1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the NBA sustain this? How does this affect the consumer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 1, 2016.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i think you mean that's what would happen if you got rid of the salary cap. then all of the big market teams could spend whatever they want.

getting rid of the max contract would actually level the playing field. the heat couldn't get their big 3 together under the cap if lebron and wade were asking for $50M per year. but since lebron and wade were only allowed to get $16M per year, he and wade and bosh could all fit under the cap. maximum contracts allow teams to gather better players together. without maxes, the best players would have poor supporting casts while other teams could build more balanced rosters that might have the same overall talent.

as much as the best players probably hate max contracts from a financial perspective, they should thank them for helping their teams from a competitive perspective.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ah, my mistake.
    Switched max contract and salary cap in my head.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but they are saying they are paying way more PER VIEWER. so even if they are getting these extra viewers, which seems unlikely given the massive viewership lead football has in america, they are still trying to get back way more advertising revenue from each viewer.

but how much of advertising is sports equipment? there is still plenty of beer and ED pills to be sold during football games.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

That cost was to ESPN/TNT broadcasting in the US, not in Asia and Europe. So the per person cost is per US viewer where NBA cost is more than NFL. Also, while the Conference Finals and Finals had higher viewership in like 20 years, the regular season has been declining in viewership. Do you think that amount of money per viewer is sustainable for the US market in 5 years? 10 yrs? I'm not so sure.

Also, I mentioned in my prior post that it is unclear how much the foreign market impact will impact things, and that would be the kicker to if a bubble happens or not. The NBA signed a Chinese TV deal for $700 back in 2014, and if that market grows a crazy rate, then sure they will be fine. I'm just saying you cannot presume that growth will continue as is.

5. nono

nono Member

I've already minimized my basketball viewing. Won't ever subscribe to NBA League Pass and Roots Sports Southwest can go screw themselves.

6. nono

nono Member

It's already like that anyways.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

However it got started, the idea that all entertainment is paid for by advertising revenue is insane. It leads to bogus claims, material envy, false superiority of 'brands' and unnecessary spending. And, it slows down the flow of athletic events to where they are unwatchable. It's corporate bullshait trying to suck your hard earned dollars into their profit stream.

But, you don't have to be their dupe. Be a smart consumer with skeptical eyes; because advertising will use all manner of psychological tricks and outright lies. Look for the real value of things and where comparable qualities can be had at lower prices. Create your own value system outside of what is popular, recognize created frenzies.

Again, I cannot watch an NBA or NFL game on real time, it's just to slow and disjointed. Set the DVR for the game, do something else for an hour and then come in an start it. Fast forward through the commercials and you should catch the last minutes in real time so you do experience the reality of the event.

Use those corporate toadies against themselves and let them pay for you.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This just signals the end of long-term deals for superstars IMO. If the cap keeps going up and all indications is that it will, contracts get outdated quicker and stars wont sign a deal that locks them in for 3-4 more seasons after it does.

9. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

They are probably gonna **** themselves over lik soccer has by basically giving players any amount the demand

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's not a random amount they are splitting, it's the money the league is making. The new salary cap is just 49% of the profits compared to the 51% the owners are getting. Increase the prices, and player incomes go up some more.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Guys.<br>ESPN/TNT just paid the NBA $24 BILLION. Either the owners keep nearly All of it, or half goes to the players. <br>This version is better.</p>&mdash; Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/749061673907085312">July 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Why would the they pay the NBA that much??

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good on you man. I do not plan to watch all 82 Rockets games like I used to. I will probably watch my fair share because that's what I have been doing for years and it's difficult to totally stop but I plan to slowly ease off it. This stupid front office led by the fat hack Murray and the insane money beign thrown around at scrubs which diminishes overall quality are good enough reasons for me not to be fully invested in the NBA.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I have quit on the NBA years ago. I find the players to be obnoxious, they don't play as hard as they used to either. The game is more about "fun" than competitiveness. The game used to be rough and tough, I liked that era. Again, the pussification of the league is not appealing.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

b/c that's how much the NBA televised product is worth to them, in terms of their ratings and ad revenue they can generate.

They're in business, so it must be worth it. In fact, TNT et al. must still make a killing by televising these games.

So then, the advertisers are paying crazy amounts for the ad time, right? And in the end, that means Buffalo Wild Wings sports bar or dominoes pizza or whatever crap is making huge bank over their consumers.

16. RedRedemption

And then you came back and posted this equally obnoxious message.

17. RedRedemption

Power flips in the NBA. Yeah it's not 30 team parity but the contenders phase in and out every season.

In soccer the richest teams will always be contending. Yeah every once in a while there is a one and done shocker but that's it.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You are not too bright are you. I never left this forum, my relationship with the NBA has nothing to do with me posting here. Don't think you know what obnoxious means either.

19. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The new salary cap is based on the past revenue, and projected revenue the future contract brings in, such as TV deal, name rights, etc. Those will impact the TV commercial price as the TV stations need to make those money back.

All stadium related revenues, include ticket sale, exclusively belong to the individual team, not part of the profit sharing the NBA operates under. The ticket price has no direct relationship with the salary cap.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No effect on the fans, baseball, soccer all have higher priced players.

DD