1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets make the playoffs without Patrick Patterson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Can we make the playoffs without Patterson?

1. NO. We are hopeless without our savior.

42 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Ha. Ha. Ha.

219 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

TRob shows promise, cant say that for DMo( who looks like a worse version of Channing Frye)

I think TRob can possibly play the 3, he has good ballhandling, and is only a jumpshot away from being dominant

2. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Every team goes on losing streaks at some point. To get too high or low just because of a losing or winning streak doesn't make sense. I look at the quality of basketball being played. It is much lower now than it was during that streak.

So because we had Yao and Tmac go out with injuries, we should be excused for sub-par performances in the past 3 years? That's an eternity in pro sports and usually people don't get that much rope with which to hang themselves. Portland got its entire FO cleaned out because of this exact thing.

There's a 5% chance of Trob becoming an all-star? Talk about your most arbitrary made-up nonsense ever. I would say there is a .01% chance of Trob becoming an all-star, does that make the trade awesome, because there is a 1 out of 10,000 chance that he is an all-star? I would say that PPat has a .02% chance of being an all-star, so I think the trade was twice as stupid... See how that doesn't make any ****ing sense?

I'm a chemical engineer by the way, so if you want to talk math or probability, go ahead and PM me. What you confuse is permutations, computations, and made-up nonsense. A permutation would be the effect that PPat has on all of his teammates and the team chemistry. A computation would be how effective he is individually. Made-up nonsense would be assigning a number to Trob's chances of being an all-star and running with a strawman argument to an illogical end.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

To the bold.

Judge the moves Morey makes. Not just the outcome, he's not solely responsible for players getting hurt year after year.

He rebuilt a team in about 3 years, meanwhile Sacramento is still trying to build even a playoff team since their Webber days...Minnesota still trying to build a team since the Garnett days...

It's not something that can be done over night, Yao Ming did not end 10 years ago.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

And you should stick to that. When the professional basketball GM with a track record of success tells me Trob has a chance to become an allstar, I'll take his word for it over some ****ing lab rat who doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to basketball. That's how I arbitrarily know Robinson's chances are greater than Patterson's, if you are still wondering.

How is chemical engineering by the way, interesting field. I run a trade desk for a hedge fund, deal with lots of probabilities there. Nice to meet you!

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think Patterson has that much effect on the team.

He fell right into the funk that the entire team fell into during January, in fact him and Morris were absolutely terrible in that month, there were games when combined they had 5 points and 2 rebounds.

I don't think there is any proof that he was a stabilizing figure for the team or that he was just this guy that is just consistent like say Scola was or how people make it seem like he was super consistent because he wasn't.

6. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

T-Rob is worse than Patterson.

Patterson could fill the PF spot okay, not great, but T-Rob fills it worse.

If anything, Morey downgraded the team.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am almost afraid to reply in this thread because I like the trade and even though I disagree with the OP in the sense that I think Patterson is better right now. I do believe he is just a role player and that long term we are better off. Anyone who thinks we are better now and I mean RIGHT NOW without PPat is stupid. PPat makes less mistakes plays better D and shoots better than any other PF we have on the team right now. Still I can't help remember all his crazy ranting and chest thumping about Morris.

Yes there are moments when DMo looks better than PPat and certainly DMo is a better low post player and probably a better rebounder. But he is inconsistent and the coach isn't using him properly. PPat was confident in his role. DMo is lost out there right now because he is unsure of his role. Play defense and stand out at the arc is what McHale is asking him to do. But he is missing too many shots and is not sure what to do. TRob is not ready for prime time yet and Delfino is an undersized PPat. McHale puts him out there to try and give him what PPat did. But it's an unrealistic request.

So yes we are issing PPat RIGHT NOW. Hopefully DMo or TRob figures it out by the end of the season. But unfortunately I think it will take at least an offseason. Maybe in the playoffs someone will step it up.

#47 Old Man Rock, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Obviously he is.

But the hope is that when Robinson is a 3rd year player that he's much better than Patterson could hope to be. It's really not that complex.

