1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the NBA sustain this? How does this affect the consumer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you don't understand basic economic principles I have no time for your comps of today's contracts vs contracts of yesteryear/diff sports</p>&mdash; JJ Redick (@JJRedick) <a href="https://twitter.com/JJRedick/status/749028266472767492">July 1, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

It affects us indirectly in the Houston strip clubs. These girls will want more money balling will be raised to another level.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dude single handedly helped the Knicks make the Playoffs while Melo and other pieces were out. Even Melo can't help the Knicks make the Playoffs these days.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just print out fake bills that look realistic.. You know they don't scan them before you stuff it between the g-strings and toss it on the stage.

5. rocket43

rocket43 Member

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Personally, with the Rockets sucking under this egotistical, moronic, triple chinned Mauri and the stupid money being thrown around to scrub players, I plan on slowly becoming a casual NBA fan. No more arranging my schedule around the NBA games I want to watch. No more watching all 82 Rockets games. No more paying out of my pocket to go to Toyota Center to watch games.

7. BackdoorHarden

$$$ G'YALL.

CREAM IT.

I wish I was a little taller, I wish I was a Baller being an above average NBA player making $153 millions DOLLLA Y"ALL :mad:

8. BackdoorHarden

ESPN sources say the Knicks have made a four-year offer to Courtney Lee

Can we guess how much that offer was?

I bet 4 years $65 millions

9. BackdoorHarden

"FULL SERVICE" just went up from $300 to $2k :( : ( :mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i say 50.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With Jeremy Lin in Brooklyn, the Knicks have to sign Courtney Lee to go after the Asian market.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

not if Houston avoids signing non-All-Stars to 100+ million $ contracts, lol... Maybe... :)

13. BackdoorHarden

Whoa. That's some marketing 101 there!

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Get rid of the max contract and you will have FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, maybe two teams with genius GMs who will give their franchises false hope and 23 dog**** teams with no hope of ever winning anything.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

As others have said, welcome to the global era of the NBA. Its not that the NBA is willing to spend, it's they HAVE to spend, because according to the agreement between players and the NBA the players have to get a certain percentage of the profits.

Considering everyone from China to the US is watching Lebron pay, I think him getting 30M is expected.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes TV stations and distributors have paid huge figures to get viewership to make up for all lost money/viewers of most regular broadcasting over the past 15-20 years. However, this just feels like some sort of bubble. At some point, people will just stop paying for cable and leagues will start selling to enough people directly through their websites, that the TV deals will not be worth as much.

The big question is when that happens, will the leagues make enough from their websites directly and/or from overseas markets to make up for it. I'm not so sure and if not, I would not be surprised to see all these prices fall back down.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jealous sports fans who can't stand to see athletes making millions make for bad economists.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

http://deadspin.com/espn-and-tnt-think-nba-broadcasts-are-worth-a-lot-more-1642795289

This is what I mean. Bubble...

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's very possible. but if the league makes less money, then they just pay the players less money because the players always only get 50% of whatever money the league makes. so in theory, it always balances out. the players get 50%, the owners get 50% and whatever is left over from all of the other expenses is profit (or loss) for the owners. higher player salaries can only result from extra revenue, they can't cut into that revenue.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

What "bubble" are you talking about? How many people are in China watching NBA games? How many of those people buy NBA merchandise and would be willing to buy a Nike, Adidas or Under Armor shoe because it is being endorsed by LBK, Kobe or Steph Curry? Considering NBA viewership ratings have been breaking records the last couple of years unless some kind of cataclym happens and a lot of NBA viewers suddenly die I don't see that bubble popping anytime soon.

I'm not sure why somebody would even question whether NBA viewers should be worth more than NFL viewers thanks to advertisers. Maybe it's because in the US American Football is a big thing, but in Asia and Europe nobody gives a **** about it. And American Football is not at all relatable, you need all sorts of equipment, a big space and 30 guys before you can play so if Nike comes out with a designer football helmet and body armor how many people would buy that stuff? OTH, with basketball all you really need is a ball and a hoop and a lot of the merchandise can be worn normally, people walk around in jerseys, shorts and sneakers all the time. The difference in value to advertisers is so lopsided it's not even funny.