawson to play like he did in Denver then yes, absolutely.

We do need a few tweaks (get rid of Brewer).

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We ****ed up by not firing McFail after the Portland humiliation and hiring Kerr

As they say the rest is history

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, not unless houston replaced its team w/ players that gave a ****. Or you meant Durant secretly was a player coach and signed w/ the Rockets... You could have the ****ing dream team of coaches w/ this group and w/o additional pieces as well (a floor leader/harden is interested again) it's a first round exit (unless a fluke like last year happens and you manage to save Spurs/GSWs for the WCFs). I'm not saying it's impossible though... Maybe all of the other teams players retire at the same time.. Lol

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That would require competent ownership/gm that let's the coach do their job.. Or a time machine, but hey if we had that.... Then the Rockets probably could draft better too.

Lol, Kerr wouldn't come here anyway, especially if Morey said.... "you'll have the title of coach, but... I get to be the puppet master". Kerr would have said "**** off"

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Really, the guy that rather calls his own plays and doesn't listen to the coachigng staff, while not winning sh** didn't fail the staff?

The guy who wants a playmaker next to him, then gets an all-star playmaker and tells him to play off the ball while he continues to do the same crap that resulted in a historically bad 13 TO elimination game?

It's on the staff? No, it's on him.

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

12TO *

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol that part is true. I recall a thread here 1 year ago.

Harden wants a second playmaker.

10. Drogba

Drogba Member

Exactly. This team is a Finals lock with a true superstar. We already have the proper coaching staff and roster in place. Just need a real leader.

He's the sole reason alone we're a sub .500 team.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I still think the coaching staff is pretty bad and should be replaced (no real system, extremely questionable rotations, bad timeouts, etc.), but that doesn't excuse what Harden does and he is the one letting people in the organization down.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thx for the biggest laugh of 2016 thus far

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is what they call Huehnerstall in German. lol

headless chicken running around

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Funny and sad at the same time. :(

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

The reason they won't get a new coach now, and the reason JB is officially an interim coach is because the Rockets will be going after Durant in the offseason. The Rockets are going to offer Harden and Durant an opportunity to name their own coach. Les and Morey aren't going to lock themselves into a new coach at this point.

So, while many of us would like to see a coaching change now. It's not going to happen. Les and Morey have basically written this year off, and are now just waiting until the end of the season to rebuild the team with a new coach, and new players. I suppose it's possible some players could be traded during the season if Morey shifts into asset gathering mode, but a new coach will not happen until after the season. Just my opinion of course.

16. dmoneybangbang

I don't think the Harden/Howard pairing needs to be broken up, but I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Harden and someone else.

The Warriors made it to first and second round under Jackson, I'd say they were more than decent. I think Kerr is a good coach, but he inherited a team with exceptional, versatile talent, and a selfish budding superstar at the time in Curry. I think Kerr would have been a good coach for the Rockets but I wouldn't assume he'd the same success in his first year.

I think Kerr's biggest thing is establishing a great culture at GS.

17. dmoneybangbang

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are there coaches that are better than McHale? Sure. Will any of them turn the team around? Maybe.

But I believe the Rockets' problems is more player than coach. Many people pointed out that this same group of players with Harden as the lead guy reached WCF. Well, they reached WCF with McHale as the coach.

So you can't go both ways. If it's McHale that caused this season's collapse, then it's also McHale that caused last season's success. If it's the players (led by Harden) that achieved last season's success, this season's collapse is also on the players.

I've been saying this. Last season's success was a fluke. Thinking we were actually the second best team in the West last season is just homer delusion. There were plenty of signs, especially in the playoffs that the Rockets were a weak-minded bunch who could not play well for a long stretch and consistently gave up when the going got tough. The only inspiring exception was the 4th quarter of Games 6 against the Clippers. And it was with Harden sitting on the bench the whole time (and it was actually a gutsy thing McHale did).