1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets contend with Dwight at $15-$20 million?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, May 11, 2016.

1. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

with the new hack rules coming soon i would want to resign dwight to a nice low but long deal. He has his deficiencies but between him and capela C is solid. Even if he doesnt stay oh well Capela will also benefit from the hack rule changes. I certianly agree that Dwight is not the person we want to pay so much money for. Would rather get 2 good role players for that money instead of a max dwight.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, he will never mesh with Harden.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Can he aspire to be Ben Wallace, nothing more nothing less?

If so, then sure.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about either Nene or Noah for around 15M/per. Tough guys that are fiery. They don't have as much upside as Dwight, but are cheaper comparatively, and have other qualities as good teammates/role players.

If you are trying to change a culture defensively, Noah and his fiery leadership might be the kick in the pants the Rockets need.

5. Harden's beard

If only Dwight's defense was as good as Ben's when he was the same age...smh

6. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Howard is Done! he'll never win a ring.. got an attitude like Pippen when he was a Rocket...

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

With the right coach, I think so. We've seen what he can do in the playoffs when motivated. I think the question is do you gamble since there are chemistry issues or do you take a risk on Whiteside, but he has had motivation issues of his own. And I would not touch Horford unless KD is a guaranteed. His game is on a downward trend.

8. Harden's beard

sadly true..

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The West is too stacked unless we get Durant, Kawhi and LMA I do not see it

GSW
    Thunder
    Spurs
    Portland
    Clippers

Promising teams like TWolves might be a threat

Those should be better than us

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BBH - I apologize for the tardiness of my reply as this somehow got between the wickets.
    And, I too, have the utmost respect for yourself. Good to see you, man.

To begin with, looking at the situation as it exists ...and I know this is a general answer of sorts...

What this team needs out of our 5 is the ability to play strong interior D/block shots/rebound....

These qualities can be picked up in many players who don't have -
    Dwight's salary/capspace
    downside risk to career ending injury/preexisting deterioration
    A built in mentality/attitude/.clubhouse presence,that certainly precludes any killer instinct/will to win
    ...inability to accept the aforementioned role.

And I could go on, but I'm just sayin ...There are a lot of dudes plenty cheaper that fit the profile of what we need there.
    We don't need to be paying for a broken down wannabe Superman...that ties our hands...

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, what would it cost to sign Biyombo?

12. rockets13champs

16 million atleast

13. rockets13champs

Dont be shocked look at what tristian thompson got

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking, 20-21.

#114 Plowman, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm thinking 10 mill per for like 3 or 4 years, basically Asik's deal.

Biyombo is nice a D and rebounding C to have, but at his best he is Asik with better shot blocking. He has no hands and is a total zero in offense, is a good not great defender.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No way I would give him good money. Best case scenario for him is 'only' missing about 12 games. That's probably only when he's in a contract year. His decline in play will only continue. JVG speaks highly of Capela, so let him put his money where his mouth is.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ujiri is known to throw a lot of money to role players though...not sure if and how much Masai bets on Nogueira, if he's high on him maybe he will let Biyombo go for 10x, if not i don't think he will...

Anyway, if Derozan leaves, they'll have something like 20 millions but with only 6/7 players under contract (Lowry, Vala, PPat, Joseph, Carroll, Ross and a couple of rookies) since Scola and Johnson are also expirings.

The important thing is they don't have full bird rights on Biyombo (as malakas noted in another thread), so they'll not be able to resign him going over the cap IF Derozan stays there since his cap hold is something like 15 if i remember well...that leaves them in a position to choose between 7/8x for Biyombo or resign Scola, Johnson...and if Derozan leaves they'll have to sign someone to replace him...

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

KEEP DWIGHT HOWARD AWAY!

Make this message because I know that Les Alexander has worked his way up the ladder...........please tell him
    Dwight Howard must not hold the whole Rockets Organizatiom at bay.
    He is trying to come to the Rockets to begin a long Spring and Summer training schedulae and he has set his sight on the Rockets as the venue.

Make sure that the Head Honcho ( Lesle Alexander ) is well aware of the attitude to apply to Dwight, a permanent Watch should be shown all over the Rockets facilities
    If possible to him from using

The Rockets are reforming another team and we want Dwight to go to another Clubs(s) Howard shown such a little enthusiam for what we do there and Leslie should deal with Howard in franc terms The team made such
    a poor showing last season
    . Almost to the 'DOGS'

KEEP DWIGHT FROM THE ROCKETS
    YETTI:)

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'll be sure to pass it on, thanks.

20. valorita

valorita Member

Expecting Dwight to change his attitude or game is dumb.
    If you don't think that Dwight is the right star next to Harden, which he isn't...
    Then move on.
    Rockets already have the hardest piece to get which is a top flight talent.
    Now you have to change gears and be picky about who you put next to that talent.
    Harden needs a fiery leader who can be effective without the ball at times and also create offense.