So basically all of you are valuing a 8th spot in the playoffs more than a Top 5 prospect? I doubt there is ANY GM in the NBA that would do the same thing.

9. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Yeah I played college basketball as well buddy... I wouldn't say I'm unfamiliar with the sport... Although I know that is just conjecture that could be filed under the 'internet hero' banner. But it is the truth, and if you go to some of my posts about basketball, screen and roll defense, offensive sets, etc. you can see that I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the nuances of the game.

10. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

As a funny addendum to my last statement which I just thought about... I played more basketball than Daryl Morey played in his entire life. Does that make me more correct?

I also just so happened to take math through non-linear systems of differential equations and abstract algebra, so I can understand the math behind analytics (and let me tell you that a confidence interval is something those people have never heard of or used in their life).

I am not suggesting that I could be a GM of a pro team (in fact I think I would not be all that great unless I was lucky), but I am suggesting that you are putting your eggs in the basket of a "****ing lab rat who doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to basketball". And one who never even played in college... Talk about laughable.

11. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, if you really want to get into the math, the chance of TRob becoming an all star when looked as an aggregate of top 5 picks is larger than 0.01%.

I refer you to this statistical analysis...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...s-and-Failure-through-Historical-Trends-1362/

On the flip side, big men are riskier than normal...

That said, assessing TRob as part of an aggregate doesn't really analyze TRob specifically, IE, he could have a lower or higher probability.

However, if we were looking at TRob as a typical top 5 pick, then the odds are pretty decent he'll turn out okay... it could just take some time for us to find out how he develops.

12. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I completely agree with this. PP was going to walk in a year - it's pretty clear the Rockets would not have paid him the money he would get from other teams. So we flipped a 3rd year player with 1 year left for a rookie 5th pick in the last draft with 3 years left. Rookie contracts have value, period. Esp. when the rookie is the 5th pick in the most recent draft and was on a mismanaged team. TRob is clearly worth more in the trade market than PP. Morey seemed beside himself with excitement after the trade.

Yes, PP is the better player right now (he's had 3 years!). But his ceiling is pretty clear while TRob's is not. Also, TRob's per 36 numbers are 10-11 pts 10-11 boards in crappy Sacramento. Even if you see the 5/5 numbers he had, keep in mind Asik's were 5 and 5 too before we decided to make him a starter.

Finally, I do agree our playoff chances have lessened somewhat with trading away PP and MM. But we're still around 90%. So we're still in good shape to make the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I used the numbers just for effect, not for realism. Every guy who comes in the league has a higher than .01% chance of being an all-star just predicated solely on the numbers (there are not 10,000 people in the league and there are more than 1 all-star).

I view him as a raw talent top 5 pick. That narrows my field of vision that I look to for comparison. It is very rare to find someone with a raw offensive game turning in to an all-star level player because of their offense. Ben Wallace did it with his D, and perhaps Trob can as well, but he would again be a massive exception to the rule.

14. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

At what point do we stop getting younger and actually keep players who are ready now? I mean we are already the youngest team in the league.

1 person likes this.
  15. amak316

amak316 Member

I will say its pretty sick that the loss against the warriors moved us from like 98% to make the playoffs to 92.7% (according to the hollinger system). That was a pretty massive loss to say the least.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

CXbby is an emotional poster that Clutch has called out for being condescending before. Don't take his bait.

17. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

yes of course

18. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Will keep in mind for the future, gracias amigo.

19. jocar

jocar Member

Lol! I'm seriously not sure if serious or just trollin, anymore. Your fixation on Beverley in every thread is muy loco. Soon you will appear at his house with his pet bunny on the stove.

20. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think he is hardly a raw prospect, just extremely inexperienced at the NBA level. I mean we are talking about someone who was playing with a bunch of kids at Kansas at thies time last year. He was a finalist for the Wooden last year. He isnt raw, so much as not nearly full developed. I respectfully disagree because I see so much talent and ability in his game. And playing for an up and coming franchise like our Rockets instead of that cesspool of wasted talent that is the Kings franchise will do wonders for TRob, I think.