1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can the Rockets win with this team next year bringing almost everyone back plus a new coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Raven

Raven Member

The only person who can change the Rockets is Harden, and the only person who can change Harden is Les. I expect offseason fireworks.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets had a proven coach, and they sucked. Not every improvement is due to a coach. Teams/players get better as they age and from playing together, and from being more skilled than other teams. GSW is 30-2 without Kerr coaching a single game. They have a special mix of players - either that or Kerr is the best coach of all-time and has secret knowledge that no other coach in the league has that can be passed on to scrubs like Luke Walton that make him even better than Kerr.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Luke Walton wouldn't even take this job. We need to stop acting like the Rockets are some sort of preferred franchise. The NBA treats us like dirt just like all the other teams without Lebron, Curry, or Duncan. An assistant on a reigning champ and perennial contender would want to go to a better situation than the one we have right now, with high expectations and low player IQ's.

4. houtown

houtown Member

Everyone is acting like the Houston Rockets are a bad situation at the moment. Where else can you get two capable great players who can bring a championship to the team? People are over reacting about Harden in My opinion as the soul reason for problems of the team. Yeah, Harden needs to improve mentally, but I do not think it is a lost cause for the organization.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They also need better players. With James Harden at best it's a WCF showing with luck.....

This is the ceiling IMO.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This... Good Post sir..

I keep asking how many coaches do the Rockets have to hire and fire before they figure out the real problem....

T_Man

7. houtown

houtown Member

The Houston Rockets honestly did not hire any new coach, just promoted an assistant coach.

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

You know what keeps coming up every season? Some players keep talking about trusting or buying into the system. That tells me certain players are doing whatever the hell they want and aren't really being held accountable. A different system or coach won't solve that core issue. Players who refuse to buy into the system need to be moved.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Management is throwing crap on the wall and hope it sticks on the wall with Harden.

They are just bringing in random players that are mostly flawed to play with a flawed superstar.

Not going to be pretty.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yep and everyone already wants him gone...

So that will be coaches 3 - Players 0?

So we're on our 2nd coach, but yet we are still having the same issue... I get it.. the coach is young and inexperience.. So what happens if we get an experience coach and we still have the same issues...

I still agree with the Freak...

T_Man

11. houtown

houtown Member

Agree to disagree I guess, but it seems like the coaching staff has the same train of thought that the players did not respect to begin with the coach. I Am sympathetic toward the Bickerstaff situation, but I feel he is the coach at the moment and should be able to distinguish the problem if his predecessor couldn't figure out the problem with the team. Like I said before, this is possibly more of a mental issue than a basketball issue with the team.

1 person likes this.
  12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I agree with you, but you cant replace them all now. It will have to be during the summer.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd lean "no", but I wouldn't wait until next season to make changes. This year is already a waste, so get a coach now. I don't want this dragging all year with little success, go through an entire offseason, and still be wondering about the team's response to a new system. Start now. If team doesn't respond to new coach THIS season, make wholesale changes including Harden. The coach should be assured he won't be fired if team barely makes the playoffs, or damn, even misses it.

#33 Houstunna, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You kidding, right?

Harden is not a team player at all, and he plays no D either. This team will not win anything serious with him as the leader, no serious coach is willing to coach a Harden-led team.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

nope, we're looking at major roster changes in the off-season. This season has been over for a long time now but looks like Morey is content with us getting a 7-8th seed in the weak west and rd1 exit.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

You can't replace JB with a new coach. Whoever comes in will need his own assistants who might not be available. You can't have a new head coach with either no assistants or maybe one.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The answer is an easy "no".

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

it makes sense when your real coach is the GM, and he needs a puppet.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If a basketball coach can't function with only 1 or 2 of his own assistants, he's suspect anyway.

Basketball isn't intricate like football.

20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

No, neither Harden or Howard are capable leaders of a championship team. They both take joy over winning and that is not likely to change.