1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the NBA sustain this? How does this affect the consumer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Jul 1, 2016.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Good for the players. These guys will make more money than 99% of us... Saying that Lebron or KD is worth close to 50 million per season may sound crazy to us...but the NBA has essentially shown that teams are willing to spend on ANYONE.

But at some point, I am worried that these extra costs will get passed on to us...the consumer.

Dont really see myself purchasing a $100 Mosgov jersey anytime soon...but dont be surprised if this price point is the case in the near future.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The cap is higher because they were already making more money.

It's a lot from TV deals

3. jjc1

jjc1 Member

These crazy contracts will ruin the NBA. Expect to see big price hike for tickets, jerseys, food and drinks in the arena...... Cable prices will also go up due to this.

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I think the biggest problem will be team chemistry. Players cant help but be jealous of guys getting the crazy money that they don't really deserve. Everyone remembers Melo and J.R. Smith's reaction to Lin's 3 year $25 mil deal.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The cap didn't just randomly raise out of nowhere, it is directly correlated with the increase in TV deal revenue.
    Now, if the NBA experiences another explosion in popularity and maybe outpaces one of the big leagues it is trailing, then yes the prices will increase.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The biggest impact is on the cable TV bills. Also the rate that advertisers pay to show commercials during game broadcasts.

In both cases the impact is indirect.

7. dmoneybangbang

Seriously? Do folks not keep up with current events?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is a legit concern. Scrubs are getting more than stars

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It will be the same as the previous 35 years : Fans being jealous of athlete's salaries compared to the common man, just even more venemous.

I dont think consumer costs will be affected much.

Salary cap is dictated by money the league has already made, not future un-made money. Add in teams possibly getting revenue from jersey ads, teams would have a hard time justifying ticket and merch price hikes.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The impact is the other way around actually. The revenue increases before the cap goes up and the salary with it. The NBA is already getting the extra money before sharing it with the players. Player salary is a set % of Basketball Related Income.

The NBA cannot simply pass the cost down to consumers if the market isn't there to buy what the NBA is selling at a higher price.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ticket prices will always go up.... that's inevitable regardless.

12. jsingles

jsingles Member

That's the only issue I thought of when agreements started to be reached. Harden is set to make under 17M this upcoming season, less than Beal, Batum, Parsons and Fournier will make per year on their deals. If/when we sign a free-agent it'll likely be for more per year than Harden makes. I really thought that caused a rift that Howard was making a lot more than Harden was and this was his team.

13. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Maybe they ought to just scrap the salary cap.

14. jjc1

jjc1 Member

I know what you are saying, but at the end of the day a team's payroll will go up by let's say $20 million and it's profit will go down. I think more and more people will cut the cord so I don't think the TV revenue will be there in the long run.

15. TheresTheDagger

Concern to who?

Owners and superstars...yeah sure.

Me? Couldn't care less.

16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Lol little to no impact on the consumer...as others have said, it's TV money. Everyone is overreacting to a perfectly logical and expected series of events

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

100k per ticket to cover the max contracts?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, the NBA can sustain it.

Evan Turner is getting 75mm because LeBron is capped at 30 and Karl Anthony Towns is capped at 6.

19. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

They need to get rid of the concept of the max contract and the whole pay structure will at least be more logical.

20. hvic

hvic Member

Every year les will bump up the price